Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Appearing to Pray After Scoring?

Comments

• ross1 said:
    se9addick said:
    Makes you wonder if there would be less shit going on in the world if god wasn’t having to deal with the prayers of blokes being paid a load of money to play football. Still, each to their own and on the subject of gestures I liked what looked to be a choreographed blm kneeling dance off between the two teams yesterday. More of that please with something along the lines of that troupe that did well on Britains got talent a few years back.
    I was a bit confused about what was happening pre-kick off yesterday, was it moments silence? Was it a new way of choreographing the taking the knee. 
    If you are serious, it was Stephen Lawrence day, 30 years since his death, his mother, Baroness Lawrence was presented with a Charlton shirt. If you know this and your comment was a joke, excuse my ignorance 🤔
    I wasn’t aware it was Stephen Lawrence Day until you just pointed it out. Quite a few around me didn’t know either and we stood thinking there was going to be a minutes applause/silence for some reason. Was confused when one never happened.
  • ross1 said:
    se9addick said:
    Makes you wonder if there would be less shit going on in the world if god wasn’t having to deal with the prayers of blokes being paid a load of money to play football. Still, each to their own and on the subject of gestures I liked what looked to be a choreographed blm kneeling dance off between the two teams yesterday. More of that please with something along the lines of that troupe that did well on Britains got talent a few years back.
    I was a bit confused about what was happening pre-kick off yesterday, was it moments silence? Was it a new way of choreographing the taking the knee. 
    If you are serious, it was Stephen Lawrence day, 30 years since his death, his mother, Baroness Lawrence was presented with a Charlton shirt. If you know this and your comment was a joke, excuse my ignorance 🤔
    Yeah I was being serious - I must have missed the announcement. I was aware that is was 30 years since his death however as it was on the tunnel and the sponsorship screens but didn’t realise the centre circle event was related, my bad. 
  • Foxycafc said:
    I was raised a Catholic, it wasn’t my choice but my mothers, she being one of my primary care givers and made that decision on my behalf, me being too young to know any better.

So, I believed in God into my teens, when I became old enough to make my own decisions and I now no longer do and I no longer do because of my life experience which would have in some part been influenced by others, I have no problem with that.

As someone said earlier, that so many follow like sheep, tattoos, wearing baseball caps backwards etc, there’s a need for some to belong to a tribe.

I seem to remember you saying you’re quite young, you’ll understand when you get a bit older.
    I was raised Christian, then fell away but have come back recently due to "my life experience"; what's your expert opinion on that?
    Good for you, you made a decision based on your needs at the moment.
  • cafcfan said:
    I have no faith.  But if I did, I would find it a little insulting to the diety that you'd expect her to have some influence over a football match.

For that reason, I find all the god-bothering on the field of play a little bit distasteful and faintly ridiculous.
    Athletes like to quote that it’s a path for them chosen by god when they win and lose. I don’t really have a problem with it, it’s not hurting anyone as long as they heap as much praise on the people that helped them get there. I think it’s all shite but it doesn’t hurt anyone I guess.
  • Foxycafc said:
    I was raised a Catholic, it wasn’t my choice but my mothers, she being one of my primary care givers and made that decision on my behalf, me being too young to know any better.

So, I believed in God into my teens, when I became old enough to make my own decisions and I now no longer do and I no longer do because of my life experience which would have in some part been influenced by others, I have no problem with that.

As someone said earlier, that so many follow like sheep, tattoos, wearing baseball caps backwards etc, there’s a need for some to belong to a tribe.

