Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• I honestly thought Dean Holden was former US international Stuart Holden. It's got so bad I literally don't know who our rumoured new manager is which is something I haven't experienced since about 2015.

Sandgaard really is Duchatelet all over again.
  • If it’s Holden, then TS is staying in charge for the foreseeable future.  
  • stonemuse said:
    If it’s Holden, then TS is staying in charge for the foreseeable future.  
    And we'll end the season being relegated to L2.
  • edited December 2022
    Dean Holden Managerial record by team and tenure;

Dean HoldenManagerial record by team and tenure
    TeamFromToRecord
    PWDLWin %
    Oldham Athletic25 February 20155 May 20151535720.0
    Bristol City5 July 202016 February 2021411851843.9
    Stoke City(caretaker)26 August 202227 August 20221100100.0
    Total5722102538.6
  • Leuth said:
    So what can this bloke do that Garner can't? 
    Fuck all 
  • The hotline for all this is @bobmunro of this parish because he is connected to the Coates family.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-manager-dean-holden-7518921
  • Leuth said:
    Keep quiet when he learns the full extent of the Sandgaard sh@tshow
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210911-holden-sack-or-keep/page/15/

Well worth a read for a look into what we could be about to witness. 
  • https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210911-holden-sack-or-keep/page/15/

Sounds promising then
  • I mean reading that link, isnt this what all fans would say on the back of a bad run. For what it is worth, having spoken to a few Stoke supporting friends, he is very much a defensive minded coach and tbh that is exactly what we need in the moment. If he comes in gets few wins and clean sheets and gets us way from the drop zone whilst all the other crap sorts itself out then good
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I mean reading that link, isnt this what all fans would say on the back of a bad run. For what it is worth, having spoken to a few Stoke supporting friends, he is very much a defensive minded coach and tbh that is exactly what we need in the moment. If he comes in gets few wins and clean sheets and gets us way from the drop zone whilst all the other crap sorts itself out then good
    Wasn’t he only in charge for one game at stoke ?
  • edited December 2022
    ‘Holden was a defender who was comfortable playing at right-back and centre-back. Over a sixteen-year playing career, he amassed 369 league appearances in representing ten clubs mainly in the lower leagues scoring 22 goals’. 
  • edited December 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    I mean reading that link, isnt this what all fans would say on the back of a bad run. For what it is worth, having spoken to a few Stoke supporting friends, he is very much a defensive minded coach and tbh that is exactly what we need in the moment. If he comes in gets few wins and clean sheets and gets us way from the drop zone whilst all the other crap sorts itself out then good
    Wasn’t he only in charge for one game at stoke ?
    Yep, See managerial stats above 😉. He was however Assistant manager there for 16 months to Michael O’Neill.
  • This is all @bobmunro's doing and guilt has got the better of him in recommending Holden to TS. That said, it can't have been easy to hand Holden his P45 after the Stoke Manager guided the team through what must have been an extremely turbulent period at the club (48 hours) and during which time he produced a 100% win record. I'm sure we'll be happy if Holden can match that here. The 100% record not the 48 hours, that is, even if the latter ends up being nearer the mark. 
  • Leuth said:
    Go to work on boxing day
  • Dean Holden isn't a disastrous appointment, but is a pretty underwhelming one. It's difficult to know what his style of football is, though you'd hope he could organise the defence better.

On the other hand this article is reasonably positive about him and it's worth noting that Brizzle haven't obviously improved since he was replaced by Nigel Pearson

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-reasons-why-appointing-dean-holden-as-manager-is-a-risk-worth-taking-for-charlton-athletic/
  • Sponsored links:

• I honestly thought Dean Holden was former US international Stuart Holden. It's got so bad I literally don't know who our rumoured new manager is which is something I haven't experienced since about 2015.

Stuart Holden does commentary for Fox over here. I wish he'd take a managerial job so I didn't have to listen to him. 

I would say, did you know who Garner, Adkins, Michael Beale, even Nathan Jones were before they were linked to us? I'm not exactly wowed but the appointment, but he has managed twice in the Championship, and me not recalling the name isn't really the concern. 
  • edited December 2022
    https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/210911-holden-sack-or-keep/page/15/

They haven’t exactly set the world alight since he left, suggesting he wasn’t the problem there. I tend to not to want to listen to a bunch of fans who were saying they want to bring in Tisdale instead!

For what it’s worth, the comments I’ve read seem to suggest he’s highly respected as a person and isn’t the worst coach. 

Overall, the impression I get is a steady pair of hands which is probably exactly what the club needs until we can pull the entire set-up out of it’s current mess.
  • edited December 2022
    RedChaser said:
    ‘Holden was a defender who was comfortable playing at right-back and centre-back. Over a sixteen-year playing career, he amassed 369 league appearances in representing ten clubs mainly in the lower leagues scoring 22 goals’. 
    Is he joining us as a player or manager or both?;)
  • CH4RLTON said:
    A defensive minded coach with no strikers sounds about right to me.
  • This is the only kind of manager we were likely to attract - ones that didn’t expect to
    get another job .  
  • Sandgaard recently said finding a new manager could take weeks so is this going to be another temporary appointment? 
  • SDAddick said:
    I honestly thought Dean Holden was former US international Stuart Holden. It's got so bad I literally don't know who our rumoured new manager is which is something I haven't experienced since about 2015.

Stuart Holden does commentary for Fox over here. I wish he'd take a managerial job so I didn't have to listen to him. 

I would say, did you know who Garner, Adkins, Michael Beale, even Nathan Jones were before they were linked to us? I'm not exactly wowed but the appointment, but he has managed twice in the Championship, and me not recalling the name isn't really the concern. 
    Yes, I knew all of these people. I'm not sure Adkins (who won back to back promotions to the PL) can be put in this bracket! I have to go back to the Riga, Luzon, Fraeye era to get to this point.