Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Appearing to Pray After Scoring?

Comments

• Stig said:
    se9addick said:
    Makes you wonder if there would be less shit going on in the world if god wasn’t having to deal with the prayers of blokes being paid a load of money to play football. Still, each to their own and on the subject of gestures I liked what looked to be a choreographed blm kneeling dance off between the two teams yesterday. More of that please with something along the lines of that troupe that did well on Britains got talent a few years back.
    I was a bit confused about what was happening pre-kick off yesterday, was it moments silence? Was it a new way of choreographing the taking the knee. 
    Me too. I thought it was going to be a minute's silence and I was wracking my brain trying to remember who'd died this week. It turns out that it was a Civil War Re-enactment: Our players all stood there like privates on parade whilst on the pre-arranged signal, theirs all dropped to their knees, fired their imaginary muskets and shot our boys in the chests. It was a nice little theatrical, but I think if they're really going to make these scenes work we might need those that are shot to fall over and roll around a bit (they are footballers, so it can't be that hard). Also some smoke and Kensington gore wouldn't go amiss.   
    Is this serious or am I being whooshed?
    It seems like a script on Would I Lie to You.
    It's gotta be a lie hasn't it?

• edited April 2023
    Stig said:
    Stig said:
    se9addick said:
    Makes you wonder if there would be less shit going on in the world if god wasn’t having to deal with the prayers of blokes being paid a load of money to play football. Still, each to their own and on the subject of gestures I liked what looked to be a choreographed blm kneeling dance off between the two teams yesterday. More of that please with something along the lines of that troupe that did well on Britains got talent a few years back.
    I was a bit confused about what was happening pre-kick off yesterday, was it moments silence? Was it a new way of choreographing the taking the knee. 
    Me too. I thought it was going to be a minute's silence and I was wracking my brain trying to remember who'd died this week. It turns out that it was a Civil War Re-enactment: Our players all stood there like privates on parade whilst on the pre-arranged signal, theirs all dropped to their knees, fired their imaginary muskets and shot our boys in the chests. It was a nice little theatrical, but I think if they're really going to make these scenes work we might need those that are shot to fall over and roll around a bit (they are footballers, so it can't be that hard). Also some smoke and Kensington gore wouldn't go amiss.   
    Is this serious or am I being whooshed?
    It seems like a script on Would I Lie to You.
    It's gotta be a lie hasn't it?

Well, my gob is well and truly smacked & I'm thinking this is now verging on a comedy sketch.
    No offence to friends and family of Stephen Lawrence, but I'm starting to think the world's gone mad.
    I'd say the same if the police hadn't properly investigated a murder of a white youth 30 years ago.
    I mean it doesn't do any harm, but players re-enacting the civil war of another country from one hundred and fifty years ago before they start a game of football. Speechless.
  • Trust the Charlton players are reading this and start a new trend.

Just put one arm up and walk back to the center circle. 
    👍

👍
    Can I see Ackers in the middle there?
  • Curb_It said:
    There is a brave man with a loud speaker, who I have seen twice now on Beresford square with his loudspeaker plugged in.  He's  yelling in the street listing out all the sins you can go to hell for as I'm rushing to get on my bus... I find myself nodding along, yep, done that, yep that one too... 

No idea how he is getting away with half the stuff he is saying.  

I had my fill of religion from a father driven demented by it.  I have no time for it now because of that but I wont criticise anyone  that believes and takes comfort from their own faith.  I have seen from many how it gives people comfort. 

Absolutely this.  I was baptized and took communion as a catholic and my old man still goes to Church.  It’s not for me, but he doesn’t go around telling others they’re going to hell for their sins.  I can understand why some people are against it, but to me, when you consider everything else the human race puts its belief in, real or make believe, so what if people want to have faith?  

We all have things we believe in, and have faith in, religion is simply another form of this.  As with all these things, live and let live imo 
  • doesn't this belong in the politics forum? with the other make believe stuff?
  • edited April 2023
    This is the time, this is the place
    So we look for the future
    But there's not much love to go round
    Tell me why this is a land of confusion

This is the world we live in (Oh, oh, oh)
    And these are the hands we're given (Oh, oh, oh)
    Use them and let's start trying (Oh, oh, oh)
    To make it a place worth living in

Genesis
  • Can't beat a devout atheist once they've started preaching. 🙄

Up there with vegans on announcing what they are at every available opportunity.
  • edited April 2023
    Gribbo said:
    Can't beat a devout atheist once they've started preaching. 🙄

Up there with vegans on announcing what they are at every available opportunity.
    Have I ever told anyone I’m ………
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:

How can you be a 'devout atheist' exactly? Its like saying devout bald person. 

👍
    I of course was referring to a player like Alan Clarke of Walsall ,Fulham ,Leicester and Leeds Utd re one arm in the air.

As for that photo of the England team in Berlinin1936 can you spot Don Welsh?
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Gribbo said:

How can you be a 'devout atheist' exactly? Its like saying devout bald person. 
    Yeah I know mate
  • Gribbo, wins the award for the best Oxymoron used on CL for 'Devout Atheist'

Off it, wins the award for the best DIY "I sliced off my foreskin with a stapler in my own ceremony by the photocopier"
  • To the original question / observation my assumption it is for many just ‘fad’ / fashion. But not all. 

