Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• edited December 2022
    How are we earning £1m from one game?
    45% gate receipts from a 75k crowd plus (potentially) live sky tv money.

Even if we're not on tv then we should be getting at least 600-700k.
  • How are we earning £1m from one game?

Man U had 62K against Burnley.  Hope you are right of a sell out capacity but not guaranteed. 
  • was the Man Utd game crowd restricted cos of ambulance people on strike im sure someone wrote on here 

they had 72.5k against villa in the third round so that’s more a marker

and this is a cup 1/4 final guaranteed win , so they’ll sell out , just a question of have we got enough glory boys to sell out our allocation

Don’t think it will be a sell
    out by a long shot .. they have Man City 3  days after so expect a young/ reserve side from United 

Don’t think it will be a sell
    out by a long shot .. they have Man City 3  days after so expect a young/ reserve side from United 

A shame Ronaldo has gone, as he might have got a game!
  • I am absolutely bemused by some of the hate this bloke is already getting.

How do people go through life with so much unjustified anger towards others?
    I think there would have been a lot of cynicism around anyone that Sandgaard appointed.  I think that's quite understandable. 

If he is a Sangaard appointment isn't 100% clear either way, although I would suspect he isnt.

I am not suprised he hasnt had a heros welcome, everyone is too burnt out for that.  I think the personal insults are a bit unjustified but it's the same with everyone, players, coaches etc etc it all gets to personal sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• My main takeaway from his interview quotes so far is he's going to get stuck into the players.

Quite frankly with the application levels and ability to chuck their managers and teammates under the bus for the last few seasons I've seen from this lot, that is absolutely overdue. I don't want him to take it to Bowyer levels but some of our players need a reality check.

What he's like as a tactician and how he is going to cope with our current state of chaos I have absolutely no idea but if he's going to work on player attitude and workrate in his approach then he's got the right initial idea.
    I agree.
    Unfortunately, last time Bowyer got "stuck into the players", he made one of them cry and many on CL were outraged and wanted him sacked, (then still can't understand why we beat Millwall once in a blue moon and get brushed aside by most).
    There is absolutely an argument that some players need more discipline and a more hard line approach WITHOUT going full Bowyer. Its about balance.
  • I’ve always liked Lego hair, I meant it as a compliment…
  • BigDiddy said:
    Holden will need a lot of new players.

Last night was great, but let’s see what happens over the next month.

Despite last night, we are still not good enough in this league.

Aren't we restricted by a squad limit and a wages to turnover ratio though?

Earning a million from a trip to Old Trafford will certainly help this seasons turnover but it's not as if we can go out and buy 10 new players is it?

We will obviously sign some players so then i assume we'd also then have to loan out or release contracted players as we're quite close already to the squad limit, unless we sign a bunch of players who are U21.

I’m not saying he will get what he wants.

In any event, what’s the point of hiring a whole new leadership team, including Scott, of we are unable, or cannot afford to make some serious changes to this squad?

• I am absolutely bemused by some of the hate this bloke is already getting.

It’s not hatred. Charlton fans are worn out by years of chaos around the club, so its clear that some cynicism exists 

• Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:
    I am absolutely bemused by some of the hate this bloke is already getting.

It’s not hatred. Charlton fans are worn out by years of chaos around the club, so its clear that some cynicism exists 

Not buying that shit. 

Cynicism is valid for ownership, but it's not fair on the manager. He's been appointed and still has the same shit players to work with, he is however showing signs of a different way to play and we should give him his opportunity to show what he can do with this shit hand before writing him off.
    I give you Karel Fraeye.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:

Not buying that shit. 

Cynicism is valid for ownership, but it's not fair on the manager. He's been appointed and still has the same shit players to work with, he is however showing signs of a different way to play and we should give him his opportunity to show what he can do with this shit hand before writing him off.
    Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:

Not buying that shit. 

Let’s agree to differ. 

If TS appointed a complete idiot, would you support that manager regardless?

Club is on a downward spiral, so the choice of manager is as important as the choice of players.

If we accept shit, that is what we will get, as has been proved over the last 2 owners and most of the recent managers [I shall exclude Boywer, Powell and JJ, who at least had the club at heart]

I’m not saying that Holden is to blame for anything, but I can say that I don’t think he is good enough based on his record.

Cynicism at the ownership will spill over into who they appoint as manager and I hope in a few months time I will be proven wrong, but sadly, I doubt Holden will halt our decline. 

• BigDiddy said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:

Not buying that shit. 

Dazzler21 said:
    BigDiddy said:

Not buying that shit. 

Let’s agree to differ. 

If TS appointed a complete idiot, would you support that manager regardless?

Club is on a downward spiral, so the choice of manager is as important as the choice of players.

If we accept shit, that is what we will get, as has been proved over the last 2 owners and most of the recent managers [I shall exclude Boywer, Powell and JJ, who at least had the club at heart]

I’m not saying that Holden is to blame for anything, but I can say that I don’t think he is good enough based on his record.

Cynicism at the ownership will spill over into who they appoint as manager and I hope in a few months time I will be proven wrong, but sadly, I doubt Holden will halt our decline. 

Not sure Powell, Bowyer and JJs records were that good when appointed as manager but it didn't work out too bad.
  • Four games in: two wins, a draw and an away loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2023
    I didn't know too much about him, but he seems to have turned things around as the players are responding to him.  Fair play to the guy.  Appears to have something about him
  • edited January 2023
    He got the team wrong at the start but having now worked out that 433 is our best formation with Jes, Corey & Leaburn up front, we look a lot better.
  • I've been impressed with his in game management in the last 2 games
  • He's basically playing Garner's formation.

Good of him to recognise it is the best way to shape this squad after that 3-5-2 travesty. 
  • It’s easy to be upbeat and positive after a win but I warm to him much more than I did Garner. Probably because of the Palace connection I guess but he seems to have more about him.