Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Not an inspiring choice, but some of the comments about Holden are a bit unfair, as if he was a a Karel Fraeye or someone plucked from L2. Indeed on paper you could say his credentials were better than Garner's.

I'd certainly heard of him from his time at Bristol City - a club who've been a regular in the Championship for several years - while being assistant at Stoke, a well run and funded club, isn't the worse thing to have on your CV either.
  • bobmunro said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Appointing a manager makes no sense if he’s selling up
    He is too big headed to act sensibly. My view is he will run us into the ground and then walk away, plunging us into Administration. Might not happen this season, but one does not have to look too far to see other clubs that have either disappeared or dropped out of the leagues.

I think we could end up in the national league….

I just hope he has not pissed off HMRC or the VAT man and that he walks away and leaves us with a pile of debt.

Another shite manager is the least of our problems
    You’re a right ray of sunshine aren’t you? ;)
    Sorry, but this club has appointed a shite manager….
    How do you arrive at that description? Holden is inexperienced but too early to say whether or not he is shite. 

Who would you have gone for?
    I would have taken a punt on Liam Manning. Might have worked. Might have gone terribly wrong, but there was something there last season.

At least with Manning one could construct the argument that we were trying to execute the same overall philosophy as with Garner. Now less than 6 months since the high press/possession based style and approach revolution, we are going for someone who is styled as a defensive manager. As usual with this administration - no coherent plan means no positive outcome.
  • Redrobo said:
    So what is the news us fans are meant to be excited about, this big announcement, surely not what is being mentioned 
    Personally going to wait until I can see more of the picture. There is clearly much more going on.
    That's my view too. There maybe nothing else going on, but I'll take a new manager without prejudging, and wait and see if we are gong to see some competent football people incoming. No sense in going overbaord either way, none of us are going to be asked for approval, and my applause comes for a job well done, not a load of overhyped nonsenes before a ball has been kicked in anger. 
    But I will add a change of manager on it's own won't help. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Andy Scott would not come here to source free transfers from div 2
    Exactly, seems very odd that a premier league level recruiter would drop down to league 1. Maybe for more responsibility? But I can’t see him wanting to work with the budget cuts we’ve seen this season 
    Where? 

He just got sacked from the Championship and never held a Premier League post? 
    Forest sacked him on 11th October 2022...
    Yeah couple of months late I suppose. 2 months is bags of experience. 
    Two months is still longer than never holding a Premier League post

Les Reed managed us in the Premier League. He's a manager with Premier League experience.

Means fuck all.
    You're completely ignoring the context of my comment.

SELR claimed that Andy Scott had never held a Premier League post... I was correcting him
  • edited December 2022
    Don't really care, they could appoint Brian Cloughs ghost and I wouldn't bat an eyelid at the moment.
  • Warnock is probably the only manager I could see sorting our players out.
  • Sponsored links:

• So the appointment fans will be really excited about is.......Andy Scott??
  • Holden sounds a bit like Oldham. Look where they are now.
    On the Northeast of Manchester?
  • edited December 2022
    Warnock Conscription is probably the only manager I could see sorting our players out.
    Sorry!
  • If results stay rubbish it will be difficult to sympathise with him like we did with Garner as he’s an out of work manager who will have known exactly what basket case of a club he’s got himself into
  • Who da fuck?
  • Sandgaard recently said finding a new manager could take weeks so is this going to be another temporary appointment? 
    I think every manager we appoint is a 'temporary' appointment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Jonniesta said:
    Ha ha!!! We've got Dean Holden!! In your face, Premier League Palarse!! Stick it up where the sun don't shine, performing-above-your-stature Millwall!! We're coming to get you, all the other London sides that we've fallen so far behind (yes, I'm talking about you, Brentford!)! Mark the date, boys, the date when the tide turned, the Holden express fired up its engines for the first time, HMS PTL was champagne-launched from its dry dock. Holden is the Baz McCullum of footy, with Jayden Stokesley leading the line. Wingers who learn revolutionary new skills, like crossing a ball! It doesn't matter if Inniss concedes 2 a game, he'll score 4! The days of mediocrity are gone! The sun rises for a new dawn, a red dawn, a new era of glory. You nay-sayers who cry 'cheap option!', 'Skintgaard!', 'he'll be gone in 6 months!'... fools, the lot of you! We have Holden, and soon he'll have a stand named after him. We hear the battle cry! 

How can anyone respond differently?
    So you’re saying he’s worth Holden onto…
  • This could be rubber stamping our journey into League 2 next season, oh well , new grounds and all that.
  • edited December 2022
    Will this now be the scene at the Valley?

https://youtu.be/Jdf5EXo6I68
  • Warnock is probably the only manager I could see sorting our players out.
    Big Mick.