Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!
    The worst rule is the very next one... Had Mexico | Poland tied on cards, then the team to advance would have been on the drawing of lots - How can something like that be decided on a game of chance, and off the Football pitch

Bet if that ever happens, it'll only happen the once going forward, as bet there will be a lot of complaints about it
    At Italia 90 in our group Ireland and Holland both had identical records and they had to draw lots to decide who was second and third. In those days the best third placed sides went through, but if it was today then one of them would've been out.

Ireland actually reached the quarters despite scoring only 2 goals and not winning a game (the one game they did win was a shootout after a 0-0).
  • edited December 2022
    I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!
    The worst rule is the very next one... Had Mexico | Poland tied on cards, then the team to advance would have been on the drawing of lots - How can something like that be decided on a game of chance, and off the Football pitch

Bet if that ever happens, it'll only happen the once going forward, as bet there will be a lot of complaints about it
    At Italia 90 in our group Ireland and Holland both had identical records and they had to draw lots to decide who was second and third. In those days the best third placed sides went through, but if it was today then one of them would've been out.

Ireland actually reached the quarters despite scoring only 2 goals and not winning a game (the one game they did win was a shootout after a 0-0).
    Cheers I did wonder if that had ever happened previously - Was more thinking given the way Media blow things out of proportion, combined with Social Media, that if it happened again (this time impacting a team that got eliminated), there would probably be some massive shitstorm of a reaction.
  • I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!

Cheers I did wonder if that had ever happened previously - Was more thinking given the way Media blow things out of proportion, combined with Social Media, that if it happened again (this time impacting a team that got eliminated), there would probably be some massive shitstorm of a reaction.
    Yes as far as i'm aware no side has ever been eliminated by the drawing of lots, and we've had 92 years of world cups, so it's probably really not worth worrying about too much.
  • Re Germany, Not sure if I’m being thick, but in the BBC preview it says:

But the four-time champions now know they need to beat Costa Rican on Thursday, and hope Japan don't beat Spain.”

Don’t Japan just need a draw to qualify as, even if Germany win, both teams would be on four points and Japan would finish above Germany on head to head?
  • It's goal difference first, then goals scored, then head to head. 

Yes as far as i'm aware no side has ever been eliminated by the drawing of lots, and we've had 92 years of world cups, so it's probably really not worth worrying about too much.
    It was close enough last night to make a change in the procedure. I would introduce a 'shots on target' count.
    I've said it before but I would introduce 'shots on target' or rather 'goalkeeper touches' to replace penalties.
  • Difficulty with shots on target is that it favours the big sides, smaller teams (or just those who defend well) are punished.

Although so does 'goals scored' I guess.
  • edited December 2022
    I’d have said shots on target too - but even that can be open to interpretation here and there enough for it to cause controversy. 

Whilst the FIFA rankings is generally considered to be a pretty weird system, at least it’s some sort of formalised table that could be leveraged.

Though if there was a scenario where England went out due to any of the above then I think the country might implode.
  • edited December 2022
    I know it didn't come to it, but how on this earth are we getting into a situation where a team can go out based on the number of cards. I know it happened before, but most ridiculous rule ever!

it literally happened in the last world cup where Japan progressed at expense of Senegal due to yellow cards received

edit - sorry you said re lots not yellow cards
  • Shots on target would encourage teams to just hit lots of speculative "backpass" style shots
  • Sponsored links:

• It's goal difference first, then goals scored, then head to head. 
    Ah, sorry - thought head to head came first!
  • Apparently there is a rift in the Belgian camp... Got a feeling they're heading home today
  • Shots on target would encourage teams to just hit lots of speculative "backpass" style shots
    If it looks like it could go down to shots on target, the last 10+ minutes of the games could become farcical 
  • Looking forward to the vets game between Belgium v Crotia. The most 30+ in this match than any other game at this WC.

Unless Belgium can find some energy to compete, they are heading home. 
    Croatia are no spring chickens but are a together team so I expect them to edge it.
  • That group is crazy. Croatia win, they finish top, Croatia draw and Morocco beat Canada (which is likely), Croatia finish second in the group and get Spain in next round, If belgium win, croatia get knocked out completely on goal difference unless Morroco lose

• CAFCsayer said:
    That group is crazy. Croatia win, they finish top, Croatia draw and Morocco beat Canada (which is likely), Croatia finish second in the group and get Spain in next round, If belgium win, croatia get knocked out completely on goal difference unless Morroco lose

I thought yesterdays was a tad more crazy with all 4 teams potentially going out
  • CAFCsayer said:
    That group is crazy. Croatia win, they finish top, Croatia draw and Morocco beat Canada (which is likely), Croatia finish second in the group and get Spain in next round, If belgium win, croatia get knocked out completely on goal difference unless Morroco lose

I thought yesterdays was a tad more crazy with all 4 teams potentially going out

Meant moreso that the result of this match has 3 different permutations on how the whole group plays out
  • edited December 2022
    Great effort by Perisic after 10 second but he is no Jim Melrose !
  • Canada 0-1 Morocco... Bad news for Belgium
  • edited December 2022
    Fantastic run and pass by KDB but Mertens finds row Z.
  • Sponsored links:

• Penalty to Croatia... Yeaaa bye Belgium, dont look scoring when they do attack
  • Spot the English referee by the massive sweat stain on his shirt already!
  • Really confusing bit of VAR analysis there. 
  • This is ridiculous from VAR, let Modric take the penalty and then decide on whether there is an offside.
  • That was a total dive anyway tbh
  • Interesting that VAR seemed to be using the traditional drawn lines in that situation? Is the semi-automated tech not available?
  • VAR trying to ruin this World Cup.
  • Interesting that VAR seemed to be using the traditional drawn lines in that situation? Is the semi-automated tech not available?
    VAR seems to get the sweats over making a decision when a big side are involved
  • Exact same as the France offside yesterday. Initially offside, then tried to play it after a defender did. Not a new phase for some reason
  • This is ridiculous from VAR, let Modric take the penalty and then decide on whether there is an offside.
    No, make sure it's a pen before Modric is standing over the ball.