Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 22/23 Thread - Round 3 draw: is no longer relevant to us :(

Comments

• Options
    Fortune 82nd Minute said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Honestly, I really struggle with our fans some-times.. We should be selling a minimum of 5-6K in the home ends.. I get it is a cup game against a club no has heard of, but this is the FA and fans should be making the effort. I know easier for me to say from afar.. No wonder other clubs take the piss out of our support, we really don't help ourselves!  
    For many years manager after manager has taken the piss out of us fans by playing a reserve team and not taking the cup seriously. Some of them have even said the cup is not important to them.

Then throw in many, many absolutely abysmal displays in the competition - Northwich Victoria anyone? - and no wonder people aren't rushing to buy tickets.

I can only hope Ben Garner will be the first manager we have had for years to take the cups seriously. Maybe then people will turn up.
    100% this.

Don't care if we lose but what I do expect is 1st team v 1st team, all this, resting players is bollocks. We are in league one, not facing a champion's league game on Wednesday night.

I have never paid to watch a reserve game in 50 years so why should I start now.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Honestly, I really struggle with our fans some-times.. We should be selling a minimum of 5-6K in the home ends.. I get it is a cup game against a club no has heard of, but this is the FA and fans should be making the effort. I know easier for me to say from afar.. No wonder other clubs take the piss out of our support, we really don't help ourselves!  
    For many years manager after manager has taken the piss out of us fans by playing a reserve team and not taking the cup seriously. Some of them have even said the cup is not important to them.

Then throw in many, many absolutely abysmal displays in the competition - Northwich Victoria anyone? - and no wonder people aren't rushing to buy tickets.

I can only hope Ben Garner will be the first manager we have had for years to take the cups seriously. Maybe then people will turn up.
    Poor excuse - I think you can see already this year we have taken the cups seriously enough.. reverting back to a cup game 10 years ago?? Most teams have a shocker against smaller teams from time to time, does that stop the fans going? No!!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The FA Cup has very little appeal for the big boys, has been like that for years.   The attendances show that.

As for us, if we can barely get 7,000 fans for a league game why will people to go and watch a non-league side, coupled with the small matter of a train strike.
    Big boys will sell out or just at least 90% of normal crowd.

Train strike for a home game, come on.. it’s not as if we have fans travelling from all over the country, 95% are from south east of the country there are other modes of transport!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I expect it’ll be a decent ish team with an eye on Stevenage in midweek - both of the next two games will see less young guns than were out there this evening. There’s potential for a money spinner in the last 16 of the League Cup and I’d expect Garner to prioritise that.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

I agree. Just bought myself a ticket - Son is not interested. What happened to the magic of the FA Cup ? Will I ever see us play Coalville again ?  
    Could be a replay, assuming we have replays in this round. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The FA Cup has very little appeal for the big boys, has been like that for years.   The attendances show that.

As for us, if we can barely get 7,000 fans for a league game why will people to go and watch a non-league side, coupled with the small matter of a train strike.

Train strike for a home game, come on.. it’s not as if we have fans travelling from all over the country, 95% are from south east of the country there are other modes of transport!
    Chelsea went to a general sale in the semis last year.
    People living in Medway without a car are stuffed.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Coach and bus service..

So what, if it went on general sale? Did they sell out or close to it...

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agree completely, if BG made a statement that he was going to take the cup seriously, then maybe the fans would. 
  • Options
    Got my tickets in our regular Lower North seats. Admittedly we live a couple of miles away and can get a bus. But still, this season we have been taking cups seriously. If I hadn't had a prior engagement I would probably have been there last night. We ought to beat Coalville, but it's not guaranteed and I'd expect them to be up for it. I'm looking forward to it all the while knowing everyone wants us to lose. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Poor excuse - I think you can see already this year we have taken the cups seriously enough.. reverting back to a cup game 10 years ago?? Most teams have a shocker against smaller teams from time to time, does that stop the fans going? No!!
    Sorry its not a poor excuse, it's a fact.

You surely can't deny we haven't taken the FA cup seriously for years? Understrength teams put out year after year. If you take the piss long enough, people react. And in this case they've reacted by saying if the club doesn't take the game seriously why should we by buying a ticket.

In fairness, Ben Garner does look like he might be taking the cups more seriously. I like the team he put out last night- a good combination of youth and experience. I hope he plays a strong team in the next 2 cup games - not necessarily the first team but a strong one. If he does that, then maybe there will be something in what you say.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You surely can't deny we haven't taken the FA cup seriously for years? Understrength teams put out year after year. If you take the piss long enough, people react. And in this case they've reacted by saying if the club doesn't take the game seriously why should we by buying a ticket.

