Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• @Pelling1993 made a valid point on the England cricket thread where friends have paid to travel down from Durham, paid for a hotel etc.

how many football fans are in a similar boat? Calling off all sports at this short notice (football aimed comment) is crazy when considering the cost to some when money might be tight 
    I would imagine that, in most circumstances, refunds will be forthcoming
  • @Pelling1993 made a valid point on the England cricket thread where friends have paid to travel down from Durham, paid for a hotel etc.

how many football fans are in a similar boat? Calling off all sports at this short notice (football aimed comment) is crazy when considering the cost to some when money might be tight 
    Would the views of @p@Pelling1993 friends change if they weren't travelling down?
  • edited September 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    It's not just a case I being indoors or at the football though, is it
    But that’s the case we’re discussing.  
    What, going football or sitting indoors?

Well I suspect people who were going football might end up sitting indoors if it’s cancelled yes.  What are you getting at here?
    Simply that there's other things to do, particularly given what has happened, other than sit indoors, if the football is postponed for a couple if games.
    Sure, but why can’t sport be one of them.
    For the reasons that have already been given.
    Okay, so where’s the line, what fun can be had this weekend instead? 
    Have whatever fun you want

The suggested line is to postpone a couple of football games 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

Well I suspect people who were going football might end up sitting indoors if it’s cancelled yes.  What are you getting at here?
    Simply that there's other things to do, particularly given what has happened, other than sit indoors, if the football is postponed for a couple if games.

Well that’s the point isn’t it, why is football subjected to it, as Croydon pointed out. 

no chance of that happening
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

Well that’s the point isn’t it, why is football subjected to it, as Croydon pointed out. 
    It's not just football. Why do you think it's just football?

From train companies and large corporate hotels? I think that might be a struggle 
    Absolutely. Remember when the first round of games got called off because of Covid? The train company said we were still free to go enjoy Hull for the day.
  • I don't see why sport fixtures should be postponed or cancelled but do agree that respect should be made - life goes on
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    @Pelling1993 made a valid point on the England cricket thread where friends have paid to travel down from Durham, paid for a hotel etc.

Would the views of @p@Pelling1993 friends change if they weren't travelling down?
    I don't think that sport should be canceled at all. I surely hope she wouldn't have wanted everyone to stop doing the things they enjoy. I'm not sure what sitting at home with nothing to do accomplishes? It's very sad but she was a 96 year old women for goodness sake.
  • It’s the country that’s in mourning, not just it’s population, that’s a big difference in protocol. I believe that this weekend will go ahead, along with any midweek games, but next weekend games will be cancelled, wouldn’t be surprised if the funeral isn’t Monday week either.
  • edited September 2022
    I think calling off this weekend’s fixtures would be appropriate. Cancelling them until the funeral wouldn’t add anything.
    The funeral is likely to be next weekend. If that is the case then that will be 2 sets of fixtures cancelled.....and then have to be re-arranged. As its WC year there is already a tight schedule, esp for the PL. Not sure managers or players will be wanting to squeeze in 2 more midweek games somewhere. 
    It’s not clear if it will be Saturday or Monday.

Aren’t there midweek slots on September 20th and 27th available? As well as October 11th and 18th. It’s hardly an issue for us.
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

“A couple of football games”
    I don’t really think there’s an issue here, you think it should be cancelled, I don’t.  
  • clb74 said:
    @Pelling1993 made a valid point on the England cricket thread where friends have paid to travel down from Durham, paid for a hotel etc.

Stupid comment. Cost of train, match ticket and hotel could leave them nearly £200 out of pocket. Would that not cloud your judgement?

Are they the only ones? How many people travel to sports matches over the weekend (reasonable travel not included). 100,000? All losing money on travel and hotels at 24 hours notice.

I need a babysitter for tomorrow in order for me to go to Charlton. Me cancelling her will cost her £40. It's a business, through the books. Is it fair that she misses out on income?

I think the second comment on this thread hits the mail on the head. Crack on with sport and hold a minutes silence. Surely that will be more poignant?
  • Irish FA have postponed all football in Northern Ireland this weekend - I think is the type of thing that if it gets up a head of steam, other FA’s will have no option but to do the same

To be honest, I don’t know what side of the fence I am on about this
  • edited September 2022
    My own view is games should be called off this weekend, but continue midweek, however I can see where this thread is going.  It will just be lots of bickering, point scoring & arguing so I won't be posting on this thread anymore. 

The creator of this thread should be reprimanded by admin for creating such a divisive thread 😀
  • The Queen was a believer and she has gone to her maker and will be at peace .
    Whatever her wishes would be is what I think most would want .

They got the train down yesterday and then had to stay in the hotel last night so the refund isn't a possibility unfortunately 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

I don’t really think there’s an issue here, you think it should be cancelled, I don’t.  
    Yeah, thats right, I'm suggesting observing an official morning period and show a bit of respect by postponing large sporting events (a couple of football games where Charlton Athletic are concerned), and you think I'm saying you should sit indoors and not have any fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

Yeah, thats right, I'm suggesting observing an official morning period and show a bit of respect by postponing large sporting events (a couple of football games where Charlton Athletic are concerned), and you think I'm saying you should sit indoors and not have any fun.
    Yes because that will be the case for some.  
  • The Queen was a believer and she has gone to her maker and will be at peace .
    Whatever her wishes would be is what I think most would want .

As I suggested earlier, she worked with serious health conditions right up till 2 days before her passing, I’m guessing she would not want the nation pausing for her.  
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

Yes because that will be the case for some.  
    Okay

• Official guidance only recommending cancellation on the day of the state funeral. Will be interesting to see how things proceed from here.
  • clb74 said:

Stupid comment. Cost of train, match ticket and hotel could leave them nearly £200 out of pocket. Would that not cloud your judgement?

Are they the only ones? How many people travel to sports matches over the weekend (reasonable travel not included). 100,000? All losing money on travel and hotels at 24 hours notice.

I need a babysitter for tomorrow in order for me to go to Charlton. Me cancelling her will cost her £40. It's a business, through the books. Is it fair that she misses out on income?

I think the second comment on this thread hits the mail on the head. Crack on with sport and hold a minutes silence. Surely that will be more poignant?
    For me the sporting authorities should have already had this sorted together.
    Taking into account the day the queen might pass.
    We could now have some sports going ahead and not others.
    We might even have some some football leagues going ahead and not others.
    For me sporting fixtures would be postponed this weekend and next weekend.
  • I’d think next weekend will see cancellations.  This weekend should be a minutes silence and the national anthem being belted out at ALL matches this weekend.  At 3pm - the time she used to do the Christmas Day speech 
  • the earliest the funeral will be would seem to be Monday the 19th, hence I expect this weekend to be cancelled and subsequent games to be played (except on the actual day of the funeral)
  • I'm not sure what the argument here. Even those who want football called off are not suggesting people can't have fun. What's more disrespectful, standing in a crowd of thousands, showing a meaningful display of respect through silence and singing of the national anthem, or going to the cinema and watching a rom com? There are people on here who are seriously suggesting the former shouldn't be allowed, whilst perfectly happy with the latter. Bizarre
    This is what I can't fathom either! Millions of people around the country paying their respects in stadiums is a lovely gesture surely