Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• That first touch is sublime
  • Croatia looking like the team which reached the final 4 years ago
  • No substitute for sheer class. That could have been Albie Morgan 
  • edited November 2022
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I mean, Leicester won the league pkaying like that. Klopp's sides play a bit like that. But you're not going to get that in League One 
    I would say we played somewhat like that under Bowyer. I mean, we’re trying to play like Man City or Spain in League One. Personally, if you’re hell bent on playing “attacking football” in League One, I think you’ve got more chance of playing a more direct high tempo running game than trying to slowly pass the ball into net threading through massed ranks defences. 
    Who does play like that in League One? Fast players don't stick around. Easier to coach decent players around a technical game than turn them into some sort of Kloppian heavy-metal machine when they don't have the legs but do at least have some skill. MK Dons last season showed what a well-implemented possession game can do, and came within an ace of automatic promotion. The alternative appears to be solid, defence-based Rotherhamming
    I’d take a reincarnation of John Beck’s Cambridge if it wins matches and get us out of this shit hole division. MK Dons were the outlier last season, and they fell short, and it’s not especially working for them this season. Karl Robinson has always tried to play that way and has one successful promotion out of about 15 tries. There are plenty of fast, energetic players in league one. But, yes, I’ve always been of the opinion that a pragmatic, defensively solid team is the best way out of this division, especially if you’re looking to do it without spending heavily. But if we must try to attack our way to promotion then I’d rather watch us struggle to make something like this work than what I’m currently being bored to death by. 

Valiant effort from Canada again today but the class is telling and Canada are probably going to get a bit of a hiding as they tire. They missed their big opportunity other day vs Belgium who really were there for the taking, but for a lot of wasteful finishing by Canada. 
  • Croatia have been great. Maybe a tournament too soon for this Canada team, but it they continue to develop on this trajectory they should be a force in 2026 (especially with home advantage). 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I mean, Leicester won the league pkaying like that. Klopp's sides play a bit like that. But you're not going to get that in League One 
    I would say we played somewhat like that under Bowyer. I mean, we’re trying to play like Man City or Spain in League One. Personally, if you’re hell bent on playing “attacking football” in League One, I think you’ve got more chance of playing a more direct high tempo running game than trying to slowly pass the ball into net threading through massed ranks defences. 
    Who does play like that in League One? Fast players don't stick around. Easier to coach decent players around a technical game than turn them into some sort of Kloppian heavy-metal machine when they don't have the legs but do at least have some skill. MK Dons last season showed what a well-implemented possession game can do, and came within an ace of automatic promotion. The alternative appears to be solid, defence-based Rotherhamming
    I’d take a reincarnation of John Beck’s Cambridge if it wins matches and get us out of this shit hole division. MK Dons were the outlier last season, and they fell short, and it’s not especially working for them this season. Karl Robinson has always tried to play that way and has one successful promotion out of about 15 tries. There are plenty of fast, energetic players in league one. But, yes, I’ve always been of the opinion that a pragmatic, defensively solid team is the best way out of this division, especially if you’re looking to do it without spending heavily. But if we must try to attack our way to promotion then I’d rather watch us struggle to make something like this work than what I’m currently being bored to death by. 

Valiant effort from Canada again today but the class is telling and Canada are probably going to get a bit of a hiding as they tire. They missed their big opportunity other day vs Belgium who really were there for the taking, but for a lot of wasteful finishing by Canada. 
    MK Dons' team was ripped apart last transfer window. 

We've had one transfer window under Garner. The sort of transformation to a successful passing side doesn't happen overnight. Especially when the owner doesn't want to spend. But at least all our youth teams are coached to the same specification, so we will have players coming through from within who understand how it works. Do you really want us to revert to a style that fits Lapslie and Gilbey? Headless chicken football that leaves your shape ruined if you lose the ball (which they will)? 
  • Croatia looking like the team which reached the final 4 years ago

Agree, and not the team at the last Euro's.
  • who fancies Germany to beat Spain ?
  • Been a good game this, Croatia have looked decent enough but let's not get carried away because a) it's Canada and b) they were awful in their first game.
    I don’t, but also “write off the Germans at your peril” and all that.
  • Sponsored links:

Going 0-0
  • edited November 2022
    who fancies Germany to beat Spain ?

