Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Swansea have recalled Morgan Whittaker from Plymouth.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/whittaker-recalled
    It'll be interesting what happens with Rak-Sakyi. A division above Everton have recalled Ellis Simms from Sunderland who had been playing well for them in recent weeks
  • Swansea have recalled Morgan Whittaker from Plymouth.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/whittaker-recalled
    It'll be interesting what happens with Rak-Sakyi. A division above Everton have recalled Ellis Simms from Sunderland who had been playing well for them in recent weeks
    Dont blame Everton for the recall, not after their score line tonight.

Guess Swansea want Whittaker back to try and push for the Play-Offs
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/top-scorers

Looking at the L2 top scorers, a few familiar names showing that players may take time to come good, or need to drop down and find their level

Paul Smyth 9 goals
    Josh Davison 8 goals (plus 4 assists)
    Josh Umerah 8 goals - in a poor Hartlepool team too
    Omar Bogle 7 goals
    Jonny Williams 6 goals
  • Recalls seem to be becoming more and more common. Used to be a real rarity but it seems teams are farming out a player for 6 months, bringing them back to have a look at them and then either keeping them around or sending them out somewhere else for another fee. Not great if you've planned your season around having a certain player, or they're in great form, or you're definitely getting relegated without Conor Gallagher. Really limits the effectiveness of loans for EFL teams. Wonder how long this nonsense will last.
    Didn't we recall Barker half way through one loan just to loan him straight out somewhere else?  That sort of nonsense? 
  • PWADDICK said:

Anyone know any tall black players?
    Curbs 2000/1

Also can't rule out Sol Campbell
  • Scoham said:
    sam3110 said:
    PWADDICK said:

Anyone know any tall black players?
    Wrong end of the stick, they're a Sheffield Wednesday fan and claiming a current Charlton player is signing for them in January. A tall black player. 

I don't think Leaburn would be off to Sheffield Wednesday, he should be aiming higher than that.

Aneke is always broken, no-one else will sign him from us for money.

No-one chasing promotion from League 1 is signing DJ from us, and he's not tall either, nor is CBT. 

Clare isn't going to be in high demand, so it won't be him.

I can't see Wollacott leaving so soon, and he's injured right now anyway

Elewere won't be on many radars now having played so little this season

So my conclusion is that the above tweet is Horseshit
    From their profile they're definitely a Charlton fan, I assume it should have been 'ex Charlton'.

It has to be Joe Gomez.
  • mart77 said:
    Tyrese Owen ? 
    Was linked last week on FLW
    And what a trashy site that is, rehashing everyone else’s stories. I’ve never found anything original coming from them.

Joke journalists!
  • Anyone know anything about James Furlong the young Irish left back from Brighton?

Looking at the L2 top scorers, a few familiar names showing that players may take time to come good, or need to drop down and find their level

Paul Smyth 9 goals
    Omar Bogle 7 goals
    Jonny Williams 6 goals
    Or just that we have had a habit of signing L2 players in recent years
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
    I think it’s unlikely there’s a queue of clubs looking to bring in Clare to play central midfield.

Bringing a left back in could free up Sess to play right back and in turn Clare to play in midfield.

Holden may also give Henry a run or bring in a CM. It’ll be interesting to see if Holden continues to use Clare as a right back or uses him in any other positions.

The most crucial signing is surely a left back. In an ideal world we'd also sign a left footed CB who can also cover at left back.
    Long term I'd like to try Egbo in midfield rather than the more languid Clare. Sessegnon at right back. Assuming Egbo recovers from his injury ok. 
    In the meantime another CM would be ideal, if they are better (or more consistent) than Morgan. Payne is a decent option off the bench.

AMB/Wollacott
    Sess Inniss Ness [New LB]
    Egbo/New - Dobson - Fraser
    JRS - Leaburn - CBT

That's a reasonable starting eleven I think, but would need backup for Leaburn. If we can lose Kirk and Jaiyesimi then at least one more pacey winger/striker would be good.
    Egbo would bring the dynamism to midfield that has been lacking most of the season. He's also good defensively. I like Clare, but he's a bit languid. He does have the pace to get forward on the break though.
    Lavelle & Thomas are possibly decent backups, but you might need better if you're serious about promotion next year.
    A front three of JRS, Leaburn and CBT will not get us out of league one.

