Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v QPR Match Thread - League Cup 1st Round | Tuesday 9th August 2022 + POST MATCH (p18)

Comments

• I only see games on CTV and last  night only had commentary but reading the marks and comments this season it seems we have a different Morgan and Kirk. It is hard to understand the difference on a stream but what is it that has improved them both?
    I've long thought Morgan suffered for the fact we did not play possession football and managers not playing to his strengths. He is not a 10, he is not the right or left man in a Diamond either. He always did well in the academy where we tended to move the ball better than we did at first team level. Kirk looks to have confidence and freedom, but also to be getting the ball with space and time to operate.
  • Kirk: has gone from doing 0 things a game, to 1 or 2. Still a luxury player, but might get you a goal
  • Lets just see. Conclusions after 2/3 games always ends up our downfall. Need a season of it to get out of this ugly league.
  • Leuth said:
    Kirk: has gone from doing 0 things a game, to 1 or 2. Still a luxury player, but might get you a goal
    Still needs to work on his defensive duties, even the basics, thats the biggest issue now for me with him

It didnt really lead to the goal as there was enough passage of play for it to be avoided. But there was a moment when Clayden played a ball which didnt reach him, he made the barest of efforts to drop and collect it, and then stopped which made life easy for the QPR player.

Not asking him to bust a gut, and make last ditch tackles to support his Full-Back, but dont be plain lazy.

Its why I'd be surprised if he starts away from home on a regular basis
  • Leuth said:
    Kirk: has gone from doing 0 things a game, to 1 or 2. Still a luxury player, but might get you a goal

And the thing is you can have a luxury player with quality on the ball when you're not playing the turgid football we've become accustomed to and they will improve you.
  • jams said:
    Bonne is a bizarre player all round 
    Bonne is so good.................! He really isn't that good, he'll end up back in the national league before long
  • I only see games on CTV and last  night only had commentary but reading the marks and comments this season it seems we have a different Morgan and Kirk. It is hard to understand the difference on a stream but what is it that has improved them both?
    Albie is everywhere, but he has players making the kind of runs his passes are made for. In particular Kirk & CBT always seem to make those early runs. 

Kirk just seems more up for it. 
  • edited August 2022
    I think Kirk sees more of the ball in 30 minutes in this system than he did in 90 minutes previously. And much higher up the pitch.
  • edited August 2022
    Rossman92 said:
    9 Championship teams played lower league opposition, all 9 lost. Madness 
    I don't suppose it's a reflection of an uplift in the standard lower down the leagues. More that it isn't that important to those Championship Club's who complacently  field weakened teams hoping to have enough to see them through, although I know QPR didn't.

I don't think the gap has narrowed, even though I don't expect Sunderland to find themselves at the arse end of the Championship this season . I expect Wigan and Rotherham to both struggle though, and it seems every time the Millers get to the Championship, they can't bridge the gap, in much the same way as Norwich can't bridge the gap to the Prem.

Too early to draw conclusions though and it will be interesting to see how tonight's games go. But hey, who cares. Aren't we just the best.....for now!
  • Sponsored links:

• "Play half decent football with intent and a desire to progress in the competition at realistic prices and they will come"

Saw that in a Kevin Costner film once.
  • swordfish said:
    Rossman92 said:
    I don't suppose it's a reflection of an uplift in the standard lower down the leagues. More that it isn't that important to those Championship Club's who complacently  field weakened teams hoping to have enough to see them through, although I know QPR didn't.

I don't think the gap has narrowed, even though I don't expect Sunderland to find themselves at the arse end of the Championship this season . I expect Wigan and Rotherham to both struggle though, and it seems every time the Millers get to the Championship, they can't bridge the gap, in much the same way as Norwich can't bridge the gap to the Prem.

Too early to draw conclusions though and it will be interesting to see how tonight's games go. But hey, who cares. Aren't we just the best.....for now!
    Championship clubs don't care much about the EFL club, and neither do most smaller PL clubs, that's the sad truth

Just looking at the list of recent winners, the last non Big 6 club to win it was in 2013. Indeed 4 out of the last 5 finals have been between Big 6 clubs, which for a neutral makes them a complete yawnfest.
  • swordfish said:
    Rossman92 said:

Championship clubs don't care much about the EFL club, and neither do most smaller PL clubs, that's the sad truth

Just looking at the list of recent winners, the last non Big 6 club to win it was in 2013. Indeed 4 out of the last 5 finals have been between Big 6 clubs, which for a neutral makes them a complete yawnfest.
    It has become a really silly competition hasn't it.  I suppose the FA cup has as well.  

At least in the 90s we got knocked out by Man United's first team.

