Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

1151617181921»

Comments

• Options
    I prefer the clapping to silence. Especially for a 96 year old where I believe it should be more about a celebration of a great life.
    There is a time for clapping, but yesterday wasn't that time, it seemed to me to be inappropriate for such a solemn occasion.
    I suppose it is how we view it. I am desperately sad to have lost the queen who has been a constant in our lives since birth for most of us. But I just don't mourn a 96 year old dying the same way as say a young person. Her life IMO should be celebrated. But I accept people see it differently and that is important. We have to acknowledge people see it differently.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Funerals cancelled. the funerals of ordinary citizens. Just listened to a woman on a radio phone-in describing how she was called yesterday by the crematorium where her mother was to be buried today. They said "we suppose you know why we are calling". She had no idea. When they told her, they were, she said "very matter-of -fact" in tone, and claimed that all crematoria are taking the same action. She had relatives flying in from the US, hotels booked etc.

Two questions

1. While we cannot presume to know our late Queen's mind, is there a single person on here who wants to suggest she would have been happy with this?

2. Who, exactly, needs to "get a grip" about random cancellations?
    Our friends buried their mother today at Falconwood.

Edit - ignore me I got the wrong end of the stick.
    No, sounds interesting. Falconwood was operating normally today? If so I’ll pass that on to the radio prog. The poor woman was led to believe it was a nationwide decision. She was intelligent and lucid. No chance that she misheard what her crematorium told her.

EDIT: I think I misheard. This poor lady's funeral is on the same day as the now announced Royal funeral. It remains an absolutely shameful decision. When I think of the logistics that went into my own late Mum's relatively simple funeral at Falconwood (led brilliantly by a Lifer btw), I think I would never forgive the people who made this decision.
    Do funerals normally take place on bank holidays? I understand the practical and personal issue the postponement causes but it also means other people don’t have to work.
    Well that’s a take I didnt expect, not from you anyway.

I daresay funerals dont take place on “bank” holidays, but they are in the calendar for all to see. Unlike this one. Then of course, people do have to work on those holidays. NHS, fire service, etc, not to mention all those poor souls who have to man the tills at retail outlets that stay open on Bank holidays.

But if you really want to stick to that line you might at least agree that the State should endeavour to make an out-of -pocket payment to all those affected. Or perhaps even better that the King sends condolences to all those affected. I will bet a lot of money that no one in the relevant positions has given that second thought.
    You don’t think it’s a consideration if people are being asked to work a bank holiday? Supposing they are particularly anxious to watch the Queen’s funeral, which I imagine some people will be. I just think there are two sides to it, but you’re only looking at one. Why make it a bank holiday at all if people have to work?

The others you mention all work bank holidays and will understand that is part of their job.

Completely agree. 

@PragueAddick; you're wrong here, as Airman has explained. So just leave it there.
    I'm quite happy to leave it there. Fortunately I  don't have to witness the mass hysteria up close and personal, See y'all on Tuesday
    PA, I tend to agree and “like” a lot of your posts and I am certainly not a royalist as you’ll know from exchanges in the HoC section. 

However I’ve gotta disagree here, on the grounds there just isn’t “mass hysteria”.  Maybe online and in the news where all is exaggerated but not in reality.  Most are going about their daily lives and making small talk with things like “ah sad about the queen isn’t it” then talking about the football, their pets and the kids again.  

Any hysteria you have seen, which I very much agree there is “some”, is still in a minority.  I was annoyed about the football being cancelled but other than that there’s loads of ways to crack on without your life being distracted here.  
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Funerals cancelled. the funerals of ordinary citizens. Just listened to a woman on a radio phone-in describing how she was called yesterday by the crematorium where her mother was to be buried today. They said "we suppose you know why we are calling". She had no idea. When they told her, they were, she said "very matter-of -fact" in tone, and claimed that all crematoria are taking the same action. She had relatives flying in from the US, hotels booked etc.

Two questions

1. While we cannot presume to know our late Queen's mind, is there a single person on here who wants to suggest she would have been happy with this?

2. Who, exactly, needs to "get a grip" about random cancellations?
    Our friends buried their mother today at Falconwood.

Edit - ignore me I got the wrong end of the stick.
    No, sounds interesting. Falconwood was operating normally today? If so I’ll pass that on to the radio prog. The poor woman was led to believe it was a nationwide decision. She was intelligent and lucid. No chance that she misheard what her crematorium told her.

EDIT: I think I misheard. This poor lady's funeral is on the same day as the now announced Royal funeral. It remains an absolutely shameful decision. When I think of the logistics that went into my own late Mum's relatively simple funeral at Falconwood (led brilliantly by a Lifer btw), I think I would never forgive the people who made this decision.
    Do funerals normally take place on bank holidays? I understand the practical and personal issue the postponement causes but it also means other people don’t have to work.
    Well that’s a take I didnt expect, not from you anyway.