I think that because generally I understand fewer people practice religion these days but also the general copycat nature of young footballers - like Albie Morgan tearing holes in the back of his socks, players wearing gloves on mild days, corner kicks being taken with the ball on the outside of the ‘corner marking / white line’ etc etc 

• Another copycat one is players banging the ground with their hands when they're down injured.
  • If it's not for attention why do they need to pray on the field & not do it in the dressing room before the game starts ? 
    Religion & political beliefs should be kept personal & not put on show on the field of play 
  • Fumbluff said:

Genesis
    Surely a better choice would be 

I'll get you everything you wanted
    I'll get you everything you need
    You don't need to believe in hereafter
    Just believe in me

'Cause Jesus, He knows me and He knows I'm right
    I've been talkin' to Jesus all my life
    Oh, yes He knows me and He knows I'm right
    And He's been tellin' me everything is alright
  • This is my goal-scorer in whom I am well pleased, saith the Lord.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    i do the prayer celebration thing after sex with my Mrs....

ok a few hours before I ask but it still counts

• Fumbluff said:

Genesis
    Surely a better choice would be 

I'll get you everything you wanted
    I'll get you everything you need
    You don't need to believe in hereafter
    Just believe in me

'Cause Jesus, He knows me and He knows I'm right
    I've been talkin' to Jesus all my life
    Oh, yes He knows me and He knows I'm right
    And He's been tellin' me everything is alright
    Surely if you’re predicated to believe all this shit then you shouldn’t have Jesus being referenced in Genesis, but if you’re wise enough to know it’s all a load of old crap then sure, you win…. 
  • JaShea99 said:
    I will say this then bow out of what I see is becoming a very heated and potentially nasty thread..
    I am a confirmed Anglican, and therefor a believer, and do not take well to being called a "God Botherer", and it seems that a non believer looks upon a believer as being deluded, and obviously wrong, but we are all individuals and whether believer or not deserve respect.
    I will never castigate anyone for not believing, and would just say that God watches over us all in equal measures, so let's just leave it there shall we regarding any rights or wrongs please, and treat everyone as friends..
    I will say that any player giving thanks either when scoring a goal or coming onto the pitch is a personal thing and should be treated as such
    Prove it....
    He would, but God moves in mysterious ways.
    But not in SE7, apparently...
  • Thinking of starting a sister thread:
    'Fans who pray for their team to score before the match starts'
  • Thinking of starting a sister thread:
    'Fans who pray for their team to score before the match starts'
    The older I get, the more atheist I become.

However, when I was a kid, I did believe in God (sort of) and once I decided to pray before an important game for my local Danish side.

We lost 3-0.
  • Saha said him coming off injured against Leicester and then Palace winning with a late goal was Gods work. He sure does come up with some funny ideas does God. 
  • Foxycafc said:
    Why do people have so much hate for Christianity but shy away when it comes to criticising Islam/Judaism/Sikhism/Buddhism/Hinduism etc?

Edited: Don't answer that. Not really sure I want an argument of that scale.
    It can all get in the bin.

I have 3 muslims in my team and they're currently abiding by Ramadan. They're all tired, lack motivation and productivity is down. I can't (and wouldnt) discriminate against them, so i just suck it up and work harder myself. Its mental to me.
    Lol.

I've asked Muslims how Ramadan works if you're in the north of Norway or Sweden in summer where the sun doesn't set.

Try that out. The replies will make you smile.
  • As I watched the football yesterday, I saw a few players run on the pitch looking up to the sky and pointing that way.
    And I wondered. Are they really praying? Or are they like me. Before I do anything where I feel I need a bit of help or assistance, I do look up & say to myself, ‘Dad, if you’re up there, help me out here would you?’.
    It’s quite possible that they too are just asking those they love, who have now gone, to watch over them and bring them a bit of luck.

I wouldn’t call that religious myself.

• Foxycafc said:
    Why do people have so much hate for Christianity but shy away when it comes to criticising Islam/Judaism/Sikhism/Buddhism/Hinduism etc?

Edited: Don't answer that. Not really sure I want an argument of that scale.
    It can all get in the bin.

I have 3 muslims in my team and they're currently abiding by Ramadan. They're all tired, lack motivation and productivity is down. I can't (and wouldnt) discriminate against them, so i just suck it up and work harder myself. Its mental to me.
    Lol.

I've asked Muslims how Ramadan works if you're in the north of Norway or Sweden in summer where the sun doesn't set.

Try that out. The replies will make you smile.
    Go on then.....
  • edited April 2023
    What’s been a hangover for me from my formative Catholic upbringing years, is, regardless of how young, if you missed Sunday Mass it’s a mortal sin and if you should die before making a confession, you’ll burn 🔥 in hell for eternity.

What sort of teaching is that likely to have on young impressionable and sensitive minds?