Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Is it just me that finds it quite insulting towards Andy Scott that we've only given him a 6 week deal?

Fair play to him for accepting as if i had his level of experience and a bottom half league one club offered me 6 weeks i'd have told them to piss off.

I'd be interested to see under what terms it can/might be extended. Given he's only here for the January transfer window, he can surely only be as successful as the budget allows him to be.

I see it as an appointment by the potential new owners. It doesn’t make sense as a TS appointment, and the takeover hasn’t gone through yet, but without investment in January we could be headed for L2.
    Must be an appointment by the new owners IMO and they have funded probably all four appointments and three of them will be gone if the deal does not go through.
  • Options
    I'm probably in the minority, but i wouldn't have minded Hayes staying on a bit longer.

1st half against Bristol Rovers was one of our best performances of the season & just got a victory against premier league opposition. 

Maybe just me,but i felt like he was on to something 
    I felt it was clicking but I am happy he is staying on with Holden coming in. 

Marshall however..not so sure...personally would have bumped Hayes up to assistant with Pearce as a coach. All until the end of the season and if it didnt work out, Hayes and Pearce can revert back to there original roles.  
  • Options
    I'm probably in the minority, but i wouldn't have minded Hayes staying on a bit longer.

1st half against Bristol Rovers was one of our best performances of the season & just got a victory against premier league opposition. 

Maybe just me,but i felt like he was on to something 
    It doesn't sound like he wanted it this early in his career. So it would have just turned sour.
  • Options
    Like most new managers to our club they all say the same old stuff but if they haven't got the tools to do the job then they're fecked.

I thought Garner came across very well but was badly let down in the market and now Holden has a similar worry I'm sure.

Certainly playing Peterborough next will not be easy but Cup or no cup we simply cannot afford to get relegated under any circumstances. As an ex defender I'm sure he can see we have to stop leaking goals... For me an overhaul of the back five will be a good start. 
  • Options
    I was against him coming in as manager, but I have to admit he's come across well in his interviews. Still not convinced he's the right man to ensure we avoid relegation, but will give him a chance. Not sure it matters who's in charge if we continue with Thomas and Martin in charge.
  • Options
    I was against him coming in as manager, but I have to admit he's come across well in his interviews. Still not convinced he's the right man to ensure we avoid relegation, but will give him a chance. Not sure it matters who's in charge if we continue with Thomas and Martin in charge.
    I was against anyone appointed and/or chosen by Thomas Sandgaard and Junior coming in.
  • Options
    mistaken identity .. saw the name Dean Hold... and immediately thought we were getting 'I've played everywhere' Dean Holdsworth .. I thought wtf !! .. and to be fair when I realised it was Dean Holden, I thought .. wtf !!  :#
    .. welcome Dean and may your magic presence lead us into the play offs as well as to an EFL Wembley Final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My main takeaway from his interview quotes so far is he's going to get stuck into the players.

Quite frankly with the application levels and ability to chuck their managers and teammates under the bus for the last few seasons I've seen from this lot, that is absolutely overdue. I don't want him to take it to Bowyer levels but some of our players need a reality check.

What he's like as a tactician and how he is going to cope with our current state of chaos I have absolutely no idea but if he's going to work on player attitude and workrate in his approach then he's got the right initial idea.
    I don't think we need a tactician or a strategist right now. We aren't likely to out-think many teams and Gardner trying to out-play them is why we're here. Just do a simple job but do it well and get us safe and that's job done.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    My main takeaway from his interview quotes so far is he's going to get stuck into the players.

Quite frankly with the application levels and ability to chuck their managers and teammates under the bus for the last few seasons I've seen from this lot, that is absolutely overdue. I don't want him to take it to Bowyer levels but some of our players need a reality check.

What he's like as a tactician and how he is going to cope with our current state of chaos I have absolutely no idea but if he's going to work on player attitude and workrate in his approach then he's got the right initial idea.
    I don't think we need a tactician or a strategist right now. We aren't likely to out-think many teams and Gardner trying to out-play them is why we're here. Just do a simple job but do it well and get us safe and that's job done.
    I agree - i think we've been overcomplicating things. Sensible, solid tactics and a few good vital additions in certain places and we could quite easily be challenging for the play offs instead of worrying about relegation. Garner was never the future for me - his football was tedious and painful to watch.       
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    thenewbie said:

I agree - i think we've been overcomplicating things. Sensible, solid tactics and a few good vital additions in certain places and we could quite easily be challenging for the play offs instead of worrying about relegation. Garner was never the future for me - his football was tedious and painful to watch.       
    Garner may have been more successful with players capable of playing his style. 

