Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    From a practical point of view, I can see that London matches just before the funeral may be an issue. Brentford and Chelsea for example are at home on Sunday 18th, whereas the games at Everton and Man U have no impact on funeral preparations
  • Options
    I think the point made earlier about the potentially thousands who will flock to London over the weekend is also key to matches down south being played (from a policing perspective)
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the argument here. Even those who want football called off are not suggesting people can't have fun. What's more disrespectful, standing in a crowd of thousands, showing a meaningful display of respect through silence and singing of the national anthem, or going to the cinema and watching a rom com? There are people on here who are seriously suggesting the former shouldn't be allowed, whilst perfectly happy with the latter. Bizarre
    plus the Queen loved her sport. Admittedly, not football
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be at The Goodwood Revival next weekend. Would imagine it will still go ahead if the funeral is on Monday but can't see they'll have any other option but to cancel if it's Saturday. They and local businesses will lose an absolute fortune if it is cancelled, thousands of people from across the world are due to attend and all the hotels anywhere near the place have been booked up for months.
  • Options
    The games should go ahead this week out of respect for the Queen and all should stood for.
  • Options
    I would postpone everything until Saturday and a public holiday for the funeral. I am a monarchist and have the greatest admiration for what the Queen has achieved but I am not sure that it would be her wish for anything more ..keep calm and carry on .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    All football matches should be cancelled as a mark of respect. 

People can go and have whatever other "fun" they want elsewhere, that's entirely up to them, but the football authorities should take the decision to cancel today, as early as possible, to give clarity and allow people to plan accordingly.

That's my personal opinion and is not something I wish to debate.
    Not something i wish to debate, but post on a public forum regarding a topic of debate? 
    Reckon they just mean they're not gonna bother debating it with anyone, as in, responding to quotes. Could be wrong though
  • Options
    Off_it said:

People can go and have whatever other "fun" they want elsewhere, that's entirely up to them, but the football authorities should take the decision to cancel today, as early as possible, to give clarity and allow people to plan accordingly.

Not something i wish to debate, but post on a public forum regarding a topic of debate? 
    I gave my opinion. That's all. I'm not arguing about it.
  • Options
    Maybe it should be left to personal choice. As I am approaching 69 years old, she was Queen for all my life. As much as I love my football, if games go on, I choose not to go. 
  • Options
    Maybe it should be left to personal choice. As I am approaching 69 years old, she was Queen for all my life. As much as I love my football, if games go on, I choose not to go. 
    I wonder if the games go ahead how many fans wont go?
  • Options
    Matches should go ahead and silences observed, black armbands worn etc. As others have said the Queen was very much a get-up-and-get-on-with-it sort of person, and I don't think she would really want hundreds of thousands of people inconvenienced.    
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Don’t cancel anything at all but mark events with a silence / applause / national anthem
    This. Final last sing of 'God save the queen' by fans across the land. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I'm not sure what the argument here. Even those who want football called off are not suggesting people can't have fun. What's more disrespectful, standing in a crowd of thousands, showing a meaningful display of respect through silence and singing of the national anthem, or going to the cinema and watching a rom com? There are people on here who are seriously suggesting the former shouldn't be allowed, whilst perfectly happy with the latter. Bizarre
    Exactly. Can go to Fabric this weekend but not to The Valley. Where's the logic?
    The only logic I can see is the aspect of crowd control, with tens of thousands of people flocking to London at the same time and the expectations on the police to handle it. 
  • Options
    All horse and Greyhound race meetings have been called off today.  But, racing will resume tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Yes you are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think you can pull either opinion up as being wrong.  For some, the occasion will be such that a more expansive period of mourning would be appropriate, for others they will pay their respects in their own way, but things should carry on.  

Personally I’m in the latter, but if the football was cancelled then I would accept it.

It’s hard to know where to draw the line.  I was at an external event for work y’day and even though we were aware of what was happening, we still went out with prospects and clients after the event for food and drink after the Queen had passed.  If you call off the sport, what’s to say it’s right to stop there
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

Yes you are.
    Not the time or place for trolling and I'm not biting. Sorry.
  • Options
    I don't agree with cancelling anything. 

Mourn for her in a normal respectful way.

There will be plenty of things scheduled in the near future where we will celebrate her life and the great things she did.

I believe in a minute's silence, followed by a minute's applause. 

If we are to cancel things, then it needs to be fully arranged and organised. Not a last minute decision.  

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Postpone everything during an official period of mourning.

Think it's only right we observe something extraordinary so that this this doesn't just pass us by.
    Or, give people a chance to meet up with friends and family where they can reflect on her life together
  • Options
    Perhaps it is a generational thing. It will surely have a greater emotional impact on those of us that have lived throughout the 8 decades of her reign? I certainly feel as I have when I have lost aunts and uncles, for instance. 
    I don’t expect my children to have similar feelings to mine, and am quite comfortable for them to continue doing what is normal for them this weekend.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
  • Options
    I would be very surprised if any games go ahead this weekend. Probably the following weekend as well as I would imagine that will be when the funeral takes place.
  • Options
    I am quite surprised that its not far off 12pm and there still isn't a decision
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Football should go ahead, with a minutes silence and the national anthem beforehand.

Although cancelling would give us another week to get Aneke & Innis fit…
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    I would be very surprised if any games go ahead this weekend. Probably the following weekend as well as I would imagine that will be when the funeral takes place.
    Where does that end though? Do none of us have to go to work on Monday because the country is in mourning?