Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Breaking news CL members getting upset with Commentators. I have no problem at all with any of the commentators. It a cult on here with Lord Romford turning into Dreyfus from pink Panther with this obsession about Clive T on ITV.

I feel like Casanova at an orgy and can't say I'm always listening to every word. I have had practice at not listening after 30 years of marriage 🗣️
    You gonna ignore that they've been naming the wrong Moroccan keeper for 20 minutes? 

Would call it racist but would end up shutting the thread down. 
    Why would you call it racist if he never read the teamsheet properly?
    A different goalkeeper sung the anthem than walked out on the pitch for the game. 

Surely as the commentator, there at the game, you should be able to distinguish two very different looking goalkeepers? 
    Just seen it. So one goalkeeper was on the teamsheet and came out onto the pitch and sang the national anthem, then they swapped him just before the game kicked off but clearly nobody told the commentator.

With the keepers being fixed at one end of the ground the scope for seeing their names and numbers is greatly reduced compared to most outfield players, so I wouldn't hang out to dry a commentator for not knowing every player in every squad by sight at a distance of 50 yards plus.

Not great for the production team as a whole. Cant see how that could remotely be considered racist though. 

Care to enlighten us?
  • I'm fine with it just being unprofessional as well. 

As long as you admit that if Pope replaced Pickford in goal, they'd be able to tell within 30 seconds. 
    I'm sure an ITV or BBC commentator would be able to tell, yes.

But "as well" as what?
  • Would love to know how that could be construed as racist.

And the comparison with Pickford and Pope, both household names in the UK and instantly recognisable, to the two Moroccan shoppers. 

Watching Ebbsfleet vrs Fleetwood and the commentators corrected himself a couple of times, getting mixed up with players. Could've been black players or could've been white players, it's not in my lexicon to notice things like that tbh
  • Martinez struggling with a lousy striker on the pitch, and a much better one on the bench who can only play a few minutes...
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Breaking news CL members getting upset with Commentators. I have no problem at all with any of the commentators. It a cult on here with Lord Romford turning into Dreyfus from pink Panther with this obsession about Clive T on ITV.

I feel like Casanova at an orgy and can't say I'm always listening to every word. I have had practice at not listening after 30 years of marriage 🗣️
    You gonna ignore that they've been naming the wrong Moroccan keeper for 20 minutes? 

A different goalkeeper sung the anthem than walked out on the pitch for the game. 

Surely as the commentator, there at the game, you should be able to distinguish two very different looking goalkeepers? 
    Just seen it. So one goalkeeper was on the teamsheet and came out onto the pitch and sang the national anthem, then they swapped him just before the game kicked off but clearly nobody told the commentator.

With the keepers being fixed at one end of the ground the scope for seeing their names and numbers is greatly reduced compared to most outfield players, so I wouldn't hang out to dry a commentator for not knowing every player in every squad by sight at a distance of 50 yards plus.

Not great for the production team as a whole. Cant see how that could remotely be considered racist though. 

Care to enlighten us?
     I've been in a ground at the half-way line and to be honest you can quite easily see every player on the pitch and their number so don't think that would be a particularly good excuse. 

I won't go into the specifics of the 'cross-race effect' but the basics is if Courtois comes off for Mignolet, commentators spot it within 30 seconds. 

I'm not calling the commentator himself racist. Just an unfortunate error that would have been avoided if there were more knowledge about football from other continents. It is the world cup after all. 
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Care to enlighten us?
     I've been in a ground at the half-way line and to be honest you can quite easily see every player on the pitch and their number so don't think that would be a particularly good excuse. 

I won't go into the specifics of the 'cross-race effect' but the basics is if Courtois comes off for Mignolet, commentators spot it within 30 seconds. 

I'm not calling the commentator himself racist. Just an unfortunate error that would have been avoided if there were more knowledge about football from other continents. It is the world cup after all. 
    But you said you would call it rascist but didn’t want the thread shut down. Now you say the commentator isn’t racist. So who is rascist?
  • edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Care to enlighten us?

