Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Everyone said the same about Garner. Irrelevant how good a coach he is with this squad. It needs investment and rebuilding. Any coach or manager needs Sandgaard to spend money and be left alone. 
    I’ll copy and paste what I replied to @Valley11

Agreed but that’s a separate argument. Only here to defend Holden’s credentials, not the club as a whole, which is a shambles.
  • What sort of football does he tend to play, though? NOT THAT IT MATTERS OF COURSE
  • If Holden keeps us up and we cobsolidate in L1 I'll be happy for now
  • edited December 2022

• Leuth said:
    What sort of football does he tend to play, though? NOT THAT IT MATTERS OF COURSE
    He might want to play like Argentina but given what he has to work with we'll still end up looking like the Faroe Islands
  • Think I might end up with a banning order tomorrow night!
    Take a sofa with you, Micks rubbish with faces when you stand next to one 😉
  • Everyone said the same about Garner. Irrelevant how good a coach he is with this squad. It needs investment and rebuilding. Any coach or manager needs Sandgaard to spend money and be left alone. 
    I’ll copy and paste what I replied to @Valley11

Agreed but that’s a separate argument. Only here to defend Holden’s credentials, not the club as a whole, which is a shambles.
    I hear you, but it’s relevant, you can’t just ignore it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I have less reservations about Holden than I did 24 hours ago.

In the main because its clearly not all that is happening.
    What is considerably less clear is what IS actually happening, if anything. And if anyone actually involved knows anything about it.

So far there's so much bullshit and contradiction around I doubt anyone knows who is doing what or when it is supposed to be done by.
    Not really irrelevant. A good coach will play to players strengths and get players like innis to put his boot through it rather than be a playmaker at the back. 

A good coach will instruct players to get crosses into dangerous positions for stockley to attack.

poor coaching plays just a big a part as poor performances on the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022

I’m not ignoring it. I’m completely aware of it and I agree with you.

I even said myself getting rid of Garner was the wrong decision because there wouldn’t be much better available and the problems run far deeper than just getting a new manager in. I compared it to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It doesn’t need to be said again and again.

What I’ve read on here over the last 24 hours from some folks is that Holden is a poor choice and others have even gone as far as to say we’re nailed on for League Two. 

Those are the people I’m posting articles, podcasts and managerial record for.
  • Love seeing people make conclusions just to make themselves feel better!
  • edited December 2022
    Scoham said:
    Everyone said the same about Garner. Irrelevant how good a coach he is with this squad. It needs investment and rebuilding. Any coach or manager needs Sandgaard to spend money and be left alone. 
    Not really irrelevant. A good coach will play to players strengths and get players like innis to put his boot through it rather than be a playmaker at the back. 

A good coach will instruct players to get crosses into dangerous positions for stockley to attack.

Not doing those things doesn’t make Garner a bad coach. One view is more about short term results, the other about a style for the longer term.

The issue was Sandgaard wanted the results and the style but had neither the patience or funding that Garner needed.
    With us plunging towards a local derby with Sutton United, short term results must be the priority now
  • LTKapal said:
    Andy Scott? Wasn’t that the bloke from the Cillit Bang adverts ten years ago?
    Hi I’m Barry Scott and this is Cillit Bang!
    YOU SHOULD PUT IT CAPITALS, AS IF YOU'RE SHOUTING.
  • Scoham said:
    Everyone said the same about Garner. Irrelevant how good a coach he is with this squad. It needs investment and rebuilding. Any coach or manager needs Sandgaard to spend money and be left alone. 

Not doing those things doesn’t make Garner a bad coach. One view is more about short term results, the other about a style for the longer term.

The issue was Sandgaard wanted the results and the style but had neither the patience or funding that Garner needed.
    There were a few flaws in garners plan that he wouldn't temporarily change. I get that he was shafted by Tommy but he never adapted to use what he had

• I’m not ignoring it. I’m completely aware of it and I agree with you.

I even said myself getting rid of Garner was the wrong decision because there wouldn’t be much better available and the problems run far deeper than just getting a new manager in. I compared it to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It doesn’t need to be said again and again.

What I’ve read on here over the last 24 hours from some folks is that Holden is a poor choice and others have even gone as far as to say we’re nailed on for League Two. 

Those are the people I’m posting articles, podcasts and managerial record for.
    Cool. Yeh no idea if he’s a good appointment or not. Not the most experienced but we’ll see. 
  • I'm sure it must have been mentioned on here but Holden got himself sent off against us in the Cup in the same Bolton side that beat us 1-0 as Mark Fish and Claus Jensen:

Not long after, Holden would have his own, painful taste of his manager’s authority.

‘I got sent off in the FA Cup quarter-final against Charlton after sticking my forehead too close to John Robinson,’ he remembers. ‘I instantly regretted it. Big Sam came up the tunnel after the game and did the same to me! Then he screamed, "Did you touch him?"

‘I told him I wasn’t sure. He told me I had let my team-mates down and fined me two weeks wages – he wants you to intimidate the opposition but he’s big on discipline.’

That intimidation, says Holden who made more than 400 appearances in a 16-year career, even stretched to the pre-match warm-ups.

‘We arrived at games half an hour before kick-off already stripped and went straight on to the pitch to warm up,’ he says. ‘He used to have us warming up on the same side of the pitch as the opposition!’

Holden, 36, believes his former boss is like no other and remembers Allardyce’s willingness to embrace innovation.

‘I’d broken my leg and we were big on visualisation at the time,’ he adds.

So (performance director) Mike Forde had me out on the training pitch doing one on one sessions. I’m stood in the full back position communicating, moving my feet and visualising opponents – he saw that as a way of getting me up to speed quicker!’