Spain have a lot of young players so wouldn't be surprised if Germany won;
    Not that you can't win with Youngsters !
  • se9addick said:
    who fancies Germany to beat Spain ?
    I don’t, but also “write off the Germans at your peril” and all that.
    only because I had a wee cash dabble on the Chermans to win the thing, I fancy them to win tonight .. I live in hope, NOT really expectation
  • That is tough on Canada. Croatia clearly a cut above, but it’s not been 4-1 match. 
  • Spain are a bit of a bogey team for Germany, I believe. 
  • That is tough on Canada. Croatia clearly a cut above, but it’s not been 4-1 match. 
    that will really hurt, but you gotta hand it to the ruthless Croats
  • Feel a bit sorry for Canada there. They put in a decent shift to be fair
  • right .. back to Ice Hockey
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

MK Dons' team was ripped apart last transfer window. 

We've had one transfer window under Garner. The sort of transformation to a successful passing side doesn't happen overnight. Especially when the owner doesn't want to spend. But at least all our youth teams are coached to the same specification, so we will have players coming through from within who understand how it works. Do you really want us to revert to a style that fits Lapslie and Gilbey? Headless chicken football that leaves your shape ruined if you lose the ball (which they will)? 
    So if we’re going to lose any good players as soon as we get them, but we need multiple transfer windows to build the style of play Garner is wedded to, how are we ever going to have enough good players at the same time to make it work?
  • Hijack alert .. hijack alert
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Shame to lose Canada already. They were one of the fun underdogs to watch. Pleased they’ll be back for 2026.
  • Hard hitting pre match analysis going on in the US studio. Asking Eni Aluko about Qatari Nando’s and lamenting the lack of Peri Peri sauce.
  • Wtf are Gilbey and Lapslie being mentioned on this thread for? ???
  • edited November 2022
    Wtf are Gilbey and Lapslie being mentioned on this thread for? ???
    It’s a classic case of  PWR 😁.

Canada have spent so much time attacking and entertaining they have been hit hard by a Croatia team that are looking much sharper than the Euro's and closer to their final appearance at the last WC.

I hope Canada can built on this WC and still have a real go in their last match against Croatia.

Just like the USA, Canada's Woman team have had more success than the men's side.
    With Football being I believe the 4th most popular sport.
    The world now know that Canada have a men's team on a journey to improve.
  • edited November 2022
    Hard hitting pre match analysis going on in the US studio. Asking Eni Aluko about Qatari Nando’s and lamenting the lack of Peri Peri sauce.

It's ITV and product placement happens !

@Callumcafc is this WC getting more publicity and numbers than other WC's in the USA 
  • Cracking up at Jurgen in the studio. Lineker asking him about his comments to Iran re: their benches behaviour.

He starts joking that maybe Iran are thinking of him as the USA coach still. Lineker blatantly thinking 'please stop now Jurg' ....lol
  • edited November 2022
    Hard hitting pre match analysis going on in the US studio. Asking Eni Aluko about Qatari Nando’s and lamenting the lack of Peri Peri sauce.

It's ITV and product placement happens !

@Callumcafc is this WC getting more publicity and numbers than other WC's ?

It's definitely growing and getting more/better coverage - a full blown locally based studio with rotating cast of panelists, most of the big matches are on free-to-air channels.
    15.3 million watched the 0-0 draw the other night which is the highest recorded total for a men's football match in this country.
    Previous record stood for 28 years: 14.5 million watched the 1994 final.
  • What a great game this would have been if Japan had won earlier. 

• edited November 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    What a great game this would have been if Japan had won earlier.
    Yes, would've been brilliant to watch had Germany needed a win. Can definitely see this petering out into a 0-0 or 1-1 draw, which would massively suit both you'd think.