Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Has Holden ruled out staying on next season?

I know his family live along way away in Salford but it would be interesting to know if he would relocate / stay if that becomes an option.

Definitely think he likes the club & is enjoying the challenge to turn things around (plus surely new owners would look to keep him if he brings the results).
    He was assistant and manager at Bristol City for over 4 years, so it's not as if he's completely tied to the NW.

I know his family live along way away in Salford but it would be interesting to know if he would relocate / stay if that becomes an option.

Definitely think he likes the club & is enjoying the challenge to turn things around (plus surely new owners would look to keep him if he brings the results).
    Given that Athletic interview with him and how depressed he seemed when he wasn't working, i think he'd love to be here next season.
  • Cov supporting mate has this to say about Kane

’ Marmite mate. Some fans  liked him, others didn’t. Rumours he’s a bit of a bad egg and caused some issues amongst the other players. Robins tried to bin him off earlier but we had so many injuries. He tenacious though and gets stuck in.
  • Are Bonne or Kane proven left-footed left backs?

If not, we are still pissing in the wind.
  • lolwray said:
    Free or not ..these two are decent 
    Lets wait and see, if I had a pound for every comment on here from people quoting this and that player saying they are "too good for this league", "my xxxxxx supporting mate says he is a great buy", "the geezer will take the piss in this league" etc etc I would be a rich man. 
    Agree with this.  The transfer policy has been a disaster over the last few years.  I’m very much in the wait and see camp.  

I’ll take Bonne as I think he did well for us and don’t get the criticism.  Kane seems like he’s up for the fight, so that’s encouraging.  The best thing about these deals is they are both short term.  The last two Jan windows have shown up TS’ incompetence in running the club with Mansfield, Schwartz, Aneke and Fraser signing.  

Now I know Fraser has returned to form recently, but you can’t say at the 6/7k a week wages, we’ve had value for money.  We may do, if he carries on, but we haven’t yet.  As for the other 3.  Oh dear 
  • Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Pretty clear, and obvious I guess from the timing, that these are not players Holden has chosen to be on his list. So whether they are going to fit into his style of play will be a lottery.
    Why is it pretty clear and obvious?
    Well, because he has not been here long enough to work out for himself who should stay or go, nor has he been here long enough to identify the right players from outside that he would need to replace those who do go, nor has he said these are players he has wanted playing for him, nor are they players he knows from other clubs.
    Its a list put together before he got here.
    He seems just to be having a phone chat to introduce himself for form's sake and then the deals are done.
    Pot luck.
    Well then our options are a using pre-prepared list or signing no-one. I'm not really sure what the criticism is. Looks like Egbo could be out for the season or enough of it that we need another RB. If you say Holden hasn't been here long enough to identify potential targets then it's a good thing we have a recruitment team or we'd have nothing. I think you might also find that while managers are often invited to suggest players they think would fit, I don't think there's any managers at all who exclusively identify the players they want. It won't have taken Holden long to agree that one RB, one LB and a lack of goalscorers needs rectifying. He'll have been suggested players from a list and he'll have agreed to them. That's the way it is in modern football. Doesn't have to be a problem
  • Sponsored links:

All depends on the new owners if they want him ??
  • edited January 2023
    We had to sign 2 players by Friday, otherwise i would  genuinely been concerned, about what on earth was going on.

The question now is , will there be any more incoming / outgoing through the window?

• For those guessing that Stockley might not be on his way to Gills due to them signing other forwards, it wouldn't surprise if his medical didn't go brilliantly? 

Seeing as he can hardly sprint or spring into the air. A rigorous medical will not be easy for him.

All depends on the new owners if they want him ??
    If you believe some of the rumours, Holden was appointed by Methven to steady the ship while the buy out was in progress. I doubt at this point “the new owners” whoever that might be have any idea who they might want and unlike Sandgaard might well follow the advice given by their football advisors. If the DD and exclusivity period are successful then I also suspect that Dean Holden has the job to lose. 
  • edited January 2023

Macclesfield loan out Tom Clare to Love Island, done deal. 
    Maybe we could loan out Aneke to 24 hours in A&E
    Only 24 ? More like a re occurring extra on casualty!
  • edited January 2023
    We had to sign 2 players by Friday, otherwise i would  genuinely been concerned, about what on earth was going on.

The question now is , will there be any more incoming / outgoing through the window?

How many other clubs have signed 2 by now in the window? 
    January should be a patch up job anyway. Real business in the summer 
  • all the "Stockley's shit, we need rid, give him to the Gills.." need to take a breath, Gills have signed some other "striker". If Stockers is off unlikely it's to Priestfield
    That and we're still way short of anything like enough strikers - Miles & Macca gonna need backup, Kanu's not quite ready and A&Eke's finished
  • Sponsored links:

• Billy_Mix said:
    all the "Stockley's shit, we need rid, give him to the Gills.." need to take a breath, Gills have signed some other "striker". If Stockers is off unlikely it's to Priestfield
    That and we're still way short of anything like enough strikers - Miles & Macca gonna need backup, Kanu's not quite ready and A&Eke's finished
    All those posters have been moaning about the lack of options up front, get rid of Stockley and Leaburn or Bonne get injured or suspended then you could end up with one forward, waiting for someone to say 'what about Chuks' which was exactly the Sandgaards position when they got rid of Washington. 
  • Xavier Simons Chelsea defensive midfielder has been recalled from Hull, apparently us and a few other clubs are interested in taking him on loan.
  • Xavier Simons Chelsea defensive midfielder has been recalled from Hull, apparently us and a few other clubs are interested in taking him on loan.
    Would be an odd one with McGrandles pretty much back from injury and Dobson being our best player. I guess given Fraser is being offered more freedom in an advanced role he might replace Albie to provide more stability in the midfield alongside Dobson. We've only got 3 players on loan so could still get both him and Edun.
  • redman said:

How many other clubs have signed 2 by now in the window? 
    January should be a patch up job anyway. Real business in the summer 
    That’s why contracts are only till
    end of season chance for us to have a decent look at them 

• supaclive said:
    We have won our last two against very poor teams. Anybody thinking top 6 needs their head examined!
    We're just reverting to the mean.
    Bonne and Kane will help strengthen a woefully inadequate squad for a team with play off aspirations.
    That is all.
    Don’t think Pompey away can be classed as easy given our form going into it … top 6 is still on until it’s mathematically impossible 
  • NabySarr said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Are Bonne or Kane proven left-footed left backs?

If not, we are still pissing in the wind.
    Sessegnon has been one of our best players!

He has. But our problem is any game he doesn’t start (Oxford the most recent example) or when he has to be subbed (most games), we have no one anywhere near good enough to play there
    Clare to RB and switch Kane to LB as he has played there?
  • edited January 2023
    https://the72.co.uk/2023/01/13/charlton-athletic-leyton-orient-eyeing-swoop-as-chelsea-prepare-double-hull-city-loan-recall/

Xavier Simons

Played eight minutes in the Championship this season… in a position we don’t really need… can’t see it personally.