Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Thanks Callum. 
    I've just listened to the podcast & have much more confidence in Holden than I did before.
    He talks a great deal of sense & I wish him well.
    Who knows how he'll be? 
  • If this bunch have taken on their roles without the promise (which must be acted on) of substantial money to spend in the January window they are mugs and should all feck off.
  • Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of four, experienced professionals in senior roles at the club.

Dean Holden has been appointed as men’s first-team Manager, Andy Scott has been appointed as Technical Director, Jim Rodwell has been appointed as Chief Operating Officer and Ed Warrick has been appointed as Finance Director.

Charlton Owner, Thomas Sandgaard, said: “I am delighted we have been able to appoint such experienced and knowledgeable people to help us move forward.

“Each individual appointed has experience at Championship level or higher and the appointments should give us the structure and stability that we need to progress as a club.

“When the men’s first-team is successful, it lifts the entire club, which is why the additions on the footballing side are so important. Dean Holden is a talented manager, who is well-respected in footballing circles. He’ll bring good experience and knowledge which will help us as we look to get our season back on track.

“I am really pleased we have been able to bring in Andy Scott. He is a highly-regarded individual who has played an important role in the success of a number of clubs and has the vision, skillset and contacts to help move the club forward. He’ll play a key role in the January transfer window and longer term will help further align the direction of our men’s first team and academy.

“The appointment of Jim Rodwell gives us senior leadership, on the ground at The Valley. He has excellent experience and I have been very impressed with what I have seen already.

“Ed Warrick is an excellent professional and will be the perfect replacement for Emma Parker, who leaves her role at the end of the week.”

Caretaker Manager, Anthony Hayes, will take Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Brighton & Hove Albion before returning to his role as men’s first-team coach to support Holden. Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach. Jason Pearce, who has been assisting Hayes, will return to his role with the club’s U18s team.

Sandgaard added: “I would like to thank Anthony and the team for stepping up in the interim and managing the side during this challenging period.”

A press conference with Dean Holden will take place this week.

Dean Holden

Holden is a former professional footballer who played 427 games in his career. Since finishing he has managed Oldham Athletic and in the Championship at Bristol City, where he was Assistant Manager from 2016-2020 before becoming manager in 2020.

Andy Scott

Scott, also a former professional footballer, played 396 games in his career. Since retiring, he has established himself in Premier League and Championship backroom roles at Brentford, Watford, Swansea City and Nottingham Forest. Scott will work alongside Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard.

Jim Rodwell

Rodwell is a former professional footballer who most recently served as the interim CEO of Championship side, Hull City. He has previously sat on the board of both the EFL and the FA Council. He was also Director of Football and then Chairman at Boston United before spells as Chief Executive at numerous clubs including Sunderland.

Ed Warrick

Warrick is a Financial Director with experience at Premier League level, as well as working with numerous clubs at a lower level.

The Addicks host Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion at The Valley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. Adult tickets cost just £15. Click here to purchase your tickets. 

For once good football people with football knowledge 
  • Unless Im being thick, it doesnt mention how long Holden's contract is?
  • Unless Im being thick, it doesnt mention how long Holden's contract is?
    Hmm, shrewd move Sandgarrd
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Everyone said the same about Garner. Irrelevant how good a coach he is with this squad. It needs investment and rebuilding. Any coach or manager needs Sandgaard to spend money and be left alone. 
    Not really irrelevant. A good coach will play to players strengths and get players like innis to put his boot through it rather than be a playmaker at the back. 

A good coach will instruct players to get crosses into dangerous positions for stockley to attack.

poor coaching plays just a big a part as poor performances on the pitch. 
    Not doing those things doesn’t make Garner a bad coach. One view is more about short term results, the other about a style for the longer term.

The issue was Sandgaard wanted the results and the style but had neither the patience or funding that Garner needed.
    There were a few flaws in garners plan that he wouldn't temporarily change. I get that he was shafted by Tommy but he never adapted to use what he had
    I’d say he did, he switched to 4-4-2 with two strikers and then Leaburn got injured meaning we had to use midfielders or wingers up front.
    I know what I mean but it's not coming out the way I want it. Before I dig myself deeper, I will climb out the hole and walk away when I still can 😬
    Are you trying to say he refused to play direct defensive football and grind out results? Probably fair but it’s not the only way to improve results.
    no, the same silly mistakes were happening week after week and continue to be made.  Innis playing the ball out of defense is one example.  pretty football from the back is fine but sometimes the ball just needs to be hammered clear to cut out the mistakes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:
    Sky bet should get in on the action and add a new category.

"When will Dean Holden be charltonised and inevitably sacked?"

January: 10/1

February: 8/1

April: 6/4

June: 3/1

September: 5/1
    April it is 
  • edited December 2022
    Anyone who stupid enough to take the Charlton job , by it's own definition , can't be good enough for the job.
  • Dave2l said:
    Sky bet should get in on the action and add a new category.

"When will Dean Holden be charltonised and inevitably sacked?"

January: 10/1

February: 8/1

April: 6/4

June: 3/1

September: 5/1
    April it is 
  • Def looks like these ground breaking appointments have absolutely naff all to do with our glorious leader Tommy, just going from no one to OTT regarding staff, although much needed appointments.
    No he is being worked from above, you can almost see the strings, more is to come soon me thinks...and hopes..🤞🤞
  • Crispy said:
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before but Rodwell's last 2 jobs were Sunderland and Hull, and looks as though he was brought into both clubs to ensure a takeover went smoothly (Louis-Dreyfus at Sunderland and the Turkish group at Hull)
    Very good point and probably goes some to explaining all of these appointments. Do we think it's safe to assume a takeover isn't imminent more that it is likely to happen in the near future?
  • Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of four, experienced professionals in senior roles at the club.