I seem to remember you saying you’re quite young, you’ll understand when you get a bit older.
    I was raised Christian, then fell away but have come back recently due to "my life experience"; what's your expert opinion on that?
    Good for you, you made a decision based on your needs at the moment.
    ... clever
  • Sillav - if anyone discusses politics, race, religion etc it's likely to end in a messy disagreement, because many are unable have a sensible discussion. Take it as a lesson learnt  ;)
  • edited April 2023
    I will say this then bow out of what I see is becoming a very heated and potentially nasty thread..
    I am a confirmed Anglican, and therefor a believer, and do not take well to being called a "God Botherer", and it seems that a non believer looks upon a believer as being deluded, and obviously wrong, but we are all individuals and whether believer or not deserve respect.
    I will never castigate anyone for not believing, and would just say that God watches over us all in equal measures, so let's just leave it there shall we regarding any rights or wrongs please, and treat everyone as friends..
    I will say that any player giving thanks either when scoring a goal or coming onto the pitch is a personal thing and should be treated as such
    But that’s an interesting point in itself  @eastterrace6168 as a non believer I don’t want those who do believe to put there beliefs on me, as far as I’m concerned he doesn’t watch over me.

That’s not a dig at you ether, but my sister is always saying ‘God Bless’ to me and to be honest, it irritates the f*ck out of me and I repeatedly ask her not to say it. I feel, knowing her as I do, it’s slightly hypocritical coming from her.
  • Stop digging mate  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sillav - if anyone discusses politics, race, religion etc it's likely to end in a messy disagreement, because many are unable have a sensible discussion. Take it as a lesson learnt  ;)
    Good point.

An innocent observation has gone very very south @coveredend
  • edited April 2023
    Sillav - if anyone discusses politics, race, religion etc it's likely to end in a messy disagreement, because many are unable have a sensible discussion. Take it as a lesson learnt  ;)
    Good point.

An innocent observation has gone very very south @coveredend
    Innocent observations quite often head quickly south in 2023.
  • And so is Nick Pope.

I think if he ever scored then he would go up to the gantry in that huge stand and wave to the crowd.

If Nick Pope ever scored there will be smoke coming out of his arse.
  • And so is Nick Pope.

I think if he ever scored then he would go up to the gantry in that huge stand and wave to the crowd.

White or black?
  • And so is Nick Pope.

White or black?
    Grey 👍
  • Brown as not all of the fecal matter will be caught by the fabric of his underpants. 
    First FACT on this thread…
  • Yesterday why did all the Shrews players take the knee whilst we remained standing. We usually take the knee. 
    I stop and kneel beside you
    Drained of everything but pain
    Screaming throw myself in fury
    Over the edge and into your blood

• cafcfan said:
    I have no faith.  But if I did, I would find it a little insulting to the diety that you'd expect her to have some influence over a football match.

For that reason, I find all the god-bothering on the field of play a little bit distasteful and faintly ridiculous.
    I think that you're missing the point.

I wouldn't think that players are asking for influence over the match. I imagine that they are thanking God either:
    -  for having given the talent to play
    - for not having been born disabled or unhealthy 
    - for being fit and healthy
    - etc etc

When they score I suppose that they are thanking God for one or all of these, or maybe asking to continue to be kept fit and injury free.

I doubt they are justifiing to God that they deserve to win more than the other team. If we think that they are praying for victory then we are probably doing them a disservice.

Tattoos on the other hand…............ especially on the neck - ......................is there a tattoo thread?
  • Perhaps OP would have been better to just say he has noticed an increase in religious symbolism following a goal rather than postulating why it is only black players (from a sample of two) and if they have been brainwashed to do it by seeing someone else do it and are just copying 
  • edited April 2023
    Just for a LOL, I would like to see players do the YMCA hand Gestures when entering the field of play. 

I believe in Science, and I look at life and everyday issues from inside out and back to front and I say to Martin Vallis: it has increased over the last 20 odd years in the Premier League but is common place with players of all skin hues in world football for the last 4 decades to offer a prayer to the football 'God' to be on their side.

I may be a non believer but the devil is in the detail.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Perhaps OP would have been better to just say he has noticed an increase in religious symbolism following a goal rather than postulating why it is only black players (from a sample of two) and if they have been brainwashed to do it by seeing someone else do it and are just copying 
    Just for a LOL, I would like to see players do the YMCA hand Gestures when entering the field of play. 

