Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    Feels like it would be an odd choice during a cost of living crisis to cancel something that people have spent a lot of money on so they can sit at home and reflect on a death they may be very upset about. I'd be amazed if train tickets and hotel stays were refunded en masse as a result of cancellations. Wednesday are due to play Plymouth tomorrow, likely a huge outlay where the match ticket is the least of it and they might just see that all disappear instead of getting to go to an event that could be really positive.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    It's not just a case I being indoors or at the football though, is it
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'm still genuinely deeply upset about yesterday's news but think tomorrow's  fixtures should go ahead with a 2 minute silence followed by the signing of the national anthem.
  • Options
    I still think the onus should be on the queen and what she’d want.

This is a head of state who served up until 2 days before her death despite health problems.  She doesn’t sound to me like the type who would want things cancelled for her.  
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

But that’s the case we’re discussing.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

What, going football or sitting indoors?

• Options
    I suspect that most of us would want sport to continue but there are many non-sports fans who would think that disrespectful.

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

What, going football or sitting indoors?

Well I suspect people who were going football might end up sitting indoors if it’s cancelled yes.  What are you getting at here?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    You may not get angry, I will. 
  • Options
    Things will never be the same again.
    Whatever way football/sport goes as we can see on here we are divided.
    Football gets called off there will be a few moaning and if it goes ahead a few moaning.
    Considering they discussed the Queens passing 2 or 3 times a year surely all this should of been sorted.
    I'd of thought the queen herself would of had a big input as to what happens?
    For me if it goes ahead it will be the wrong decision.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

You may not get angry, I will. 
    Some will I suspect, and that’s each to their own, some will grieve some won’t, one of the freedoms we enjoy each day being British.  
  • Options
    I suspect that most of us would want sport to continue but there are many non-sports fans who would think that disrespectful.

That’s fine, they don’t have to go. They shouldn’t, however, impose their views on me. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why though? What exactly does it achieve?
    It shows that we're a Nation in mourning. 

Can understand people not agreeing with postponing fixtures, but surely it's an easy concept given the circumstances?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Again though, we can each mourn in our way, there’s no rule for it.  I just don’t see the benefits of postponing.  
  • Options
    It's now a sad occasion in more ways than one.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why though? What exactly does it achieve?
    As a mark of respect but more importantly to help put things into perspective. I personally feel like I have lost a family member and I am grieving - the country has lost its rock of 70 years. A short time for reflection is appropriate as far as I see it.

That's just me (and a lot of others I'm sure) but I respect the views of others who see it differently.

If one Premier League or EFL team decides, as it appears it is a club by club decision, to postpone then it is very likely all will be postponed.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.