Dean Holden has been appointed as men’s first-team Manager, Andy Scott has been appointed as Technical Director, Jim Rodwell has been appointed as Chief Operating Officer and Ed Warrick has been appointed as Finance Director.

Charlton Owner, Thomas Sandgaard, said: “I am delighted we have been able to appoint such experienced and knowledgeable people to help us move forward.

“Each individual appointed has experience at Championship level or higher and the appointments should give us the structure and stability that we need to progress as a club.

“When the men’s first-team is successful, it lifts the entire club, which is why the additions on the footballing side are so important. Dean Holden is a talented manager, who is well-respected in footballing circles. He’ll bring good experience and knowledge which will help us as we look to get our season back on track.

“I am really pleased we have been able to bring in Andy Scott. He is a highly-regarded individual who has played an important role in the success of a number of clubs and has the vision, skillset and contacts to help move the club forward. He’ll play a key role in the January transfer window and longer term will help further align the direction of our men’s first team and academy.

“The appointment of Jim Rodwell gives us senior leadership, on the ground at The Valley. He has excellent experience and I have been very impressed with what I have seen already.

“Ed Warrick is an excellent professional and will be the perfect replacement for Emma Parker, who leaves her role at the end of the week.”

Caretaker Manager, Anthony Hayes, will take Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Brighton & Hove Albion before returning to his role as men’s first-team coach to support Holden. Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach. Jason Pearce, who has been assisting Hayes, will return to his role with the club’s U18s team.

Sandgaard added: “I would like to thank Anthony and the team for stepping up in the interim and managing the side during this challenging period.”

Dean Holden

Holden is a former professional footballer who played 427 games in his career. Since finishing he has managed Oldham Athletic and in the Championship at Bristol City, where he was Assistant Manager from 2016-2020 before becoming manager in 2020.

Andy Scott

Scott, also a former professional footballer, played 396 games in his career. Since retiring, he has established himself in Premier League and Championship backroom roles at Brentford, Watford, Swansea City and Nottingham Forest. Scott will work alongside Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard.

Jim Rodwell

Rodwell is a former professional footballer who most recently served as the interim CEO of Championship side, Hull City. He has previously sat on the board of both the EFL and the FA Council. He was also Director of Football and then Chairman at Boston United before spells as Chief Executive at numerous clubs including Sunderland.

Ed Warrick

Warrick is a Financial Director with experience at Premier League level, as well as working with numerous clubs at a lower level.

The Addicks host Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion at The Valley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. Adult tickets cost just £15. Click here to purchase your tickets. 

Keep taking the tablets.
  • Can't see it working out but, I've said all I need to say on Dean Holden. Time to give out full support to him and the players... Got a feeling they're gonna need it. 
  • Def looks like these ground breaking appointments have absolutely naff all to do with our glorious leader Tommy, just going from no one to OTT regarding staff, although much needed appointments.
    No he is being worked from above, you can almost see the strings, more is to come soon me thinks...and hopes..🤞🤞
    However, if the appointments are being made by the new guys it is very worrying.   

• Realistically, I'm not sure we can get anyone much better in the current circumstances, especially amongst out of work managers, and without the clean change of regime in place.
  • Leuth said:
    What sort of football does he tend to play, though? NOT THAT IT MATTERS OF COURSE

HOLDENBALL 
  • Sponsored links:

• No mention of Holden’s contract length - is this significant?
  • Who has departed? Has firmware and software also left the building 🙏
  • The announcement is trying a little bit too hard to show their footballing credentials, but in terms of getting the club up to speed this is about as good as we could have hoped.

It's actually got me feeling a bit... positive?

Tomorrow is a freebie, will be looking forward to seeing Welbeck's non-stop running destroy us, BUT going forward there is optimism?! Is that a word? I've not used it in ages on here.

Dean Holden

Andy Scott

Jim Rodwell

Ed Warrick

But we have a total plank [s] who own us and the Valley. Next our playing squad is worse than pathetic and we need at least 15-18 GOOD players to replace the dross we have now.

Whole new defence 
    New midfield 
    New strikers 
    New wingers 

Players just about good enough to keep as squad players?

Dobson, Woollcott, CBT  

Beyond those 3, who is good enough based on the last 2 seasons ??

Finally, TS will not spend any money and its clear he would sell if he could find someone mug enough to pay him what he demands, which I presume is whatever he has wasted to date + some profit. £20m+ is a figure I have heard. And what about the Valley ? What’s that cockroach RD going to demand ?

So, I am not expecting this will go anywhere good.

Still, the bozo known as TS might suddenly inject a pile of cash into the upcoming window and prove people like me wrong.

Like others as said, you could put the best management team on the planet into the club and it would still be a shit show.

New ownership is now overdue.
  • And now we’ve got Dean Holden we’re f*****g dynamite

The song fits, sadly the team doesn’t 😂
  • OK, maybe I'm a little too positive. Can see some respected dissenting voices.

Oh well, I think these are good football appointments. Off the field, I dunno and there isn't much I can do about it. Fingers crossed, I guess.
  • edited December 2022
    So the appointments break down as...

Dean Holden  - Ben Garner replacement 
    Andy Scott -  Ged Roddy replacement 
    Jim Rodwell - Brian Jokatt replacement 
    Ed Warwick - Emma Parker replacement 

Let's hope they all last longer than who they're replacing!

*Edited Cheers