I daresay funerals dont take place on “bank” holidays, but they are in the calendar for all to see. Unlike this one. Then of course, people do have to work on those holidays. NHS, fire service, etc, not to mention all those poor souls who have to man the tills at retail outlets that stay open on Bank holidays.

But if you really want to stick to that line you might at least agree that the State should endeavour to make an out-of -pocket payment to all those affected. Or perhaps even better that the King sends condolences to all those affected. I will bet a lot of money that no one in the relevant positions has given that second thought.
    You don’t think it’s a consideration if people are being asked to work a bank holiday? Supposing they are particularly anxious to watch the Queen’s funeral, which I imagine some people will be. I just think there are two sides to it, but you’re only looking at one. Why make it a bank holiday at all if people have to work?

The others you mention all work bank holidays and will understand that is part of their job.

Completely agree. 

@PragueAddick; you're wrong here, as Airman has explained. So just leave it there.
    I'm quite happy to leave it there. Fortunately I  don't have to witness the mass hysteria up close and personal, See y'all on Tuesday
    I haven't seen any "mass hysteria" at all. Or any hysteria of any kind. Far from it.

Even some of the news crews desperately trying to create an "angle" and shoving microphones into peoples faces in the queue or as they leave Westminster Hall seem to have been met with solemn and dignified responses in the main, from what I've seen.
    Lucky you. 

I don't make a habit of watching BBC TV news any more. I just happened to land on it last night after finishing something pre-recorded.

They showed the moment when the cavalcade including the hearse arrived at Buckingham Palace. As it did a twirl around, and at relatively high speed,  people cheered and *whooped* as if it was an F1 car on a victory lap. That was the moment I said to myself I'm done with this. Definitely not my idea of dignified. 

And that really is my last word on this. I won't undignify this thread by introducing the issue of the protest arrests. That can wait until Tuesday as far as I'm concerned.
    So you're basing your "mass hysteria" comment on one viewing of some TV footage where some people cheered? Not the footage where the various processions have passed in either complete silence or with the occasional ripples of polite applause?

And presumably you're still overseas at the moment, so haven't actually been into London (or Edinburgh) and witnessed people either at various landmarks or travelling to and from?

And then you go on to mention the very thing you say you wont undignify this thread by mentioning. 

All very odd behaviour. Almost attention seeking. But I'm glad you've confirmed that will be your last comment on this matter. It's probably best.
    It was going to be my last comment, but you did insist on asking me some questions, so, since it's you, how could I fail to respond? Churlish not to. ;)

Nope, that was simply the last straw. The wall to wall coverage of increasingly performative behaviour just made me more and more uncomfortable as the week has progressed. Want an example? Here's one:

As I've already said, in case anyone wants to start, I am sad that the Queen is no longer with us, and think she has personified a lot that's good about the UK (as are/do many people here in the country I live in). It's my personal opinion that she would find  a lot of what's going on now, a bit over the top, and the cancelling of funerals and major surgery just plain wrong, but just my take. Otherwise each to his own. Personally, while I was, and remain, sad, at her passing,  it's also something that I've been expecting for years. She was 96. The death of Diana was something else entirely, it should not have happened, and was and remains a matter for self-reflection as well as genuine shock at the time. 

And now I promise that's my last word on this topic,  pre the funeral. If you insist on the last word, do crack on.
  • Options
    As I said, ‘bizarre’.

You don’t have to listen/watch/read/look.

You live in another country………it’s easy.

Leave them at it. You’ll feel better. Honest.

LLLBH 😊
  • Options
    I don’t get the condemnation of how people are dealing with the death of a much loved and admired constant in their lives.
    Especially when you don’t even live in the UK 🤷‍♀️

Bizarre.
    I find this a bit OTT to be honest, not to mention hospital appointments being cancelled 

• Options
    I don’t get the condemnation of how people are dealing with the death of a much loved and admired constant in their lives.

Bizarre.
    So only people who live in the UK are allowed to have an opinion?

Bizarre.

I don't live in Russia but I'd certainly have an opinion if Putin popped his clogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bizarre.
    So only people who live in the UK are allowed to have an opinion?

Bizarre.

I don't live in Russia but I'd certainly have an opinion if Putin popped his clogs.
    Of course you are.
    But I’d be very surprised if you started openly condemning those Putin supporters (of which there are many) who will undoubtedly mourn him, when you’re not living in Russia.
    I certainly wouldn’t.
    I may not understand but then I’ve have no idea what they’ve been through.