Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• It is gloomy when it’s the worst team I’ve ever seen I’m sorry I don’t like watching players like mcgrandles. I’m Looking forward to seeing the new £400000 ex  millwall 31 year old.really excited about that.wake up people. Day 2 of transfer window and they already done what they said they wouldn’t. 
    Blimey buddy, I agree it’s pretty terrible being a Charlton fan at the moment, but let’s at least give them a chance. To be fair, no one has even gone according to the website.
  • It is gloomy when it’s the worst team I’ve ever seen I’m sorry I don’t like watching players like mcgrandles. I’m Looking forward to seeing the new £400000 ex  millwall 31 year old.really excited about that.wake up people. Day 2 of transfer window and they already done what they said they wouldn’t. 
    All we’ve done so far is release one (soon two) players surplus to requirements.  Just as they said they would.

cheer up grumblebum
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Kirk and DJ are both names always disappointing to see on the team sheet . Any interest, let them go. Both have had their chances and overall failed miserably.
    Agreed 100% - getting rid of them will be a clear sign there is proper money involved coz i doubt we will get bugger all for them despite having paid good money for them - someone wiling to write that off would suggest someone who isn't mucking about hanging onto players who we all know aren't going to come good 
    if albie and lavelle follow jfc and macgilvary out the door that will also be a good sign - harsh but true 
    No

We do need a squad, and Morgan isn't a fringe player. He played yesterday and would have played over Christmas if he wasn't ill.
  • edited January 2023
    Shit...another 28 days of this soddin' window to go and already people (some) are getting their Y fronts in a twist,, relax or you will be away with the fairies by the end of the week ffs....chill and have another🍺🍺🍺🍺
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Kirk and DJ are both names always disappointing to see on the team sheet . Any interest, let them go. Both have had their chances and overall failed miserably.
    Agreed 100% - getting rid of them will be a clear sign there is proper money involved coz i doubt we will get bugger all for them despite having paid good money for them - someone wiling to write that off would suggest someone who isn't mucking about hanging onto players who we all know aren't going to come good 
    if albie and lavelle follow jfc and macgilvary out the door that will also be a good sign - harsh but true 
    No

We do need a squad, and Morgan isn't a fringe player. He played yesterday and would have played over Christmas if he wasn't ill.
    The only other player I would be happy going out before a replacement comes in is Lavelle, assuming O'Connell isn't a million miles away.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Clayden left permanently, seeing that we loaned him out despite having no cover at LB/LWB, especially as he's overaged.

Henry could do with a contract extension and loan move.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Clayden left permanently, seeing that we loaned him out despite having no cover at LB/LWB, especially as he's overaged.
    He's only played two 90min games for Bromley as well, hasnt really impressed there either.

Could probably let him stay out on loan for the season, and deregister his squad spot
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd definitely loan Albie out to League 2 if we can. However that means finding a player in the squad that's better than he is in the same position.

McGrandles and Henry aren't that guy yet.

Henry could do with a contract extension and loan move.
    worth remembering he isn't a left back or LWB. He's a left winger. Would prefer him in the squad to Kirk as he at least tries.
  • esseffect said:
    Brainless to get rid of Albie. Does his bit when required and likely isn’t upsetting squad asking to start. It’s unlikely he costs much either to have around…
    But can we get better? Will it improve him to go out on loan and play more consistently?

I suspect both answers are"probably"
  • Just thought I'd check in to see what's happening. So, it's day 2 of 31, no players have been confirmed leaving or joining.......... and some people on here are frantically running around, screaming "THE SKY IS FALLING. WE'RE DOOMED".

Have I missed anything out? 
  • edited January 2023
    Just thought I'd check in to see what's happening. So, it's day 2 of 31, no players have been confirmed leaving or joining.......... and some people on here are frantically running around, screaming "THE SKY IS FALLING. WE'RE DOOMED".

Have I missed anything out? 
    It's a CL transfer thread init?

Do bears shit in the woods?
    Is the Pope Catholic?