3 or 4 of the top 6 teams will get to the semis playing their reserves then suddenly take it seriously.
  • It is possible to get the kind of draw that would generate money, and for us that would help mitigate the losses and maintain the ship on a steadier course.

Game time, coaching, but above all, playing a way that suits them I'd guessed. 

Can't beat seeing players and a game in the flesh, a few players surprised me last night after finally getting a in person look at them rather than through a stream. 
  • Last night I was amused when the referee castigated Payne (left of the QPR goal at the Jimmy Seed) when he had a bit of argy bargy with the QPR defender twice his size.
    Even if Payne was in the wrong the referee couldn’t really yellow card the little guy at that moment, it wouldn’t have been a good look.
    An instance where Payne passed the CL height test.
  • Bit late to the party, but I was very impressed last night. The passing and attitude was spot on and it feels like a plan is coming together.

Payne is a star, as is Wollacott. Last night showed that there are players out there if you know where to look. Nothing wrong if they are a division below or a former club of the new manager.

We desperately need Sandgaard to spend on a striker. Hopefully he can see the promising signs and realise now is the time to invest.

As an aside, I thought DJ was much better last night and his finishing pre match was excellent. It still bugs me that him and Clare are seemingly always running towards each other. Never wants to use his pace and encourage the ball over the top.
  • Last night was a perfect example of how we will do better against better teams that try to play football. I have no doubt that we will more than hold our own against the top teams in the league but I also think we might struggle against the teams that get into a battle. Very good signs though and I would think we might attract some decent loan signings after showing the type of game we want to play
  • mendonca said:
    I only see games on CTV and last  night only had commentary but reading the marks and comments this season it seems we have a different Morgan and Kirk. It is hard to understand the difference on a stream but what is it that has improved them both?
    Morgan - More intensity to his pressing and play. He is passing and moving, rather than just passing and watching.

Kirk - He's got a few players who are overlapping and showing movement, so is showing his offering now. JJ used him as a left wing back remember, just because that formation could not be altered.
    When did JJ use him at wing back ? In a Johnstone’s Paint game ? 
  • Is it to early to say "cup run"?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit late to the party, but I was very impressed last night. The passing and attitude was spot on and it feels like a plan is coming together.

Payne is a star, as is Wollacott. Last night showed that there are players out there if you know where to look. Nothing wrong if they are a division below or a former club of the new manager.

We desperately need Sandgaard to spend on a striker. Hopefully he can see the promising signs and realise now is the time to invest.

As an aside, I thought DJ was much better last night and his finishing pre match was excellent. It still bugs me that him and Clare are seemingly always running towards each other. Never wants to use his pace and encourage the ball over the top.
    I agree we need another striker, but I couldn't care less how he comes by one. It could be a freebie or a loan, just as long he's up to the mark. Don't get this obsession with having to flash the cash and certainly wouldn't judge the contents of a book by it's price tag. He's spent big before and got it wrong remember.
  • edited August 2022
    I only see games on CTV and last  night only had commentary but reading the marks and comments this season it seems we have a different Morgan and Kirk. It is hard to understand the difference on a stream but what is it that has improved them both?

Game time, coaching, but above all, playing a way that suits them I'd guessed. 

Can't beat seeing players and a game in the flesh, a few players surprised me last night after finally getting a in person look at them rather than through a stream. 
    We have played the same formation in all 3 games.  The fundamentals are the same but the patterns of play have been very different and more often right.  

I think it will look similar on paper but look different on the pitch and that's where playing the right players, in the right role, will come to the for.  

Under both managers last seasin, some times through necessity, we ramed the player into the role.  Whoever it was. 
  • Pudds said:
    I've long thought Morgan suffered for the fact we did not play possession football and managers not playing to his strengths. He is not a 10, he is not the right or left man in a Diamond either. He always did well in the academy where we tended to move the ball better than we did at first team level. Kirk looks to have confidence and freedom, but also to be getting the ball with space and time to operate.
    Let’s give it a bit longer with Morgan before drawing conclusions. I really want him to make it with us, but I’m still sceptical…
  • se9addick said:
    Pudds said:
    Let’s give it a bit longer with Morgan before drawing conclusions. I really want him to make it with us, but I’m still sceptical…
    Your a brave man to express such reservations. The last poster to say similar got pelters and hasn't been heard from since.

FWIW I agree, but he's obviously playing with confidence at the moment and long may that continue.
  • edited August 2022
    As previously said it was a great night out.
    IF ONLY I COULD HAVE GOT A BEER!!!, The queue for the Lower North bars at 07.20 was a piss take,
  • As previously said it was a great night out.
    IF ONLY I COULD HAVE GOT A BEER!!!, The queue for the Lower North bars at 07.20 was a piss take,
    It was a piss take, because that's what they serve.