Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    Hahaha quality
  • Options
    Gotta love our half of the draw compared to the bottom half
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Gotta love our half of the draw compared to the bottom half
    come on @Callumcafc do your work !!!
  • Options
    If Portugal had managed to knock out the US it would be crazy open.
  • Options
    That's an incredible result, some people were touting Germany as favourites after they won their first match.

Pretty incredible for Morocco to bounce back from a 6-0 loss and then win both games to go through.
  • Options
    cracking World Cup to date, no real hidings, teams looking competitive through the draw
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    cracking World Cup to date, no real hidings, teams looking competitive through the draw
    been a few, Norway putting 6 pass the Philippines, Australia winning 4 nil against Canada same for Brazil v Panama, Japan and Spain thrashing Zambia 5 nil each. Then Japan beating Spain 4 nil. England winning 6 - 1 against China and the dutch thrashing Vietnam 7 - 0. 
  • Options

France v Morocco

Colombia v Jamaica
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    England’s path to a final is:

Nigeria -> Colombia/Jamaica -> France/Australia -> ?

France are a great team and Australia would be difficult to beat in a semi final on home soil…

BUT that’s very kind given some of the really good teams in the other half of the draw including Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Japan and USA.
  • Options
    Quarter-Final prediction. Fully expecting all these to be wrong the way this tournament is going:

Spain - Netherlands
    Japan - USA
    Australia - France
    England - Colombia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    been a few, Norway putting 6 pass the Philippines, Australia winning 4 nil against Canada same for Brazil v Panama, Japan and Spain thrashing Zambia 5 nil each. Then Japan beating Spain 4 nil. England winning 6 - 1 against China and the dutch thrashing Vietnam 7 - 0. 
    But no double digit smashings like in France last time, and a lot of those were in dead rubbers at the end of the groups
  • Options
    Quarter-Final prediction. Fully expecting all these to be wrong the way this tournament is going:

Spain - Netherlands
    Japan - USA
    Australia - France
    England - Colombia
    Think that's how I see it, wondering if Morocco could give France a scare
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Spain - Netherlands
    Japan - USA
    Australia - France
    England - Colombia
    Think that's how I see it, wondering if Morocco could give France a scare
    renounce independence ?
  • Options

Spain - Netherlands
    Japan - USA
    Australia - France
    England - Colombia
    That's just the 8 favourites though and of course what most people will expect but i'm sure there will be at least 1 upset.
  • Options
    The teams I would want to avoid the most are The Netherlands, Spain, Japan and the United States. We avoid all of those until we get one in the final of course, should we make the final. France are up there and Australia could get a head of steam but playing one of those two in the semi is a good as you could hope for. 

I wouldn't want to hear it from the England camp but whilst I'm sure the games will have their challenges, Nigeria then Colunbia or Jamaica is a dream path to the semis for us.   It is the World cup so the semi final and Final are going to be against the best. It has definitely opened up for England though.
  • Options
    Lol, the Morocco coach is a bona fide Leuth lookalike, especially with my new glasses I got today
  • Options
    Might be better than me at managing a football team though. Might. 
  • Options

Is it normal in tournament football that teams from the same group go into the same half of the draw?

I'm sure that in the mens world cup, the group winner goes into one half of the draw and the runner up goes into the other half.

Seems strange that you could meet a team you already played in your group, again in the semi final. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Are they managed by Brian Gittins?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023

Is it normal in tournament football that teams from the same group go into the same half of the draw?

I'm sure that in the mens world cup, the group winner goes into one half of the draw and the runner up goes into the other half.

Seems strange that you could meet a team you already played in your group, again in the semi final. 
    It’s definitely more common to split them rather than be in the same half. Think the last time this happened in the men’s was in 2002 which was also hosted across two countries in Japan / South Korea.

All of the clubs in the top half played their group matches in NZ and all in the bottom half in Australia. All knockout games (besides two) in the top half are also in New Zealand. Spain or Japan could get all the way to the final without ever leaving NZ for example.

My guess is that it’s to help reduce travel distances for players and to be as environmentally friendly as possible in the process.

It also helped ensure that New Zealand, if they made good progress, would play all their games (final aside) in their home country.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Just watched Germany getting Knocked out. Hard to get my head round how a team wins 6-0 in their 1st match and gets KO.
    Or Morocco losing 6-0 and reaching the last 16.

Canada (Olympic winners) Germany ( two time WC winners) Brazil (South American winners) have all gone home.

Last 16 awaits.
  • Options
    Don't try to understand it, just enjoy it!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The better teams that have gone out have struggled against inferior but well organised teams that get bodies behind the ball. You would have put England in that category before the China game and it was true against Haiti but the new formation has made a massive difference. Watching England in pre- tournament games and the first couple of games in this tournament, I think they were making too many passes that did not progress their position. If you make a misplaced forward pass against most opponents you are going to get it back soon enough and it was nice to see us having more players higher and being generally more positive and less risk averse when attacking in our last game.
  • Options

Spain - Netherlands
    Japan - USA
    Australia - France
    England - Colombia
    That's just the 8 favourites though and of course what most people will expect but i'm sure there will be at least 1 upset.
    I predict Sweden will beat the USA
  • Options
    I'll go with

Spain v Netherlands
    Japan v Sweden
    France v Australia
    England v Jamaica
  • Options
    England’s path to a final is:

Nigeria -> Colombia/Jamaica -> France/Australia -> ?

France are a great team and Australia would be difficult to beat in a semi final on home soil…

BUT that’s very kind given some of the really good teams in the other half of the draw including Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Japan and USA.
    I don't think Australia are great, but they really seem to be growing into the tournament on home soil. I think France are inconsistent, but I wouldn't bet against Harve Renard at a tournament. If I'm England, neither of them scare me. 

Even without Walsh, the way England played the other night, they should fancy their chances to go deep into the tournament. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Of the matches I've seen I've been really impressed with Sweden and Norway as well as England.
  • Options
    Of the matches I've seen I've been really impressed with Sweden and Norway as well as England.
    Norway have been AWFUL when not playing the Philippines
  • Options
    (and England not much better until China)