Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Eden Hazard's decline since leaving Chelsea is baffling
    Whose decline has been worse... Eden Hazard, or Dele Alli...

Depends on the starting and finishing points. One did it for well over a decade and won 17 trophies and the other was a two season wonder in the PL, won nothing and really gave up playing to his potential at the age of 24. 
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Breaking news CL members getting upset with Commentators. I have no problem at all with any of the commentators. It a cult on here with Lord Romford turning into Dreyfus from pink Panther with this obsession about Clive T on ITV.

I feel like Casanova at an orgy and can't say I'm always listening to every word. I have had practice at not listening after 30 years of marriage 🗣️
    You gonna ignore that they've been naming the wrong Moroccan keeper for 20 minutes? 

Would call it racist but would end up shutting the thread down. 
    Why would you call it racist if he never read the teamsheet properly?
    A different goalkeeper sung the anthem than walked out on the pitch for the game. 

Surely as the commentator, there at the game, you should be able to distinguish two very different looking goalkeepers? 
    Just seen it. So one goalkeeper was on the teamsheet and came out onto the pitch and sang the national anthem, then they swapped him just before the game kicked off but clearly nobody told the commentator.

With the keepers being fixed at one end of the ground the scope for seeing their names and numbers is greatly reduced compared to most outfield players, so I wouldn't hang out to dry a commentator for not knowing every player in every squad by sight at a distance of 50 yards plus.

Not great for the production team as a whole. Cant see how that could remotely be considered racist though. 

Care to enlighten us?
     I've been in a ground at the half-way line and to be honest you can quite easily see every player on the pitch and their number so don't think that would be a particularly good excuse. 

I won't go into the specifics of the 'cross-race effect' but the basics is if Courtois comes off for Mignolet, commentators spot it within 30 seconds. 

I'm not calling the commentator himself racist. Just an unfortunate error that would have been avoided if there were more knowledge about football from other continents. It is the world cup after all. 

Wouldn't expect any less from someone with Marcus Bent as his avatar.
    Bravo!
  • This group is now looking like its shaping up well. I would love to see Canada get a result today as that will make the last games exciting. Croatia obviously should win comfortably but as previous games have shown you never know
  • Luca Modric is such an unusual looking player.

If you showed a picture of him to someone who didn’t know, there’s no way on earth they’d say he was a footballer.

He’s got the little scraggy urchin look. Like he’s had a bit of a rough life, and might dress in an old shellsuit while hanging around a wetherspoons at 10 in the morning. He looks like he signs on while doing occasional cash in hand work.

Makes me laugh. The fact that he’s an absolutely brilliant footballer is amazing to me!
  • I've always thought Modric looks like a rodent/Gail Tyldesley. 
  • Well thats how you fuck up a Group that is already an amazing mess
  • Canada's first ever goal at a World Cup - Fully deserved after their Belgium result
  • Well done, Morocco.

What a cracking goal by Canada, scored by Bayern's left-back playing up front if I understood what the commentator just said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Do wonder if the Croatian Goalkeeper could have done better

Or am I being harsh, and the header was just too good
  • edited November 2022
    Wow, Wow, Alfonso Davies who is a fantastic attacking full back for Bayern Munich and plays further forward for Canada has redemption after missing the penalty with that wonderful headed guy.

This should be interesting now.
  • What looked like a dull group has suddenly turned into a very interesting one.

Two European sides, full of "legends", many on the way down, versus two hungry up and coming sides.
  • I had a worry as if you watch from the start of the move the first Canadian player looked marginally offside about a metre from the half way line. Fortunately not picked up.
  • Well done, Morocco.

What a cracking goal by Canada, scored by Bayern's left-back playing up front if I understood what the commentator just said.
    Mean while our defenders look like they’ve never seen a football before if you ask them to play left of centre instead of right of centre. 

Loved that goal. One of my favourite sights in football is a firm, arching cross that is met by an on rushing player leaping higher than everyone around them and thumping a header home. It’s just so aesthetically pleasing.  
  • So far this must be the hardest WC to win an accumulator 😉
  • Big for Davies as well. He’s all over adverts and billboards here at the moment - the real star man of the team. I don’t doubt it would even weighed heavy on him if the abiding memory of him at this tournament was his penalty miss vs Belgium. 
  • AndyG said:
    So far this must be the hardest WC to win an accumulator 😉
    You should see Ivan Toney's winnings so far ;)
  • Does anyone else see a Young One's era Rik Mayall when they glimpse Canada's manager?
  • early goals always make for a better game
  • Sponsored links:

• Croatia SERIOULY rattled
  • Does anyone else see a Young One's era Rik Mayall when they glimpse Canada's manager?

• good to see that both N American countries can now hold their own with almost any other nation .. danger is they will come to dominate world football  :*
  • these very late offside flags !!!
  • Canada got away with one there
  • very good game this
  • edited November 2022
    I still fancy Croatia to score a couple of goals so Canada need more goals.
  • Canada need another goal... Croatia are taking control
  • edited November 2022
    Damn... Its been coming

First time this World Cup where Canada have really looked weak
  • I still fancy Croatia to score a couple of goals do Canada need more goals.
    Croatia have got over their wobbles .. and have now equalised