Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer Window - Jan 2023 (Deadline Day starts page 112)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    esseffect said:
    Brainless to get rid of Albie. Does his bit when required and likely isn’t upsetting squad asking to start. It’s unlikely he costs much either to have around…
    But can we get better? Will it improve him to go out on loan and play more consistently?

I suspect both answers are"probably"
    If Morgan goes out on loan because we have got better, I doubt he will come back.

At the moment we need to keep Morgan and get better.  
    I meant on loan, but I agree if it's permanent why would he return to be back up again 
  • edited January 2023
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
    I think it’s unlikely there’s a queue of clubs looking to bring in Clare to play central midfield.

Bringing a left back in could free up Sess to play right back and in turn Clare to play in midfield.

Holden may also give Henry a run or bring in a CM. It’ll be interesting to see if Holden continues to use Clare as a right back or uses him in any other positions.

The most crucial signing is surely a left back. In an ideal world we'd also sign a left footed CB who can also cover at left back.
    Long term I'd like to try Egbo in midfield rather than the more languid Clare. Sessegnon at right back. Assuming Egbo recovers from his injury ok. 
    In the meantime another CM would be ideal, if they are better (or more consistent) than Morgan. Payne is a decent option off the bench.

AMB/Wollacott
    Sess Inniss Ness [New LB]
    Egbo/New - Dobson - Fraser
    JRS - Leaburn - CBT

That's a reasonable starting eleven I think, but would need backup for Leaburn. If we can lose Kirk and Jaiyesimi then at least one more pacey winger/striker would be good.
    Egbo would bring the dynamism to midfield that has been lacking most of the season. He's also good defensively. I like Clare, but he's a bit languid. He does have the pace to get forward on the break though.
    Lavelle & Thomas are possibly decent backups, but you might need better if you're serious about promotion next year.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    A striker who can play the one up top role for when Leaburn not available and a left back should be our first priorities - i would then have a go at switching Clare into midfield to play with dobbo and fraser - dobbo is the screen, fraser the 10 and i think we need an engine, a box to box athlete to compliment that - could that suit Clare?  
    Sorry a bit behind the thread but have always thought this about Clare. We are missing a high-energy aggressive offensive midfielder who would liberate Fraser more to do his creative stuff. The ideal candidate is playing at right back.

Unfortunately, I suspect  Clare has the hump and wants out in January anyway. 
    I think it’s unlikely there’s a queue of clubs looking to bring in Clare to play central midfield.

Bringing a left back in could free up Sess to play right back and in turn Clare to play in midfield.

Holden may also give Henry a run or bring in a CM. It’ll be interesting to see if Holden continues to use Clare as a right back or uses him in any other positions.

The most crucial signing is surely a left back. In an ideal world we'd also sign a left footed CB who can also cover at left back.
    Long term I'd like to try Egbo in midfield rather than the more languid Clare. Sessegnon at right back. Assuming Egbo recovers from his injury ok. 
    In the meantime another CM would be ideal, if they are better (or more consistent) than Morgan. Payne is a decent option off the bench.

AMB/Wollacott
    Sess Inniss Ness [New LB]
    Egbo/New - Dobson - Fraser
    JRS - Leaburn - CBT

That's a reasonable starting eleven I think, but would need backup for Leaburn. If we can lose Kirk and Jaiyesimi then at least one more pacey winger/striker would be good.
    Egbo would bring the dynamism to midfield that has been lacking most of the season. He's also good defensively. I like Clare, but he's a bit languid. He does have the pace to get forward on the break though.
    Lavelle & Thomas are possibly decent backups, but you might need better if you're serious about promotion next year.
    A front three of JRS, Leaburn and CBT will not get us out of league one.
  • half the trouble with our squad is that every new manager we get wants to play a totally different system to the previous one

433, we need loads of wide players / 1 central striker
    352, we don't need any wide players, 2 strikers

leading to a total squad reset every window

...rinse and repeat
    A well balanced assembled squad should be capable of playing any system, especially when changing formation during a game to adapt to the opposition.
  • I can feel the Wright-Phillips songs coming on already
    Only if he brings his uncle Bradley
     back with him 
  • Our transfer business has been so poor since the days of Chris Powells promotion team. In the 10 years since, I can only think of 6 or 7 players who if we could turn the click back would sign again. Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher, Taylor, Bauer, Pearce,  Dobbo, maybe some others I have missed but it would be interesting to know how many players we have signed in that 10 year period as there have been loads of poor ones.
  • half the trouble with our squad is that every new manager we get wants to play a totally different system to the previous one

433, we need loads of wide players / 1 central striker
    352, we don't need any wide players, 2 strikers

leading to a total squad reset every window

...rinse and repeat
    A well balanced assembled squad should be capable of playing any system, especially when changing formation during a game to adapt to the opposition.
    you'd like to think so....
  • cakey said:
    Our transfer business has been so poor since the days of Chris Powells promotion team. In the 10 years since, I can only think of 6 or 7 players who if we could turn the click back would sign again. Cullen, Bielik, Gallagher, Taylor, Bauer, Pearce,  Dobbo, maybe some others I have missed but it would be interesting to know how many players we have signed in that 10 year period as there have been loads of poor ones.
    I'd add Ricky Holmes to that list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Garang Kuol - is one we should go for. 
  • Never heard that before. 

We need half a squad and I would expect us to get most deals done early. We never manage to do this. 
  • Matthew Bondswell on loan from Newcastle would be a start. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I always feel Clare plays like he's in a sports hall playing futsal.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Never heard that before. 

We need half a squad and I would expect us to get most deals done early. We never manage to do this. 
    If you are expecting us to sign half a squad you are going to be sorely disappointed. Even half a team is a bit of a stretch in January.
  • Have a feeling it will be a very strong window for us. We have no idea where the money is coming from though which is concerning 
  • Matthew Bondswell on loan from Newcastle would be a start. 
    Hope not!
  • With our luck we're probably under a transfer embargo for improper injection of funds
  • Have a feeling it will be a very strong window for us. We have no idea where the money is coming from though which is concerning 
    if we have a strong window, sign loads of players and ship the deadwood - I couldn't care anymore who's financing it ;)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I fully expect a LB/LWB and a striker in before the weekend. 

Are these "new" targets do you or anyone else know?