Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Wow, the fact we've just been given the semi automatic offside just made it a whole joke

Did they need the Intern to whip up a few graphics?
  • Leuth said:
    Exact same as the France offside yesterday. Initially offside, then tried to play it after a defender did. Not a new phase for some reason
    Or not! Was the player who went for it initially, by about 3mm!
  • I think that they wanted the Ref to go over to see if he thought that the player who went down was "deemed" to be offside because it was still the first phase and not the second phase when he was brought down
  • Do you understand why the ref had to go to the screen if offsides are 100% accurate with the latest graphics  @Callumcafc ?
  • This is ridiculous from VAR, let Modric take the penalty and then decide on whether there is an offside.
    No, make sure it's a pen before Modric is standing over the ball.
    My point was more the fact that the team who have been fouled, are being forced to wait and round so the nerves build potentially creating more of a risk of missing - With a penalty the advantage should never go towards the Goalkeeper
  • Belgium without Lukaku is the equivalent of England without Kane. Even ignoring his goals there is no focal point.
  • Shame Canada are going out with a whimper
  • edited December 2022
    Do you understand why the ref had to go to the screen if offsides are 100% accurate with the latest graphics  @Callumcafc ?
    Yes, in situations where they need to confirm whether the player in an offside position was interfering with play or not. Such as France yesterday, or this one this morning.

The tech can only confirm the positioning of all the players on the pitch, it can't determine each player's intent or how their position impacts the overall flow of the action. That's why it's called semi-automated, not fully automated.

My confusion this morning stems from the use of the "old" system when Taylor was having a peek at the screen. I don't know if that was just for illustrative purposes or what? Because the semi-automated tech should've picked up both players who were offside within a few seconds.
  • Actually, I don't feel Belgium look too bad, this could get very interesting for the neutral with Morrocco looking to do have done the business so a straight fight, but Belgium needs to win
  • Axel Witsel is giving me Pratley flashbacks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great first 10 seconds then after that I've had Pancakes that weren't as flat as that 1st half !
  • I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!
    The worst rule is the very next one... Had Mexico | Poland tied on cards, then the team to advance would have been on the drawing of lots - How can something like that be decided on a game of chance, and off the Football pitch

Bet if that ever happens, it'll only happen the once going forward, as bet there will be a lot of complaints about it
    At Italia 90 in our group Ireland and Holland both had identical records and they had to draw lots to decide who was second and third. In those days the best third placed sides went through, but if it was today then one of them would've been out.

Ireland actually reached the quarters despite scoring only 2 goals and not winning a game (the one game they did win was a shootout after a 0-0).
    Cheers I did wonder if that had ever happened previously - Was more thinking given the way Media blow things out of proportion, combined with Social Media, that if it happened again (this time impacting a team that got eliminated), there would probably be some massive shitstorm of a reaction.
    Yes as far as i'm aware no side has ever been eliminated by the drawing of lots, and we've had 92 years of world cups, so it's probably really not worth worrying about too much.
    Technically they have - but not at a finals. Spain lost out in qualifying to Greece in 1954 by the drawing of lots.
  • bobmunro said:
    I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!
    The worst rule is the very next one... Had Mexico | Poland tied on cards, then the team to advance would have been on the drawing of lots - How can something like that be decided on a game of chance, and off the Football pitch

Bet if that ever happens, it'll only happen the once going forward, as bet there will be a lot of complaints about it
    At Italia 90 in our group Ireland and Holland both had identical records and they had to draw lots to decide who was second and third. In those days the best third placed sides went through, but if it was today then one of them would've been out.

Ireland actually reached the quarters despite scoring only 2 goals and not winning a game (the one game they did win was a shootout after a 0-0).
    Cheers I did wonder if that had ever happened previously - Was more thinking given the way Media blow things out of proportion, combined with Social Media, that if it happened again (this time impacting a team that got eliminated), there would probably be some massive shitstorm of a reaction.
    Yes as far as i'm aware no side has ever been eliminated by the drawing of lots, and we've had 92 years of world cups, so it's probably really not worth worrying about too much.
    Technically they have - but not at a finals. Spain lost out in qualifying to Greece in 1954 by the drawing of lots.
    Serves them right for not practising more 
  • IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:
    I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!

Corr you are old Bob  ;)
  • IdleHans said:
    bobmunro said:

Corr you are old Bob  ;)
    I can assure you I didn't witness it - I was still a twinkle in my dad's eye (not for long though!).
  • What in the living fuck are the BBC doing now 
  • Leuth said:
    What in the living fuck are the BBC doing now 
    I think the Welsh Narrator had a bit of a moment when she was thinking about that 2nd half vs USA
  • Leuth said:
    What in the living fuck are the BBC doing now 
    My Welsh hubby just said he’d swap all that nonsense for 9 points any day 🙄🤷‍♀️😂😂
  • Chuks Lukaku having an effect already 
  • Did the commentator just say that Thorgen Hazard is gonna get well over an hour of game time?
  • Sponsored links:

• WOW - Just like Aneke
  • Lukaku 😂😂😂😂😂
  • Leuth said:
    Chuks Lukaku having an effect already 

Jayden Lukaku 
  • CHUUUUUKS
  • Oh it was out, wouldn't have counted 

• Jadelu Stockaku on show this afternoon.
  • You don't get a lot for 99 million these days.

Lukaka has given Belgium a focus but two gilt edged chances have gone begging by the rusty striker.
  • That corner was another Hazardous waste.