Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• se9addick said:
    Croatia fall at the last step .. and I fancied them to beat the Argies  :'(
    Second last step surely?
    yep ..  know what you mean .. in my mind the last step BEFORE the final
  • Dave2l said:
    Is Messi better with Argentina now that he left Barcelona...it does seem like it

Perhaps feels like he can fully prioritise the national side 
    Maybe it's because it's a winter World Cup. 
  • City paid £14.1m for Alvarez. There have been worst buys in the Premier League. 
    Ironically - the two most successful EPL clubs of recent years have spent some of the wisest money going.

Compare likes or Alvarez, Haaland, Walker, Cancelo, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mane, Salah to some of the guff the mid table have spent.
    That's what paying for the best recruitment analysts in the business gets you! 

None as good as Sandgaard Jr and his spreadsheets though of course.
  • Messi is having his best every year for Argentina. Two factors are definitely helping the wee man: PSG, where he has his game time managed and the WC being in November/December where he is looking as fresh as a daisy.

There was a reason I said Argentina would finish top of their group with 6 points before they got back to their Dressing room after the defeat to Saudi Arabia. Didn't go as far as Oohaah and say they would win the WC as I felt France could emulate Brazil in 58 & 62 if they could get pass a strong England team in Q-Final. (😢☹️ 🤦🏻‍♂️)

I Feel Morocco who have put Africa on the World map of football at last will find their reserve defenders struggle tonight. I went ape when they beat Portugal and Spain.

IF it's the two favourites from the S-final
    Argentina v France will be a 50/50 match between two of the elite teams from World cup history.
  • Messi is having his best every year for Argentina. Two factors are definitely helping the wee man: PSG, where he has his game time managed and the WC being in November/December where he is looking as fresh as a daisy.

There was a reason I said Argentina would finish top of their group with 6 points before they got back to their Dressing room after the defeat to Saudi Arabia. Didn't go as far as Oohaah and say they would win the WC as I felt France could emulate Brazil in 58 & 62 if they could get pass a strong England team in Q-Final. (😢☹️ 🤦🏻‍♂️)

I Feel Morocco who have put Africa on the World map of football at last will find their reserve defenders struggle tonight. I went ape when they beat Portugal and Spain.

IF it's the two favourites from the S-final
    Argentina v France will be a 50/50 match between two of the elite teams from World cup history.
    After they came back from the Saudi defeat to qualify from the group, it came as no surprise to me that Argentina have made it all the way, as they were starting the play reasonably well AND were battle hardened, having effectively been in knockout match territory already.

It's similar to the recent T20 Cricket WC where both England and Pakistan started the tournament badly, both teams quickly got into the situation where they had to win every game to progress.

Combine that with a fresh Messi and a manager prepared to build a team around him, with others doing Messi's running, and it's a good mix. The massive support in the stadiums helps too!
  • edited December 2022
    like or loath, Messi was absolutely brilliant last night 
  • Messi will set another record on Sunday. Most appearances ever by a player at the world cup.

It'll be his 26th game, breaking the record long held by Lothar Matthaus.

Surprised Ronaldo doesn't hold that title.

The difference probably depends on getting knocked out early or late 
  • like or loath, Messi was absolutely brilliant last night 
    Sensational, can't help but enjoy watching him play. Absolute chalk and cheese from Jack Payne 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_players_who_have_appeared_in_multiple_FIFA_World_Cups#:~:text=Lothar Matthäus is the player,field in five different tournaments.

An awful lot of Germans on this list, highlighting their consistent success until recently. Peter Shilton is the highest English player with 17 WC appearances. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_at_the_FIFA_World_Cup 
  • Went to the same game as Karim went to at Wembley, the energy of the amazing Argie support and the crispness of their play , where they tore Italy a new one , was a sight to behold . I knew then they'd be World Champions , although in all honesty I don't think they've reached the level they got to at Wembley in this tournament ... 

• I don't really like Argentina, but because of Messi i would be fairly happy with them to win it! Sounds odd but i do think he deserves it, all this argument about how great he is. It would shut up those saying he hadn't won the big one, football is a team game so ultimately you are only as good as your team mates. 

I don't really get involved with Messi v Ronaldo debate, although in my eyes its clear, but appreciate they are both the players of our time and it would be sad when any of them / both retire. A bit like Ronnie in snooker, when he retires the game will be worse off. 

Although i say that, i would equally be happy for Morocco, anyone but France yeah?! 
  • Dave2l said:
    Messi will set another record on Sunday. Most appearances ever by a player at the world cup.

It'll be his 26th game, breaking the record long held by Lothar Matthaus.

Surprised Ronaldo doesn't hold that title.

The difference probably depends on getting knocked out early or late 
    Exactly, this will be Messi's 2nd final so that's 14 games from just 2 of the 5 world cups he's played at.

Ronaldo's record in the knockout rounds with Portugal is awful. He never scored a goal and in 3 of the 5 world cups he played at they didn't get beyond the last 16.

I wonder if emotionally playing for PSG is different too, as he cares less about them than Barca.

Before that he was a Barca player, they were his priority. PSG by contrast is just a job, and the national side is his priority?
  • Morocco are the first semi final debutant since Spain in 2010. We all know who won it that year…
  • Love a morocco win, but I think Argentina Vs France would be better for sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• That didn’t take long 
  • In my dreams, Hernandez will rip off his mask to reveal that it was England and Luke Shaw who just scored
  • edited December 2022
    That didn't take long - Shocking defending from the man on the line
  • Love a morocco win, but I think Argentina Vs France would be better for sunday
    Same here. I must one of the very few on here who actually like France and the French. Visit there often and always have a great time.
  • Another bent ref then
  • Has to be a more open game after the early goal...
  • Morocco nervous at the back
  • Morocco running out of players. Lost one key CB before the start, now another key player has had to be replaced
  • The whistling is somewhat annoying.