Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Oh dear….. Completely underwhelmed, bemused, confused. F@##ed off. What a bloody pantomime. Sandgaard just go for this clubs sake and all fans sanity.
  • So the appointments break down as...

Dean Holden  - Ben Garner replacement 
    Andy Scott -  Ged Roddy replacement 
    Jim Rodwell - Brian Jokatt replacement 

Let's hope they all last longer than who they're replacing!
    Ed Warwick is set to replace someone who is leaving (Emma Parker)
  • edited December 2022
    seth plum said:
    If this bunch have taken on their roles without the promise (which must be acted on) of substantial money to spend in the January window they are mugs and should all feck off.
    We'll have to wait and see, I suppose. What's the alternative?
  • Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of four, experienced professionals in senior roles at the club.

Dean Holden has been appointed as men’s first-team Manager, Andy Scott has been appointed as Technical Director, Jim Rodwell has been appointed as Chief Operating Officer and Ed Warrick has been appointed as Finance Director.

Charlton Owner, Thomas Sandgaard, said: “I am delighted we have been able to appoint such experienced and knowledgeable people to help us move forward.

“Each individual appointed has experience at Championship level or higher and the appointments should give us the structure and stability that we need to progress as a club.

“When the men’s first-team is successful, it lifts the entire club, which is why the additions on the footballing side are so important. Dean Holden is a talented manager, who is well-respected in footballing circles. He’ll bring good experience and knowledge which will help us as we look to get our season back on track.

“I am really pleased we have been able to bring in Andy Scott. He is a highly-regarded individual who has played an important role in the success of a number of clubs and has the vision, skillset and contacts to help move the club forward. He’ll play a key role in the January transfer window and longer term will help further align the direction of our men’s first team and academy.

“The appointment of Jim Rodwell gives us senior leadership, on the ground at The Valley. He has excellent experience and I have been very impressed with what I have seen already.

“Ed Warrick is an excellent professional and will be the perfect replacement for Emma Parker, who leaves her role at the end of the week.”

Caretaker Manager, Anthony Hayes, will take Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Brighton & Hove Albion before returning to his role as men’s first-team coach to support Holden. Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach. Jason Pearce, who has been assisting Hayes, will return to his role with the club’s U18s team.

Sandgaard added: “I would like to thank Anthony and the team for stepping up in the interim and managing the side during this challenging period.”

A press conference with Dean Holden will take place this week.

Dean Holden

Holden is a former professional footballer who played 427 games in his career. Since finishing he has managed Oldham Athletic and in the Championship at Bristol City, where he was Assistant Manager from 2016-2020 before becoming manager in 2020.

Andy Scott

Scott, also a former professional footballer, played 396 games in his career. Since retiring, he has established himself in Premier League and Championship backroom roles at Brentford, Watford, Swansea City and Nottingham Forest. Scott will work alongside Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard.

Jim Rodwell

Rodwell is a former professional footballer who most recently served as the interim CEO of Championship side, Hull City. He has previously sat on the board of both the EFL and the FA Council. He was also Director of Football and then Chairman at Boston United before spells as Chief Executive at numerous clubs including Sunderland.

Ed Warrick

Warrick is a Financial Director with experience at Premier League level, as well as working with numerous clubs at a lower level.

The Addicks host Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion at The Valley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. Adult tickets cost just £15. Click here to purchase your tickets. 

For once good football people with football knowledge 
    Start taking the tablets.

• OK, maybe I'm a little too positive. Can see some respected dissenting voices.

Oh well, I think these are good football appointments. Off the field, I dunno and there isn't much I can do about it. Fingers crossed, I guess.
    Ever the optimist eh?!
  • Andy Scott’s first signing to be Lyle Taylor who he has worked with at Nottingham Forest. 

Lyle Taylor could definitely do a job for us …apart from his last three games of his contract obviously. 
    The up side is that with Lyle and Scott the players will be well turned out on matchdays. 
  • New investors coming in? Is Sandgaard finally splashing the cash? Only time will tell. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Def looks like these ground breaking appointments have absolutely naff all to do with our glorious leader Tommy, just going from no one to OTT regarding staff, although much needed appointments.
    No he is being worked from above, you can almost see the strings, more is to come soon me thinks...and hopes..🤞🤞
    However, if the appointments are being made by the new guys it is very worrying.   

Why? 
  • I wish Holden well and hope he keeps us afloat. Can't see the point of laying into him.

Of course, none of this is his fault.

However, we have been here before, so fans are on a very short fuse.
  • Scoham said:
    No mention of Holden’s contract length - is this significant?
    He's possibly caretaker & if so on a short term contract, probably extended if he does well. 
  • So the appointments break down as...

Dean Holden  - Ben Garner replacement 
    Andy Scott -  Ged Roddy replacement 
    Jim Rodwell - Brian Jokatt replacement 
    Ed Warwick - Emma Parker replacement 

Let's hope they all last longer than who they're replacing!

*Edited Cheers

One person, the most important is who is Tommy's bloody replacement, that's what we all need to know...this is mental torture
  • MrLargo said:
    Great appointment, can't wait to see what he can achieve in his three months at the club with a squad of League 2 players. Exciting times.
    Need to stay in L1 - someone needs to steady the ship until we get a new owner.
  • MrLargo said:
    Great appointment, can't wait to see what he can achieve in his three months at the club with a squad of League 2 players. Exciting times.
    A line we have used for the last 10 years+, and we are STILL sinking like the bloody Titanic
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:
    A line we have used for the last 10 years+, and we are STILL sinking like the bloody Titanic
    Hopefully we can avoid L2.
  • Holden was a CB? Might help our 2 calamity janes at the back
  • edited December 2022
    Having had a few hours to think about it & having seen Holden's resumè I still don't know what to think. 

Part of me thinks we could do worse & it seems Holden wasn't that bad at his previous jobs.....and they were in the Championship whereas JJ & Garner were inexperienced & never managed higher than League 1.He hasn't been out of management long so its not as if he is desperate for a job so he must see something in us.

But then I think there must be more to it than that. Perhaps he is only temporary, to see us into the summer & to keep us up. No idea what his footballing philosophy is but I doubt it's the pass pass pass tactics of Garner. 

Shame he isn't taking charge tomorrow but I"ll be there Boxing Day to see what magical formation our new manager can come up with. 

• Zero mention of the length of Holden’s contract. 
  • swordfish said:
    If it is Holden, he starts with a clean slate IMO and I hope he can change our fortunes for the better with what's available to him. I won't prejudge him as he's an unknown to me, but if he can get us to finish top half, he'll have done well IMO.
  • ct_addick said:
    Holden was a CB? Might help our 2 calamity janes at the back
    Will he inject the pair with a modicum of football talent ?

Beyond help, IMO
  • swordfish said:
    If it is Holden, he starts with a clean slate IMO and I hope he can change our fortunes for the better with what's available to him. I won't prejudge him as he's an unknown to me, but if he can get us to finish top half, he'll have done well IMO.
    For me Holden has a simple brief, keep us up and if he makes a case for longer term good luck to him.
  • I think that we have long been in the territory of dented expectations with Charlton.

Why do I get that strangely familiar feeling that we are being set up for another plunge to new depths?

Good luck to them all of course but it looks like my letter to Santa Claus will go undelivered again unable to cross the picket line.
  • Hopefully these guys will be allowed to do their jobs, with minimum interference. Can only wish them luck.