Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport in the aftermath - What should happen? (EFL fixtures resume Tues 13th Sept - p20)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

At least if the sport is on you have a choice whatever your thoughts are.  
    It's not just a case I being indoors or at the football though, is it
    But that’s the case we’re discussing.  
    What, going football or sitting indoors?

Well I suspect people who were going football might end up sitting indoors if it’s cancelled yes.  What are you getting at here?
    Simply that there's other things to do, particularly given what has happened, other than sit indoors, if the football is postponed for a couple if games.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Actually surprised many want games to go ahead this weekend, I'd have thought any supporter of the Royals would have wanted games to be postponed this weekend at a minimum.
    People grieve in their own way.  Some would want to be indoors, others might want to carry on.  

But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    No there isn’t this is a fair debate.  You can express sorrow however you like, some get on with things others want to take time out.  
  • Options
    I'd of also like to of seen sport make a collective decision.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why though? What exactly does it achieve?
    As a mark of respect but more importantly to help put things into perspective. I personally feel like I have lost a family member and I am grieving - the country has lost its rock of 70 years. A short time for reflection is appropriate as far as I see it.

That's just me (and a lot of others I'm sure) but I respect the views of others who see it differently.

If one Premier League or EFL team decides, as it appears it is a club by club decision, to postpone then it is very likely all will be postponed.
    This is basically where I am
  • Options
    And unless I've missed it, no message of sympathy on our website.

There really should be one and it is a bad oversight that there isn't. 
  • Options
    Need to carry on, unfair on thousands who have booked trains/hotels.
    As a relief from stresses of every day life, the weekend/football is important. Meet up with friends and family and show our respect as well.

• Options
    I can understand a difference of views and I can understand people being disappointed if fixtures are postponed but to be angry about it? Really?

We survived a couple of lockdown periods without Sport. Yes it will be boring but respectful, I'm sure we will all find something else to occupy us for a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I think calling off this weekend’s fixtures would be appropriate. Cancelling them until the funeral wouldn’t add anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think one thing that will be taken into consideration is the fact that lots of people will suddenly want to use the train service tomorrow to get into London and hundreds of thousands of drunken football fans might not be ideal passenger companions.

All rail strikes have been called off for next week too. 
  • Options
    And unless I've missed it, no message of sympathy on our website.

There really should be one and it is a bad oversight that there isn't. 
    Club tweeted about it yesterday 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    End of an era that we'll never see again and we're saying there should be football (singing / chanting / etc) going down the road at QPR, Chelsea and Fulham, while the Queen is laying in state down the road (assuming She will be at Westminster Cathedral)

You wear black armbands and have a minutes silence when a former player passes away. This is another level and should very marked as such imo. 

I think she still be in Scotland until next week. 
  • Options
    I don’t really understand the logic of cancelling every football fixture this weekend, surely a couple minutes silence/applause is a sufficient mark of respect?

The whole country will stop for the funeral.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

But what about people who have to work at events that aren't postponed, they won't exactly have a choice. It all smacks a bit of I want to show I care but don't inconvenience me.
    Well it’s unfortunate if you don’t have a choice but what can we do about that.  You can show you care in a number of ways, cancelling football doesn’t have to be one of them.  And by the way I’m not gonna be angry if it is cancelled I just can’t see why it should be.  
    Just to be a pedant, it's not cancelled it's postponed. I'm no royalist by any means so personally I don't care either way. I just can't understand those that are and would be going and having fun in what is an official period of mourning. Seems hypocritical to me.
    Why does mourning not have to be about going and having 'fun'. It should be a chance to celebrate someone's life, especially someone who has lived so long and had such an impact on the nation. 

Because the word mourning literally means expressing sorrow. Fun and sorrow do not go together. Some great mental gymnastics in this thread.
    No there isn’t this is a fair debate.  You can express sorrow however you like, some get on with things others want to take time out.  
    Can you honestly not see the juxtaposition of sorrow and enjoyment side by side? You can frame it however you want about that's how you express it but if someone told me they were deeply sad about something and I saw them out enjoying themselves I'd question if that were really true.
  • Options
    A couple of the minor leagues have postponed their games
  • Options
    I think calling off this weekend’s fixtures would be appropriate. Cancelling them until the funeral wouldn’t add anything.
    The funeral is likely to be next weekend. If that is the case then that will be 2 sets of fixtures cancelled.....and then have to be re-arranged. As its WC year there is already a tight schedule, esp for the PL. Not sure managers or players will be wanting to squeeze in 2 more midweek games somewhere. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Gribbo said:
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Why though? What exactly does it achieve?
    It shows that we're a Nation in mourning. 

Can understand people not agreeing with postponing fixtures, but surely it's an easy concept given the circumstances?
    Why do we need to 'show' we're in moarning? Let people moarn how they want, forcing it fot the spectacle of nationwide sadness is bizarre 
    Isn't a big part of being in mourning, showing it? When we lose a family member, we don't generally show we're in mourning by doing something inappropriate do we?

Read Colts post above re' the meaning of Mourning
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    End of an era that we'll never see again and we're saying there should be football (singing / chanting / etc) going down the road at QPR, Chelsea and Fulham, while the Queen is laying in state down the road (assuming She will be at Westminster Cathedral)

You wear black armbands and have a minutes silence when a former player passes away. This is another level and should very marked as such imo. 

I think she will be back in London at some point over the weekend and Lie in State at Westminster Hall from Monday. Hundreds of thousands will want to pay their respects in person and that will need sufficient time. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

Well I suspect people who were going football might end up sitting indoors if it’s cancelled yes.  What are you getting at here?
    Simply that there's other things to do, particularly given what has happened, other than sit indoors, if the football is postponed for a couple if games.
    Sure, but why can’t sport be one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can understand a difference of views and I can understand people being disappointed if fixtures are postponed but to be angry about it? Really?

We survived a couple of lockdown periods without Sport. Yes it will be boring but respectful, I'm sure we will all find something else to occupy us for a couple of weeks.
    Yes, angry. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the service she gave. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Not sure tbh, but there'll be some sort of plan of action released at some point and personally think it would be respectful to postpone football fixtures during this time (possible 2 games)
  • Options
    The funeral is likely to be next weekend. If that is the case then that will be 2 sets of fixtures cancelled.....and then have to be re-arranged. As its WC year there is already a tight schedule, esp for the PL. Not sure managers or players will be wanting to squeeze in 2 more midweek games somewhere. 
    And this is it for me.
    It will lead to a fixture congestion so let's not call the games off.
    That's not a dig at you Golfie 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Can you honestly not see the juxtaposition of sorrow and enjoyment side by side? You can frame it however you want about that's how you express it but if someone told me they were deeply sad about something and I saw them out enjoying themselves I'd question if that were really true.
    I can yes because sorrow can be shown in more ways than one.  An individual can do it how they want.  Some are not even in mourning. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

For the reasons that have already been given.
  • Options
    @Pelling1993 made a valid point on the England cricket thread where friends have paid to travel down from Durham, paid for a hotel etc.

how many football fans are in a similar boat? Calling off all sports at this short notice (football aimed comment) is crazy when considering the cost to some when money might be tight 
  • Options
    Agree with this.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

For the reasons that have already been given.
    Okay, so where’s the line, what fun can be had this weekend instead?