Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited December 2022
    CAFCsayer said:
    Think France still have a gear to go up. Do a job on Messi, which I think France have the calibre of players to do, and they win.

We said that about Mbappé, which we did, and still lost

Haven't read all the comments on here but the thing about great attacking players are it's nearly impossible to keep them quiet for the 100 minutes or so of matches.
    Once the foul on Saka wasn't given the part Mbappé played was immense, Rice who had a strong game missed his tackle on Mbappé and the speed and strength kicked in and he was away and 12 seconds later France scored from the transition. 

The same against Morroco, whether Mbappé gets the assists or not it was his shots and power on the ball that led to both goals.

Game changers are very rare at the top level: Mbappé and Messi are supreme in this art.

You never win WC without the rub of the green or decisions going your way. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Think France still have a gear to go up. Do a job on Messi, which I think France have the calibre of players to do, and they win.

France have Giroud, Griezmann, Dembele etc. 

I don’t think Argentina have that quality.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Giroud is dependent on service. Not sure that Alvarez is so reliant as he is capable of creating something out of nothing as evidenced by the fact that three of his four goals owe much to his own skill and anticipation. 

In fact, Alvarez didn't come on 'til Argentina were losing against Saudi Arabia and also entered the field with the score at 0-0 against Mexico (Argentina scored within a minute and won 2-0). In this WC Giroud has a shot accuracy of 40% whereas Alvarez's is 88%. 

For those reasons, I wouldn't have Giroud over Alvarez but agree that the likes of Griezmann and Dembele offer France more threats from different areas overall. 
  • Polish referee Syzmon Marciniak has been confirmed for Sunday's final.

Qatari referee has been appointed for the 3rd place play-off.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Man for man they don't but they still have Messi (who is like 2 players), Alvarez, Fernandez.

They've also changed their lineup every game, which to me is quite unusual as a side progresses through a tournament so Deschamps will be kept guessing.
  • The 3rd/4th place playpff is a crap idea isn't it?

Why do they bother?
  • I assume both itv and bbc will be showing the game.

Any time messi gets the ball Lineker and ferdinand will be drooling like hungry dogs.

Messi might make a simple pass to alveraz within their own half as they try to build a counter attack

It will be described as the most elegant beautiful pass you could possibly imagine which makes it very clear messi is better than Ronaldo and maradonna put together!

GOAT - no question 

Why do they bother?
    Between 70 and 74 they had a third place game in the FA Cup.

Why do they bother?
    To determine who finishes 3rd. They’ve had it for about 80 years. It’s nothing new.
  • Sponsored links:

• A 32 team club world cup in 2025 🤯

A 4 team confederation competition as well, who is running FIFA the ICC? 
  • edited December 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    The 3rd/4th place playpff is a crap idea isn't it?

Why do they bother?
    To determine who finishes 3rd. They’ve had it for about 80 years. It’s nothing new.
    Indeed, they've had about 80 years to realise no one cares and drop it.
  • JaShea99 said:

Why do they bother?
    I’m sure Croatia and Morocco care. But yeah, it doesn’t affect us in any way so “no one cares”.
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Why do they bother?
    I’m sure Croatia and Morocco care. But yeah, it doesn’t affect us in any way so “no one cares”.
    I doubt they do, personally.  I certainly didn't care in 2018 and couldn't remember the score (beyond knowing we lost) until I just looked it up.

Even the players probably just want to get home after the disappointment of losing the semi final and time away from their families.

Do you really sit at the end of the Euros thinking "yes, good final, but I really wish I knew who came third"?!
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Why do they bother?
    I doubt they do, personally.  I certainly didn't care in 2018 and couldn't remember the score (beyond knowing we lost) until I just looked it up.

Even the players probably just want to get home after the disappointment of losing the semi final and time away from their families.

Do you really sit at the end of the Euros thinking "yes, good final, but I really wish I knew who came third"?!
    Especially as this World Cup is in the middle of the season for the players, who have clubs to return to. 
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:

Why do they bother?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63926145

Imagine if you're a favourite like England or Belgium, the thought of having to play again must be rubbish, especially having gotten so close to the Final - For someone like Morocco, they probably didnt expect to get out of the Group Stages, people talked about it being Modric's last chance to win the World Cup... Did he really stand a chance, or is 3rd a great achievement for a Nation the size of Croatia, especially when it confirms that four years ago was no fluke.
  • edited December 2022
    I think Morocco will be well up for it tomorrow but are carrying a few injuries. Wouldn’t be shocked if Croatia don’t turn up the some of the reasons laid out above.
  • I think you'll probably see a few changes to each side. Players who were pushing themselves despite carrying knocks and playing through injury to get to a final, probably now won't be so bothered when they know the game is meaningless and they'll be back at their clubs in a few days.
  • Morocco will definitely be more up for this than Croatia 
  • If morroco win then they've officially gone further in a world Cup in comparison to England throughout the last 56 years.

We've never reached 3rd 
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope they do their country proud and 
     keep building themselves up from here.

They made the 2022 world Cup a tad more special 
  • Said it before, I don’t care for the politics surrounding it all, but this has been a cracking World Cup. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Said it before, I don’t care for the politics surrounding it all, but this has been a cracking World Cup. 
    Just need a 4-3 or something in the final now.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Said it before, I don’t care for the politics surrounding it all, but this has been a cracking World Cup. 
    I think it's been okay, but give it a few months how many memorable moments have there really been? 
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think it's been okay, but give it a few months how many memorable moments have there really been? 
    Loads?

Saudi Arabia beating Argentina.
    Japan putting Germany out.
    Neymar scoring a great goal to apparently win a game and them then losing it.
    Netherlands' free kick.
    Messi turning Gvardiol inside out in a Semi Final to set up a goal.
    And sadly Harry Kane saying that penalty. 
    Iran beating Wales  ;)
  • Much prefer a summer World Cup. The staging in Qatar has been pretty ludicrous but ultimately money is what counts.

FIFA is a dreadful organisation.
  • Dave2l said:
    If morroco win then they've officially gone further in a world Cup in comparison to England throughout the last 56 years.

We've never reached 3rd 
    And it means absolutely nothing.

I'd bet that a lot of people would have to google what happened in our third place matches in 1990 and 2018.
  • Dave2l said:
    If morroco win then they've officially gone further in a world Cup in comparison to England throughout the last 56 years.

We've never reached 3rd 
    And it means absolutely nothing.

I'd bet that a lot of people would have to google what happened in our third place matches in 1990 and 2018.

I have a total blank on the 3rd play off match in 2018 but I have a vision of Peter Shilton making a mistake with his feet and England losing to Italy in 1990 ?

A sign of old age when you remember 1990 3rd match game rather than 2018 !

• What a great goal.