Regarding sensible tactics for the players we have, I hope item 1 on the agenda is knowing when to lump it rather than play out! 

• Options
    Of course it mostly depends on the window but I think if Holden can get even this squad going back to basics then I think we’ll grind out enough points to stay up. I can’t believe that he won’t want to tighten up the defence as a priority. That’s our Achilles heel. Get in a decent striker and I think we’ll be fine. I’m......... 
    You're what? Spit it out, we're waiting
  • Options
    Holden will need a lot of new players.

Last night was great, but let’s see what happens over the next month.

Despite last night, we are still not good enough in this league.

• Options
    Other than the fact that Scott has been through successful transfer windows in the recent past there’s no more that you can rely on in his interview re funds being there than the super duper phone talk of MS.

Clearly we have to allow ourselves to trust someone new again. I will leave it to the more informed on here to state how many of the next few weeks are crucial.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    BigDiddy said:

I’d rather a few very good signings than loads of players coming in, the gap between where we are and the playoffs isn’t that big. Our lack of options up front for one has been a huge weakness. If the ball doesn’t stick up front and you don’t have goals in you it puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team.
    Agree, but the defence is also weak and Dobson apart, the midfield is lame.

We need a spine.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Other than the fact that Scott has been through successful transfer windows in the recent past there’s no more that you can rely on in his interview re funds being there than the super duper phone talk of MS.

Clearly we have to allow ourselves to trust someone new again. I will leave it to the more informed on here to state how many of the next few weeks are crucial.
    There is though a massive difference. Southall mouthing off, who we know is completely untrustworthy is a long way from a well respected bloke like Scott. Sure he could have been lied to but I think it’s highly unlikely that he would have come in with his remit if there were not some very locked on assurances. 
  • Options
    Important.  They would also know by now that TS is a serial teller of non truths and knobjockey extraordinaire, of the highest order.  Why entertain it IF the Danish version of David Brent is still pulling guitar strings?  That's my desperate take on it all.
  • Options
    I can't see Marshall staying very long, as soon as Garner gets another job somewhere else, I'm sure he'll come back for him.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    BigDiddy said:

I’d rather a few very good signings than loads of players coming in, the gap between where we are and the playoffs isn’t that big. Our lack of options up front for one has been a huge weakness. If the ball doesn’t stick up front and you don’t have goals in you it puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team.
    Agreed. Last night showed that the useless defence from Saturday, against much better opposition, can be solid. But we badly lacked a decent all round CF

There is a definitely a mentality issue with our players. Last night they had nothing to lose, and were able to perform well, whereas against lesser opposition that we should be beating, they struggle.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    BigDiddy said:

Agreed. Last night showed that the useless defence from Saturday, against much better opposition, can be solid. But we badly lacked a decent all round CF

There is a definitely a mentality issue with our players. Last night they had nothing to lose, and were able to perform well, whereas against lesser opposition that we should be beating, they struggle.
    Need a leader
    An organiser 
    Two players that can score goals
    Someone that can run in behind
    Left back cover

That could be 6 players or as few as 3 or 4.
  • Options
    I can't see Marshall staying very long, as soon as Garner gets another job somewhere else, I'm sure he'll come back for him.
    Thought he'd gone?
  • Options
    We seem to have more backroom staff than FIFA.

Now we need a few on the pitch!
  • Options
    Thought he'd gone?
    Apparently not. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

Aren't we restricted by a squad limit and a wages to turnover ratio though?

Earning a million from a trip to Old Trafford will certainly help this seasons turnover but it's not as if we can go out and buy 10 new players is it?

We will obviously sign some players so then i assume we'd also then have to loan out or release contracted players as we're quite close already to the squad limit, unless we sign a bunch of players who are U21.

• Options
    How are we earning £1m from one game?