I believe in Science, and I look at life and everyday issues from inside out and back to front and I say to Martin Vallis: it has increased over the last 20 odd years in the Premier League but is common place with players of all skin hues in world football for the last 4 decades to offer a prayer to the football 'God' to be on their side.

Let’s get this F*cking straight, I never implied it’s only black people or non whites, I simply said they are the only people I’ve seen do it.

Stop trying to imply that there’s some racist slant, to what I’m saying FFS!
  • I put the praying in the same pidgion hole as kissing the badge 

All a load of bollocks and mainly done for attention and cameras 

How do I even respond…

attention and cameras???

Hope this is a windup

Kissing the badge gets to me it's done to make it look like they love the club but show them a pound note & they will kiss the club goodbye 
  • Foxycafc said:
    Foxycafc said:
    Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:
    What I don’t get, is you really think players are thanking god because they are impressionable and seen other players pray after scoring ? 
    I don’t know why you may find that surprising?

The youth are impressionable, I was. They may want to emulate players who might be role models to them and take them as an example of how to behave, nothing unusual there.

Some younger players when interviewed often mention players they looked up too and styled themselves on and that may include, having faith.
    Are you serious? You think young players are devoting their lives to God because they grew up seeing someone on tele doing it?
    Oh my gawd, you are one, aren’t you!
    Whether I am or not has no relevance to me thinking you're a bit mental
    Well you wouldn’t be wrong there. I do have a multitude of diagnoses but that doesn’t prevent me from having a reasoning mind.

So, presumably in your teenage years you were the complete article and not influenced by anyone, you were a self made man?

And how ignorant are you in using that term?
    I don't understand how you could think that something so important can be decided by monkey see monkey do
    It is partly that without a doubt, but mostly full on brainwashing from birth. I am sure it's no co-incidence that almost all relegious folk follow the same path as their parents, is it?   
  • I was once told by a bloke called Father Cyril that trying to pray is the same as praying, and wanting to believe is the same as believing.
    I don’t know how much of that is true, but I wonder if Christians can explain how to turn the other cheek and forgive, because I can’t turn the other cheek when oppressed by Tories and racists, and will never forgive those who voted leave.
    Can those things be done without losing all sense of self respect?
  • Foxycafc said:
    I put the praying in the same pidgion hole as kissing the badge 

How do I even respond…

attention and cameras???

Hope this is a windup
    Not a windup 

Khan the boxer used to do it, instead of praying in private and the solitude of his dressing room before a fight he chose to do it in the middle of the ring in front of the crowd and on TV.

Look at me, look at me!

I know how to pray and what direction the east is

All for public consumption 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Perhaps OP would have been better to just say he has noticed an increase in religious symbolism following a goal rather than postulating why it is only black players (from a sample of two) and if they have been brainwashed to do it by seeing someone else do it and are just copying 

Let’s get this F*cking straight, I never implied it’s only black people or non whites, I simply said they are the only people I’ve seen do it.

Stop trying to imply that there’s some racist slant, to what I’m saying FFS!

Blimey O'Reilly, you are sensitive. 
    As you didn't watch the World Cup, I just wanted to point out my thoughts on the subject over many decades. 

A question for all CL members 

Q. What is that little hop and skip that some subs do when they come on.
    Is it religious or are they paying homage to Jonathan Edwards or even Usain Bolt ?
    I guess it may just be a superstition?
    Or they want to run on the field fast ?

• I will say this then bow out of what I see is becoming a very heated and potentially nasty thread..
    I am a confirmed Anglican, and therefor a believer, and do not take well to being called a "God Botherer", and it seems that a non believer looks upon a believer as being deluded, and obviously wrong, but we are all individuals and whether believer or not deserve respect.
    I will never castigate anyone for not believing, and would just say that God watches over us all in equal measures, so let's just leave it there shall we regarding any rights or wrongs please, and treat everyone as friends..
    I will say that any player giving thanks either when scoring a goal or coming onto the pitch is a personal thing and should be treated as such
    You’re a god botherer mate. 
  • I am superstitious about seeing Magpies.
    Don’t know why.
    They are lovely looking creatures mind.