Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Appearing to Pray After Scoring?

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    What I don’t get, is you really think players are thanking god because they are impressionable and seen other players pray after scoring ? 
    I don’t know why you may find that surprising?

The youth are impressionable, I was. They may want to emulate players who might be role models to them and take them as an example of how to behave, nothing unusual there.

Some younger players when interviewed often mention players they looked up too and styled themselves on and that may include, having faith.
  • And so is Nick Pope.

I think if he ever scored then he would go up to the gantry in that huge stand and wave to the crowd.
  • WSS said:
    Plenty of white players display their faith during matches whether coming out of the tunnel or after scoring.

Strange to bring skin colour into it.
    Well, if you read my post, I said I’ve never seen a white player do it.

It may be argued that non white players have more faith?

George Michael was white.
    And the relevance is?
    I think it was an attempt at humour...Faith was one of his songs but...🤷‍♂️
  • I find it interesting that those with faith do all the hand kissing, palm raising, spectacles, testicle, wallet and watch malarky when they score, or win. I never see them giving their imaginary friend in the sky the finger, or the vees when they fuck up?      
    God is unbeaten in all sports. 
  • WSS said:
    Plenty of white players display their faith during matches whether coming out of the tunnel or after scoring.

WSS said:

And the relevance is?
    Whooshee 😹
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMGWWpyFGFU

God has even appeared in a wrestling match, so I can understand it
  • WSS said:

WSS said:

And the relevance is?
    Whooshee 😹
    You little rascal you...🥱
  • When I was young and impressionable I looked in the Jimmy Seed away Stand and the fans were making Nescafé like hand gestures towards us Charlton fans and I thought that’s about right there’s quite a few coffee drinkers in here and have associated the signal with plenty of our fan base since .
    Bet you felt a right Gareth Hunt?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bet you’re wishing you never started this thread….
  • I reckon this is Roger Osbourne's daughter singing a song after musing on his superstitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9FaaU-MEE
  • se9addick said:
    Makes you wonder if there would be less shit going on in the world if god wasn’t having to deal with the prayers of blokes being paid a load of money to play football. Still, each to their own and on the subject of gestures I liked what looked to be a choreographed blm kneeling dance off between the two teams yesterday. More of that please with something along the lines of that troupe that did well on Britains got talent a few years back.
    I was a bit confused about what was happening pre-kick off yesterday, was it moments silence? Was it a new way of choreographing the taking the knee. 
    If you are serious, it was Stephen Lawrence day, 30 years since his death, his mother, Baroness Lawrence was presented with a Charlton shirt. If you know this and your comment was a joke, excuse my ignorance 🤔
  • MrOneLung said:
    What I don’t get, is you really think players are thanking god because they are impressionable and seen other players pray after scoring ? 

Yes absolutely! Countless examples of footballers acting like sheep. Tattoos for one thing…
  • CAFCTrev said:
    I find it interesting that those with faith do all the hand kissing, palm raising, spectacles, testicle, wallet and watch malarky when they score, or win. I never see them giving their imaginary friend in the sky the finger, or the vees when they fuck up?      
    God is unbeaten in all sports. 
    Clearly you don't remember Vince and Shane McMahon beating the team of Shawn Michaels and God in tag team action at Backlash 2006.
  • MrOneLung said:

The youth are impressionable, I was. They may want to emulate players who might be role models to them and take them as an example of how to behave, nothing unusual there.

Some younger players when interviewed often mention players they looked up too and styled themselves on and that may include, having faith.
    Are you serious? You think young players are devoting their lives to God because they grew up seeing someone on tele doing it?
  • edited April 2023
    Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Are you serious? You think young players are devoting their lives to God because they grew up seeing someone on tele doing it?
    Oh my gawd, you are one, aren’t you!

Did I say 📺?

We’re all influenced in some way by others knowingly or unknowingly and the roles others play in our lives.

