Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• NabySarr said:
    Andy Scott would not come here to source free transfers from div 2
    Exactly, seems very odd that a premier league level recruiter would drop down to league 1. Maybe for more responsibility? But I can’t see him wanting to work with the budget cuts we’ve seen this season 
    Where? 

He just got sacked from the Championship and never held a Premier League post? 
    Forest sacked him on 11th October 2022...
    Yeah couple of months late I suppose. 2 months is bags of experience. 
    Two months is still longer than never holding a Premier League post
  • NabySarr said:
    Exactly, seems very odd that a premier league level recruiter would drop down to league 1. Maybe for more responsibility? But I can’t see him wanting to work with the budget cuts we’ve seen this season 
    Where? 

As a director of football he's held zero posts. Even better. 
  • edited December 2022
    NabySarr said:
    Where? 

As a director of football he's held zero posts. Even better. 
    Didnt think I was arguing that point...?
  • Holden sounds a bit like Oldham. Look where they are now.
  • @deanholdenuk we had him as a coach at Stoke and he was not only a superb coach who bought some of the best young players through, was also a top genuine bloke. He is dignified and professional to the end. If it's true. Good luck Dean, you'll smash it.
    You've really got to stop doing this.
  • @deanholdenuk we had him as a coach at Stoke and he was not only a superb coach who bought some of the best young players through, was also a top genuine bloke. He is dignified and professional to the end. If it's true. Good luck Dean, you'll smash it.
    Mmmm, where have i seen that before...🤔🙄
    Maybe you saw the original tweet that he is quoting?
    Given the address at the front of the tweet it is from someone close to Dean.
    You've really got to stop doing this.
    Why is quoting someone wrong?
  • Sorry but I refuse to be reassured by the Holden appointment just because his Mum posts on Twitter
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Beyond really caring right now, but Holden himself doesn’t deserve any vitriol for taking a managers job and wanting to do the best for himself and his career. 

He deserves to be given a chance.

As for TS, he’s had all the chances I’m currently willing to give.
    We're not in a position to be taking a chance on Dean Holden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Andy Scott?  Who he?
    Google him and I’m 99% sure it’s Matt Hollands double! 
  • You folk do realise Forest are a PL team now? We are in the market for staff who have been sacked by Clubs in L2/L1, let alone the Championship and Premier league.
  • BigDiddy said:
    Appointing a manager makes no sense if he’s selling up
    He is too big headed to act sensibly. My view is he will run us into the ground and then walk away, plunging us into Administration. Might not happen this season, but one does not have to look too far to see other clubs that have either disappeared or dropped out of the leagues.

I think we could end up in the national league….

I just hope he has not pissed off HMRC or the VAT man and that he walks away and leaves us with a pile of debt.

Another shite manager is the least of our problems
    You’re a right ray of sunshine aren’t you? ;)
    Sorry, but this club has appointed a shite manager….
  • Any manager we appoint will struggle until we get a credible owner. If whoever comes in as manager can organise our defence and keep us in L1 that will be a start.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Beyond really caring right now, but Holden himself doesn’t deserve any vitriol for taking a managers job and wanting to do the best for himself and his career. 

But we are in a position as a club where we have to be taking a chance on someone.
  • NabySarr said:
    A predominantly championship level recruiter who wants to take his first step into a Director of Football role, so is dropping down to one of the biggest clubs in league one. 

Calling him premier league level is like saying Lyle Taylor is a premier league level striker. 
  • RC_CAFC said:

We're not in a position where we could realistically hope to get anyone much better.
  • Will it be worth him unpacking his case ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Will it be worth him unpacking his case ?
    15 appointments in 16 years at Charlton.  I wouldn’t be looking for a mortgage 
  • RC_CAFC said:

What type of football is Holdenball? Just ditching the pointless sideways passing at the back would cut out some of the goals we've leaked of late and if he can find a way to release the pace of CBT and JRS and get some goals out of Stockley and Leaburn then we should be able to get to mid table anything higher than that requires yet another complete squad and coaching overhaul which won't be cheap.
  • RC_CAFC said:

But we are in a position as a club where we have to be taking a chance on someone.
    Most managers would struggle at our club given the mess it is in however good they are. We just have to make sure we stay up this season.
  • Sounds like he may have been a decent coach. As a manager, since his first job at Walsall 7.5 years ago he’s only been a manager for 10 months in total:

• edited December 2022
    bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    He is too big headed to act sensibly. My view is he will run us into the ground and then walk away, plunging us into Administration. Might not happen this season, but one does not have to look too far to see other clubs that have either disappeared or dropped out of the leagues.

I just hope he has not pissed off HMRC or the VAT man and that he walks away and leaves us with a pile of debt.

How do you arrive at that description? Holden is inexperienced but too early to say whether or not he is shite. 

Who would you have gone for?
    Look at his [non] record and total lack of experience!

We needed a Bowyer, Warnock……But our owner is intent on proving what a total jerk he is.

Another step down in our ongoing decline - sorry you can’t see that

• RC_CAFC said:

What type of football is Holdenball? Just ditching the pointless sideways passing at the back would cut out some of the goals we've leaked of late and if he can find a way to release the pace of CBT and JRS and get some goals out of Stockley and Leaburn then we should be able to get to mid table anything higher than that requires yet another complete squad and coaching overhaul which won't be cheap.
    Win games. We can play like a Dave Bassett or a John Beck side, as long as win games no one cares on the style. You don’t extra points for artistic expression 
  • edited December 2022
    BigDiddy said:
    bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

How do you arrive at that description? Holden is inexperienced but too early to say whether or not he is shite. 

Who would you have gone for?
    Bowyer, Warnock……
    Bowyer was one of the most inexperienced choices we could have gone for back in 2018...

He had no experience prior to joining Charlton in a consultancy (?) role before permanently joining the coaching staff under Robinson, and a lot of people prior to the Plymouth game expected a thrashing.
  • RC_CAFC said:

We’re in a position where we have to do something and quickly. What management appointment do you think would be risk free, available, and would take the job?

Easy to criticise, but by implication you are already saying the DOF is crap. I know nothing about Dean, but let’s give the guy at least half a game.
  • Andy Scott’s first signing to be Lyle Taylor who he has worked with at Nottingham Forest. 

Lyle Taylor could definitely do a job for us …apart from his last three games of his contract obviously. 
    It was a lot more than three, wasn’t it?