Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• The French goal has lived a charmed life this tournament. Even Poland missed a couple of huge chances.
  • The 2-0 scoreline is very misleading, as Morocco have had so many chances and half chances
  • If France allow Argentina that much possession and chances, they will lose easily.
  • CAFCTrev said:
    If France allow Argentina that much possession and chances, they will lose easily.
    You're right but the final score would still be 1-0 France (Martinez OG 89' + Messi missed penalty 90+5')

That's just how it works when you play against this France team.
  • Brilliant effort by the Moroccans who deserved better, The French however still found a way despite riding their luck a lot tonight, and although it will be a virtual away game against Argentina I still fancy them to win it on Sunday.
  • Allez Les Bleus 
  • If France win the tournament, it would be back-to-back tournaments where England lose to the tournament winners.
  • France were the better team
    More clinical
    They have extra gears

I still fancy Argentina to do them though.....

• se9addick said:
    In a great World Cup (on the pitch) I have to say the semi-finals haven’t been brilliant. 
    Reminded me a tiny bit of 2002 and 1994, two clear favourites winning over nations who'd overachieved to get there a bit.

But then Morocco were better than any of the teams that year in my opinion, thought they looked a genuinely good team tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2022
    This is a France team without their two main midfielders and their main striker by the way. 

Still one of the two best teams in the tournament regardless. 
  • Should make for a decent final. A week ago I thought France would coast it if they beat us but they haven't particularly impressed me apart from their forward line, and they have ridden their luck.

I have two bets open with bob's lot:
    France to win at 3.75
    Argentina to win at 6.5 (but half the stake)
    Not sure which, if either to cash out
  • Extraordinary how good Griezmann has been defensively
  • If France win the tournament, it would be back-to-back tournaments where England lose to the tournament winners.
    The last team that knocked England out and didn't get to the final was Iceland ;-)
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    If France win the tournament, it would be back-to-back tournaments where England lose to the tournament winners.
    The last team that knocked England out and didn't get to the final was Iceland ;-)
    Southgate magic!
  • This is a France team without their two main midfielders and their main striker by the way. 

Or their best Hernandez
  • Betfair exchange odds:

Argentina 2.04
    France 1.94

The final will be a coin flip.
    So off the top of my head England have lost (at some stage of the competition) to the eventual winners in a few World Cups then

2022, if France succeed
    2002, Brazil
    1990, West Germany
    1986, Argentina
    1970, Brazil
    1962, Brazil
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    If France win the tournament, it would be back-to-back tournaments where England lose to the tournament winners.
    Iceland then lost to Asda in the knockout phase
    Tbf they beat Tesco in the 3rd place play off.
  • There's nothing in it, but if I had to choose, I'll take Argentina to win.
  • Think France still have a gear to go up. Do a job on Messi, which I think France have the calibre of players to do, and they win.
  • IdleHans said:
    Should make for a decent final. A week ago I thought France would coast it if they beat us but they haven't particularly impressed me apart from their forward line, and they have ridden their luck.

I have two bets open with bob's lot:
    France to win at 3.75
    Argentina to win at 6.5 (but half the stake)
    Not sure which, if either to cash out
    If you had £10 @ 3.75 and £5 at 6.5 

If it's France you win £27.50 -£5 = £22.50
    or Argentina you win  £27.50 - £10 = 17.50 

providing bet £3.65 odds are quoted like betfair
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Golden Boot race:

Messi: 5 goals, 3 assists
    Mbappe: 5 goals, 2 assists
    Alvarez & Giroud: 4 goals, 0 assists
    Isn't penalties the first tie breaker? 
    Goals
    Fewest goals from pens
    Assists
    Fewest minutes on pitch

I got the above information from the Eurosport website which states:

The Golden Boot is awarded to the player who scores the most goals at a World Cup.
    If two players finish on the same number of goals the award goes to the player with fewer goals scored from penalties, then the one with more assists. If there is still more than one player, the tie-breaker since 2006 goes to the player who has played the least amount of minutes at the tournament.

As I have a vested interest in this financially in Messi winning the Golden Boot, I thought I would double check this out in both Betfair's market rules and FIFA's official definition.

Betfair:

Who will win the Golden Boot award in this tournament?
    All bets stand irrespective of whether or not the player takes part. If two or more players score the same number of goals, the number of assists (as determined by the members of the FIFA Technical Study Group) shall be decisive. If two or more players are still equal after taking into account the number of assists, the total minutes played in the tournament will be taken into account, with the player playing fewer minutes ranked first.

FIFA:

The Golden Boot will be awarded to the player who scores the most goals in the final competition. If two or more players score the same number of goals, the number of assists (as determined by the members of the FIFA Technical Study Group) shall be decisive. If two or more players are still equal after taking into account the number of assists, the total minutes played in the tournament will be taken into account, with the player playing fewer minutes ranked first. A Silver Boot and a Bronze Boot will also be awarded for the second and third-highest goalscorers respectively.  

So, the information provided by some media outlets regarding "fewest goals from penalties" isn't correct. The lesson has to be - don't believe everything you read without checking it out first in the rules of the company you placed the bet with and the official competition definition though, for the purposes of the bet, Betfair's rules would take precedent anyway.
  • Think France still have a gear to go up. Do a job on Messi, which I think France have the calibre of players to do, and they win.
    You're right but containing Messi is certainly easier said than done. Hernandez has looked pretty suspect defensively and was given a rough night by Saka, so Messi could have a lot of joy against him. France will certainly need to double up and give him help.

If they give Argentina as much of the ball as Morocco had then they could be in trouble. I actually thought Morocco did well but just lacked any quality in the final third, which for Argentina isn't an issue.

Man for man i think France are a better side, but Argentina are growing into the tournament and getting better, they have Messi and will probably have 70-80% of the fans in the stadium on their side.

It's a genuine 50-50 game for me, so hard to call.

We said that about Mbappé, which we did, and still lost
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    This is a France team without their two main midfielders and their main striker by the way. 

Or their best Hernandez

Lucas Hernandez had the terrible misfortune to do his ACL in the first Group game against Australia and was replaced by his brother Theo who is the quintessential attacking full back who is better at going forward than defending. I doubt Lucas would've been in the position that Theo took up to score the goal.
    Remember seeing Lucas playing as the Left sided CB alongside Godin for Atlético Madrid a few years ago. 
    Theo and Lucas are different kinds of Left sided players.