You got there in the end.
    The commentator doesn't know the 2 goal keepers as he does Premier League players.
    Nothing to do with racism as you yourself said he would have recognised the Belgian players. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Would love to know how that could be construed as racist.

And the comparison with Pickford and Pope, both household names in the UK and instantly recognisable, to the two Moroccan shoppers. 

Watching Ebbsfleet vrs Fleetwood and the commentators corrected himself a couple of times, getting mixed up with players. Could've been black players or could've been white players, it's not in my lexicon to notice things like that tbh
    Your 'Moroccan shopper' is the starting goalkeeper for Sevilla. So should really be known by a semi-researched commentator. 
  • Off_it said:

Unprofessionalism then...
    Na racist, much more dramatic…
    Homophobic too.
  • Off_it said:

Apparently the first keeper had the better voice and the keeper who started the game had the better hands. We should do the same as Nick Pope was a Choir boy in Soham and Pickford has a shite voice.

You do realize there are 812 players at this WC and this commentator does one live match a day plus one recorded match a day.

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    Commentator on the England game got Kane mixed up with Mount at one point. The racist prick.
  • Gribbo said:
    Would love to know how that could be construed as racist.

Your 'Moroccan shopper' is the starting goalkeeper for Sevilla. So should really be known by a semi-researched commentator. 
    Meant "stopper" ffs
  • Eden Hazard's decline since leaving Chelsea is baffling
  • Off_it said:
    Commentator on the England game got Kane mixed up with Mount at one point. The racist prick.
    For 37 minutes? 

Should be sacked no?
    He seems to have completely lost motivation.

At Chelsea you could argue he was the 3rd best in the world at the time. Unbelievable player.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Eden Hazard's decline since leaving Chelsea is baffling

At Chelsea you could argue he was the 3rd best in the world at the time. Unbelievable player.
    Wasn't the story that he turned up to Madrid overweight and the manager at the time basically binned him off straight away?
  • Give it a rest
    He is now only in the team because of who his brother is...
  • Laddick01 said:

Wasn't the story that he turned up to Madrid overweight and the manager at the time basically binned him off straight away?
    It says something that Belgium sub him off when looking for a goal, and it's a complete non story
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:

Clear racist against waffles 🧇 
  • Clever but poor by Belgium.

Although he's not old (32 in January) he's got a lot of miles on the clock, having started at the age of 16 and now made 618 appearances for club and country. And probably been kicked in every one of them. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo are freaks in that respect and their desire to carry on relentlessly but he might just have lost a bit of that. Who could forget that season, after all, at Chelsea, when he downed tools under Mourinho when he wasn't happy?
  • Belgium have been crap this tournament, another version of England from Euro 2016.

Martinez has been even more loyal to his team, than Southgate has, when you consider the season Trossard is having yet cant get ahead of a Batshuayi who was absolute shite in England
  • This World Cup feels very open so far.
  • A tournament too far for the aging Belgians?
  • No 2 in the World, you're having a laugh!
  • Very clever set piece tactics from the Moroccans. Wide free kicks taken directly at the keeper and get a run across the front of him to put him off.

It’s worked for them twice, if only the first one hadn’t been marginally offside.
  • A tournament too far for the aging Belgians?
    Their center back pairing is like England picking Cahill and Jajielka.

Although he's not old (32 in January) he's got a lot of miles on the clock, having started at the age of 16 and now made 618 appearances for club and country. And probably been kicked in every one of them. The likes of Messi and Ronaldo are freaks in that respect and their desire to carry on relentlessly but he might just have lost a bit of that. Who could forget that season, after all, at Chelsea, when he downed tools under Mourinho when he wasn't happy?
    He left Chelsea in 2019, having scored 21 goals that season. Since then he's scored 7 for Madrid, and they've dried up for Belgium also, that's an incredibly sudden downturn