No but they performed well as a unit to at last help as win a game.
    Have a look at the league table.
    Cafc just need some stability and start winning more games than we lose. 
    We have no chance of being top six unless we can keep players fit and get better players in than leave this window.
    When was the last time that happened ?

Too much bullshit from Thomas Sandgaard has affected our supporters. If we play well we are mid table. 6 wins out of 24 is the reality and we can't beat teams in the bottom 12.

Who on earth can you get in a January window who is match fit and can hit the ground running ? 

• Sounds like things are really hotting up.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
    I think it’s unlikely there’s a queue of clubs looking to bring in Clare to play central midfield.

Bringing a left back in could free up Sess to play right back and in turn Clare to play in midfield.

Holden may also give Henry a run or bring in a CM. It’ll be interesting to see if Holden continues to use Clare as a right back or uses him in any other positions.

The most crucial signing is surely a left back. In an ideal world we'd also sign a left footed CB who can also cover at left back.
    Long term I'd like to try Egbo in midfield rather than the more languid Clare. Sessegnon at right back. Assuming Egbo recovers from his injury ok. 
    In the meantime another CM would be ideal, if they are better (or more consistent) than Morgan. Payne is a decent option off the bench.

AMB/Wollacott
    Sess Inniss Ness [New LB]
    Egbo/New - Dobson - Fraser
    JRS - Leaburn - CBT

That's a reasonable starting eleven I think, but would need backup for Leaburn. If we can lose Kirk and Jaiyesimi then at least one more pacey winger/striker would be good.
    Egbo would bring the dynamism to midfield that has been lacking most of the season. He's also good defensively. I like Clare, but he's a bit languid. He does have the pace to get forward on the break though.
    Lavelle & Thomas are possibly decent backups, but you might need better if you're serious about promotion next year.
    A front three of JRS, Leaburn and CBT will not get us out of league one.

No but they performed well as a unit to at last help as win a game.
    Have a look at the league table.
    Cafc just need some stability and start winning more games than we lose. 
    We have no chance of being top six unless we can keep players fit and get better players in than leave this window.
    When was the last time that happened ?

Too much bullshit from Thomas Sandgaard has affected our supporters. If we play well we are mid table. 6 wins out of 24 is the reality and we can't beat teams in the bottom 12.

Who on earth can you get in a January window who is match fit and can hit the ground running ? 

That’s just one hand in how many .. Raki and CBT have been pretty awful in the last few months .. they have so much talent and are match winners but sadly we don’t see it enough 

Paul Smyth 9 goals
    Omar Bogle 7 goals
    Jonny Williams 6 goals
    Just shows the lack of quality attacking players at that level they would not be able to step up 
  • Connor Wickham has left Forest Green at the end of a 6 month deal, scored 9 in 20.

Presumably he's got something else lined up or I guess he'd have stayed.

Paul Smyth 9 goals
    Omar Bogle 7 goals
    Jonny Williams 6 goals
    Just shows the lack of quality attacking players at that level they would not be able to step up 
    I have watched Orient this season and Paul Smyth looked excellent - a real handful. Orient's style of play really suits him. They have a few other decent players too. Assuming they get promoted I think they will do fine in League 1 next season. The same applies to Stevenage. 
  • Richard J said:
    Anyone know anything about James Furlong the young Irish left back from Brighton?
    I’ve heard he enjoys a Chicken Tikka Marsala on Saturday evenings with his girlfriend after a tough match.
  • Sponsored links:

• And we're only signing one player, Mr Versatility.
  • Richard J said:
    Anyone know anything about James Furlong the young Irish left back from Brighton?
    Miles Leaburn is worth 8 times more than James Furlong...
    Hands down he is.
  • Richard J said:
    Miles Leaburn is worth 8 times more than James Furlong...
    Hands down he is.
    Better by a distance 
  • "Exeter secured promotion back to League One that season, with Nombe scoring 8 goals despite being injured for a large part of the season." Would fit in perfectly!
  • Weren’t the cafe thing confirmed to be a wind up?