Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 15th April 2023 | KO 3.00PM

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Campbell is a promising youngster, but promising youngsters are inconsistent, and will have stinkers as well as great games.

I've said this before, but for all their mediocrity, loaning out both DJ and Kirk in January has left us light in wide attacking areas. CBT's injury has meant Campbell being overplayed.
    I totally agree. He looks a fine prospect but as you nuture certain players, part of them is giving them a run and then a rest. A chance to look at what works and what doesn't etc...
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    cs1986 said:
    Leuth said:
    Only positive is it will hopefully show Holden or our new owner that this squad needs a huge overhual. I was on the fence keeping Innis as back up, but fuck him, insane to get 4 reds this season. Liability. 
    One was rescinded, so 3. Let's go through them. 

1x trying to score a header in the 96th minute 
    2x side by side challenging a forward and being sent off for a perceived last-man foul

Would you rather he not try to score, or that he simply lets the forward go through completely unchallenged? Red cards as last man are always a risk when midfields have free rein to knock through balls. Maybe he could have been a bit cuter on those two occasions (the MK Dons one was even more dubious) but it isn't like he's diving in two-footed 
    Inniss is pony. Slow and a hot head and injury prone. He won't get another contract at this level unless it's from us. I'd put money on it.
    There are about 20 clubs in this league, at least, who'd be happy to have him in the squad. Of those about 15 would have him as a nailed-on starter. Slow? He's not, if you watch him. A hot head? Not this season (see above). Injury prone? Not this season. I'd really love to hear Holden's thoughts about him. I suspect they'd be greatly at odds with the majority here
    Maybe 20 league 2 teams but definitely not league 1. His sprint speed isn’t slow but it’s the acceleration and how agile he is/turning speed is the problem. And he’s too slow with the ball at his feet. I think bottom end of league 1 is his level, where a team won’t play a high line and won’t be passing it out from the back as much 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    cs1986 said:
    Leuth said:
    Only positive is it will hopefully show Holden or our new owner that this squad needs a huge overhual. I was on the fence keeping Innis as back up, but fuck him, insane to get 4 reds this season. Liability. 

2x side by side challenging a forward and being sent off for a perceived last-man foul

Would you rather he not try to score, or that he simply lets the forward go through completely unchallenged? Red cards as last man are always a risk when midfields have free rein to knock through balls. Maybe he could have been a bit cuter on those two occasions (the MK Dons one was even more dubious) but it isn't like he's diving in two-footed 
    Inniss is pony. Slow and a hot head and injury prone. He won't get another contract at this level unless it's from us. I'd put money on it.
    There are about 20 clubs in this league, at least, who'd be happy to have him in the squad. Of those about 15 would have him as a nailed-on starter. Slow? He's not, if you watch him. A hot head? Not this season (see above). Injury prone? Not this season. I'd really love to hear Holden's thoughts about him. I suspect they'd be greatly at odds with the majority here
    Maybe 20 league 2 teams but definitely not league 1. His sprint speed isn’t slow but it’s the acceleration and how agile he is/turning speed is the problem. And he’s too slow with the ball at his feet. I think bottom end of league 1 is his level, where a team won’t play a high line and won’t be passing it out from the back as much 
    Well, if I was owner of a team aiming to stay in League One and even push up the table next season and Inniss was available on a free he'd be my first signing, along with a decent forward (Bonne? Haha just kidding) 

Central defenders have it tough with fans. Their highlights reel is essentially their mistakes. Their good work is rarely spectacular or memorable. Our fans are particularly good at picking on centre-backs' errors. I thought it would be impossible to build someone more prone to CL brickbats than Naby Sarr but it seems we've found it. I get that 'no brainfades' is something of a requirement for centre-back, but it's hard to not feel sorry for those who are dominant and secure 99% of the time but who get a reputation for being SHIT because they screw up a few times a season. Compare that to serial hiders like Kirk or Gilbey who pop up with the odd thing in the attacking third and so get people convinced they're worth another chance and you see why centre-backs find it hardest to turn their reputations around
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    cs1986 said:
    Leuth said:

I personally don't think Innis is good enough to certainly be a starter in a promotion chasing XI, and its not a coincidence that the first season we have seen him actually play over 15 games we have seen much of his weaknesses exposed.

However his issues are nothing to do with being slow, or un-agile, which I feel is a fallacy which is often thrown out - perhaps because of his size. 

For lack of a better link, but someone who is slow and has a poor turning speed would not have been able to make this recovery challenge. 

https://m.facebook.com/OfficialCAFC/videos/ryan-inniss-pulls-off-brilliant-last-ditch-tackle-against-portsmouth/284442137117635/

• Options
    How did we play? 

Did we play?
  • Options

• Options
    Well I think today sums up my feelings for the season.
    we need a proper investing owner or we will remain a mid table league 1 team forever 👎👎👎👎👎👎
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    cs1986 said:
    Leuth said:

I personally don't think Innis is good enough to certainly be a starter in a promotion chasing XI, and its not a coincidence that the first season we have seen him actually play over 15 games we have seen much of his weaknesses exposed.

However his issues are nothing to do with being slow, or un-agile, which I feel is a fallacy which is often thrown out - perhaps because of his size. 

For lack of a better link, but someone who is slow and has a poor turning speed would not have been able to make this recovery challenge. 

https://m.facebook.com/OfficialCAFC/videos/ryan-inniss-pulls-off-brilliant-last-ditch-tackle-against-portsmouth/284442137117635/

That clip the attacker has to run further to get round the ball, Inniss just has a straight line run, which as I said isn’t a problem for him as his running speed is fine. It’s more about how he defends against a non-direct team, like Ipswich, he’s just not quick/agile enough to react to what’s around him. He often loses his man or doesn’t pick up a runner. And then when he’s on the ball against a team that presses high, he is also too slow to make the right decision or not good enough to play the pass  

He’s a good old-school head it/kick it/block it centre back which you do need against some teams at this level but he gets exposed against more technical teams (Ipswich away this and last season) and when playing in a team that is trying to play out from the back. We can’t ignore the side of the game that he is good at, but I’d much rather we have players like Hector who can do that side but also not have so many shortcomings elsewhere. 

I don’t think it would be the end of the world if we kept Inniss. His fitness is better now and he’s relatively cheap I believe. But he can’t be in our top 3 options next season at CB or it’s just going to be more of the same 
  • Options
    The frustrating thing about Inniss this season, is that he's maintained fitness right throughout and has managed to largely control the "brainfade psycho" moments which blighted his early career.

Instead he mistakes have generally been of the clumsy variety. The second yellows and last man fouls which all centre backs get, but he gets too many of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought it was a very even game that could have gone either way. Unlucky chaps
  • Options
    Spare a thought for Mrs AFKA, 1st away game she’s been able to do for 13 years and we go and get smashed 6-0! 
  • Options
    Spare a thought for Mrs AFKA, 1st away game she’s been able to do for 13 years and we go and get smashed 6-0! 
    There is a joke there somewhere!