Er...  Cannot think of anymore off the top of my head.

Transfer windows are torture on here.  You try and leave alone but they are like catnip.
  • Back to transfers and interesting how Cole Stockton has fallen away so badly this year.
    One many wanted in the summer. 
    23 games this season for Morecombe. 1 goal, 1 assist.  
  • DOUCHER said:
    Could also be a sign that TS is tightening the finances even further - if he went to Holden and asked which higher paid players were not being used and could be got rid off I'm pretty sure Kirk, DJ and MacG would be pretty near the top of the list.
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    No

I suspect every new manager sees Albie in training and is initially impressed - and thinks they will have a good player on their hands if they can improve his consistency and cut out the rubbish. Unfortunately only the fans have been here long enough to know that is not possible.
    To paraphrase what Shane Warne said about Monty Panasar he hasn't played 130 times he has played for the 1st time 130 times.
  • Valley11 said:
    Back to transfers and interesting how Cole Stockton has fallen away so badly this year.
    I am gonna put that down to human emotions, you can watch his goal highlights last season and he could have had his own goals of the season contest, he also looked brilliant against us. 

I’d say he’s probably got a bit demoralised by not getting his move and it’s become quite uncomfortable for him around the club/players due to pushing for it. 

I reckon if he had joined a promotion hopeful like Plymouth, Wednesday etc he would have a fair few goals. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
  • edited January 2023
    Valley11 said:
    Back to transfers and interesting how Cole Stockton has fallen away so badly this year.
    I am gonna put that down to human emotions, you can watch his goal highlights last season and he could have had his own goals of the season contest, he also looked brilliant against us. 

I’d say he’s probably got a bit demoralised by not getting his move and it’s become quite uncomfortable for him around the club/players due to pushing for it. 

I reckon if he had joined a promotion hopeful like Plymouth, Wednesday etc he would have a fair few goals. 
    Or he has just reverted back to the mean of 90% of his career?

I’ve followed this quiet closely because I could never quite wrap my head around CharltonLife’s fascination with him - in which I know I was in the minority in my thoughts and have always wondered why. 

He clearly had a very productive season last year in which he played well against us - and that is where many lifers will form their opinion - but I personally didn’t really see anything from him that was above and beyond how many other strikers had played - after all how many strikers dominated Gunter and our defence as a whole?

I always thought at his age, alongside his previous body of work, that it presented to much of a risk that he was just having a ‘hot’ season - especially with the money Morcambe were asking for - to consider going for him.

It remains that apart from a tenuous link with Preston North End in September he was only ever really linked with Shrewsbury, Fleetwood, and Port Vale - and it now appears at the moment that only Motherwell and Forest Green are pursuing him - so clearly many other ‘top’ teams felt the same and felt there money was best spent elsewhere.

Be interesting to see how it develops over this window. 
  • edited January 2023
    Replace cole Stockton with Jayden Stockley and Morecambe with Charlton and it's pretty much the same story. 

I mean, in the story of great now not so great. Not a rumour at all. This isn't the place for that. 
  • I can see Holden getting Wright-Phillips from Stoke in on loan if any of our wingers leave or are recalled 
  • DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
    I think it’s unlikely there’s a queue of clubs looking to bring in Clare to play central midfield.

Bringing a left back in could free up Sess to play right back and in turn Clare to play in midfield.

Holden may also give Henry a run or bring in a CM. It’ll be interesting to see if Holden continues to use Clare as a right back or uses him in any other positions.
  • I can see Holden getting Wright-Phillips from Stoke in on loan if any of our wingers leave or are recalled 

• I can feel the Wright-Phillips songs coming on already
  • esseffect said:
    Brainless to get rid of Albie. Does his bit when required and likely isn’t upsetting squad asking to start. It’s unlikely he costs much either to have around…

esseffect said:
    If the takeover is about treading water I’d agree but we need better than Albie Morgan if we are to progress - for a player lauded for his ability on the ball, he nearly always has to apologise after he’s played a pass