The broken leg throws up another tale.

‘He visited me in hospital,’ Holden says. 'It was deadline day so I was really pleased he’d made the effort. He brought me a gift, a four pack of Carling, but with only three cans in it - he told me three was enough and not to drink them all at once.’

Former Oldham Athletic captain Holden, whose clubs include Peterborough United, Falkirk and Shrewsbury Town, thinks that England’s players will love playing under his former boss.

‘He takes a keen interest in you and builds a relationship,’ he says.

‘He wants to know what makes you tick, who you support, what your hobbies are and he treats everyone differently.’

Holden believes Allardyce’s ability to create a siege mentality will serve him well at this stage in England’s history and that he will almost be able bring a club team mentality at national level.

‘He will create a club-like mentality where everyone is in it together,’ he says, before closing with a statement that could be music to the ears of every England player and fan.

‘The players will know exactly what is expected of them. They will enjoy working with him because everyone will feel valued. He is an inspirational leader.’

• Sponsored links:

• Holden took the job just before the January transfer window.

That IS a good sign at least. He is confident that he will be recruiting within the window.

You can't lie to and frustrate any manager straight away. 

Even if TS will be gritting his teeth and not liking the outgoings, I think certain promises will have to be kept, and they will be
  • Scoham said:

There were a few flaws in garners plan that he wouldn't temporarily change. I get that he was shafted by Tommy but he never adapted to use what he had
    I’d say he did, he switched to 4-4-2 with two strikers and then Leaburn got injured meaning we had to use midfielders or wingers up front.
  • Scoham said:

With us plunging towards a local derby with Sutton United, short term results must be the priority now
    Yes that’s fair enough and possibly how TS is looking at it. Nothing to suggest Holden is a manager who plays a high pressing possession style. 
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I’d say he did, he switched to 4-4-2 with two strikers and then Leaburn got injured meaning we had to use midfielders or wingers up front.
    I know what I mean but it's not coming out the way I want it. Before I dig myself deeper, I will climb out the hole and walk away when I still can 😬
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

I know what I mean but it's not coming out the way I want it. Before I dig myself deeper, I will climb out the hole and walk away when I still can 😬
    Are you trying to say he refused to play direct defensive football and grind out results? Probably fair but it’s not the only way to improve results.
  • https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-scott-rodwell-and-warrick-appointed-senior-roles

Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach

First time its actually been mentioned that he's still around, havent seen him mentioned since Garner was sacked
  • Charlton Athletic are delighted to confirm the appointment of four, experienced professionals in senior roles at the club.

Dean Holden has been appointed as men’s first-team Manager, Andy Scott has been appointed as Technical Director, Jim Rodwell has been appointed as Chief Operating Officer and Ed Warrick has been appointed as Finance Director.

Charlton Owner, Thomas Sandgaard, said: “I am delighted we have been able to appoint such experienced and knowledgeable people to help us move forward.

“Each individual appointed has experience at Championship level or higher and the appointments should give us the structure and stability that we need to progress as a club.

“When the men’s first-team is successful, it lifts the entire club, which is why the additions on the footballing side are so important. Dean Holden is a talented manager, who is well-respected in footballing circles. He’ll bring good experience and knowledge which will help us as we look to get our season back on track.

“I am really pleased we have been able to bring in Andy Scott. He is a highly-regarded individual who has played an important role in the success of a number of clubs and has the vision, skillset and contacts to help move the club forward. He’ll play a key role in the January transfer window and longer term will help further align the direction of our men’s first team and academy.

“The appointment of Jim Rodwell gives us senior leadership, on the ground at The Valley. He has excellent experience and I have been very impressed with what I have seen already.

“Ed Warrick is an excellent professional and will be the perfect replacement for Emma Parker, who leaves her role at the end of the week.”

Caretaker Manager, Anthony Hayes, will take Wednesday’s Carabao Cup tie against Brighton & Hove Albion before returning to his role as men’s first-team coach to support Holden. Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach. Jason Pearce, who has been assisting Hayes, will return to his role with the club’s U18s team.

Sandgaard added: “I would like to thank Anthony and the team for stepping up in the interim and managing the side during this challenging period.”

A press conference with Dean Holden will take place this week.

Dean Holden

Holden is a former professional footballer who played 427 games in his career. Since finishing he has managed Oldham Athletic and in the Championship at Bristol City, where he was Assistant Manager from 2016-2020 before becoming manager in 2020.

Andy Scott

Scott, also a former professional footballer, played 396 games in his career. Since retiring, he has established himself in Premier League and Championship backroom roles at Brentford, Watford, Swansea City and Nottingham Forest. Scott will work alongside Director of Recruiting, Steve Gallen, and Director of Analytics, Martin Sandgaard.

Jim Rodwell

Rodwell is a former professional footballer who most recently served as the interim CEO of Championship side, Hull City. He has previously sat on the board of both the EFL and the FA Council. He was also Director of Football and then Chairman at Boston United before spells as Chief Executive at numerous clubs including Sunderland.

Ed Warrick

Warrick is a Financial Director with experience at Premier League level, as well as working with numerous clubs at a lower level.

The Addicks host Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion at The Valley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday. Adult tickets cost just £15. Click here to purchase your tickets. 

• https://www.charltonafc.com/news/holden-scott-rodwell-and-warrick-appointed-senior-roles

Scott Marshall will continue as men’s first-team assistant coach

First time its actually been mentioned that he's still around, havent seen him mentioned since Garner was sacked
    Isint he our ‘defensive’ coach?

He may flourish under a different coaching style, but him staying does not fill me with confidence.