Let me take a stab in the dark or a leap of faith, if you like! I would hazard a guess a great majority on here became Charlton supporters because of their fathers, family members and elder brothers etc, which links to being influenced by others at a young and impressionable age.

No one in their right mind would, one day on a whim wake and say I think I’ll support Charlton.

I support Charlton because my dad did and that therefore influenced my decision to support them to.

No doubt someone will now post something to the contrary.
  • Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Whether I am or not has no relevance to me thinking you're a bit mental
  • edited April 2023
    Foxycafc said:
    Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Well you wouldn’t be wrong there. I do have a multitude of diagnoses but that doesn’t prevent me from having a reasoning mind.

So, presumably in your teenage years you were the complete article and not influenced by anyone, you were a self made man?

And how ignorant are you in using that term?
  • Bet you’re wishing you never started this thread….
    You’re not wrong there, some mothers do have ‘em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Did I say 📺?

We’re all influenced in some way by others knowingly or unknowingly and the roles others play in our lives.

Let me take a stab in the dark or a leap of faith, if you like! I would hazard a guess a great majority on here became Charlton supporters because of their fathers, family members and elder brothers etc, which links to being influenced by others at a young and impressionable age.

No one in their right mind would, one day on a whim wake and say I think I’ll support Charlton.

I support Charlton because my dad did and that therefore influenced my decision to support them to.

At the risk of being woooshed...again..😉
    My first game had nothing to do with my dad, i went with some Charlton mates when they were playing Millwall, fortunately, or otherwise we won 1-0 and the rest as they say is history, so nothing to do with influence, just nothing better to do that day...
  • Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Did I say 📺?

My first game had nothing to do with my dad, i went with some Charlton mates when they were playing Millwall, fortunately, or otherwise we won 1-0 and the rest as they say is history, so nothing to do with influence, just nothing better to do that day...
    I didn’t only say dad, did I, it can include anyone who might have been instrumental in influencing you or anyone else.

Bloody ‘ell @valleygary I don’t think I’ll bother next time.
  • Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Did I say 📺?

I didn’t only say dad, did I, it can include anyone who might have been instrumental in influencing you or anyone else.

😂😂...Bet you wished you hadn't bothered this time as well..
  • Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Did I say 📺?

😂😂...Bet you wished you hadn't bothered this time as well..
    You’re not wrong there!

• Foxycafc said:
    Foxycafc said:
    MrOneLung said:

Well you wouldn’t be wrong there. I do have a multitude of diagnoses but that doesn’t prevent me from having a reasoning mind.

So, presumably in your teenage years you were the complete article and not influenced by anyone, you were a self made man?

And how ignorant are you in using that term?
    I don't understand how you could think that something so important can be decided by monkey see monkey do
  • edited April 2023
    I was raised a Catholic, it wasn’t my choice but my mothers, she being one of my primary care givers and made that decision on my behalf, me being too young to know any better.

So, I believed in God into my teens, when I became old enough to make my own decisions and I now no longer do and I no longer do because of my life experience which would have in some part been influenced by others, I have no problem with that.

As someone said earlier, that so many follow like sheep, tattoos, wearing baseball caps backwards etc, there’s a need for some to belong to a tribe.

I seem to remember you saying you’re quite young, you’ll understand when you get a bit older.
  • I was raised a Catholic, it wasn’t my choice but my mothers, she being one of my primary care givers and made that decision on my behalf, me being too young to know any better.

So, I believed in God into my teens, when I became old enough to make my own decisions and I now no longer do and I no longer do because of my life experience which would have in some part been influenced by others, I have no problem with that.

As someone said earlier, that so many follow like sheep, tattoos, wearing baseball caps backwards etc, there’s a need for some to belong to a tribe.

I seem to remember you saying you’re quite young, you’ll understand when you get a bit older.
    I was raised Christian, then fell away but have come back recently due to "my life experience"; what's your expert opinion on that?
  • Yesterday why did all the Shrews players take the knee whilst we remained standing. We usually take the knee.