In fairness, Ben Garner does look like he might be taking the cups more seriously. I like the team he put out last night- a good combination of youth and experience. I hope he plays a strong team in the next 2 cup games - not necessarily the first team but a strong one. If he does that, then maybe there will be something in what you say.
    I think nearly every team playing a side below them changes the team, and gives players the opportunity, it great time to try younger players on the first team stage. And wouldn't say we put massively understrength sides, those players should been enough on paper, but the oppo have wanted it more. 

Garner already proven we are taking the cups seriously. 

It is piss poor that we are only likely to sell 3k in home ends. FACT!!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I think nearly every team playing a side below them changes the team, and gives players the opportunity, it great time to try younger players on the first team stage. And wouldn't say we put massively understrength sides, those players should been enough on paper, but the oppo have wanted it more. 

To add to this last year we put a changed side out and won comfortable
    2021–22 Charlton Athletic F.C. season - Wikipedia got to the 3rd round and couldn't sell more than 4K for a premier league team

Year previously nearly a full strength team and we lost 
    2020–21 Charlton Athletic F.C. season - Wikipedia

Then a very week team against high flying WBA only lost 1-0 
    Charlton Athletic 0-1 West Bromwich Albion, FA Cup third round - BBC Sport

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

That team last night was more a reflection of where our team is over stocked. The likes of Payne, Lavelle, McGrandles needed minutes, while JFC is exiled into cup games.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

To add to this last year we put a changed side out and won comfortable
    2021–22 Charlton Athletic F.C. season - Wikipedia got to the 3rd round and couldn't sell more than 4K for a premier league team

Year previously nearly a full strength team and we lost 
    2020–21 Charlton Athletic F.C. season - Wikipedia

Then a very week team against high flying WBA only lost 1-0 
    Charlton Athletic 0-1 West Bromwich Albion, FA Cup third round - BBC Sport

The sad truth is that lower PL teams aren't a big attraction, especially as they are likely to rest players. Especially as the lower PL teams are ones we will have played fairly recently, whether in the Championship or even in L1!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

What time are you leaving Dubai for the game? Can’t knock others if you are not even making the effort yourself.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

What time are you leaving Dubai for the game? Can’t knock others if you are not even making the effort yourself.
    Others will though! What will the wider footballing community, the press, and our opponent's make of it? As this game will be billed as one with potential for a 'giant killing,' it will attract considerable outside interest. Maybe we don't care what others think of us, which is fair enough if that's of no consequence, but if, as it appears, we're going to struggle to outnumber Coalville fans, some criticism of our support will follow, regardless of what justification there is for the turnout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Coach and bus service..

So what, if it went on general sale? Did they sell out or close to it...

Okay, you win.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I'll be very interested to see the attendances this weekend.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Probably can't afford it mate.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

How many games do you get to? Living four thousand miles away isn't a good enough excuse. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    PopIcon said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

How many games do you get to? Living four thousand miles away isn't a good enough excuse. 
    What?
    This is about numbers attending.  Less than 700 went yesterday as people are not interested.
  • Options
    Not as if the Club itself is taking it seriously. Only opening the West and North Lower, neither places I want to sit, and are not running the usual Valley Express service, on a day there is a train strike.
  • Options
    Not as if the Club itself is taking it seriously. Only opening the West and North Lower, neither places I want to sit, and are not running the usual Valley Express service, on a day there is a train strike.
    Really ?

I thought there was an announcement at the Ipswich game asking fans to make their interest known for ADDITIONAL  VE coaches to the Cup match ! 

What a weird way to attract more support for the team !
  • Options
    Really ?

I thought there was an announcement at the Ipswich game asking fans to make their interest known for ADDITIONAL  VE coaches to the Cup match ! 

No, they wanted you to register an interest in getting the coach and if there was enough support they would run a coach/es. None available to book that I can see.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Really ?

No, they wanted you to register an interest in getting the coach and if there was enough support they would run a coach/es. None available to book that I can see.
    Dubai was saying about coaches, again another show of lack of interest.
    Perhaps he does not realise the owners are s*** in coach travel organisation.
    Public transport buses from Medway and southwards, anybody know how long it takes to Charlton?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Flights are crazy at the moment..