Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League 22/23

Comments

• Newcastle playing like a team who arent a top four side yet, they still dont have the quality.

But showed tonight why they're there
    I think that's very much the point. They don't have that difference at the other end of the pitch that the likes of Arsenal, City, Liverpool and even Spurs have but are making the most of what they do have through organisation and discipline.

That said, Newcastle's record stands up to scrutiny when compared to what is perceived as all of the "Big Six" bar Arsenal and City with Liverpool (scored 2 more goals but conceded 11 more), United (scored 5 less and conceded 9 more), Spurs (scored 1 more but conceded 14 more) and Chelsea (scored 12 less and conceded 7 more). 
  • Newcastle are missing their record signing Isak, who will make a big difference when he returns.

I've been really impressed with their defence, especially considering that his Bournemouth team played nice football but weren't very solid
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64160807

Jack Butland could be moving to Man U as their back up keeper. Still only 29, but his career seems to have fizzled out a bit
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64160807

Jack Butland could be moving to Man U as their back up keeper. Still only 29, but his career seems to have fizzled out a bit
    Strange signing, especially as they already have Tom Heaton.
  • Ross said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64160807

Need someone to replace Dubravka who has been recalled by Newcastle
  • Newcastle playing like a team who arent a top four side yet, they still dont have the quality.

But showed tonight why they're there
    In fairness when their owners took over about 14 months ago they probably thought it'd be at least 3-4 years before they'd be competing for top 4. At the time the aim was just to stay up.

So to be where they are just a year later is incredible, especially when you look through their squad. They probably only have 2-3 players who would interest the rest of the top 4.
  • Ross said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64160807

Need someone to replace Dubravka who has been recalled by Newcastle
    Which was an equally strange signing, when they already have Tom Heaton!
  • The third keeper covering lets them loan out youth keepers too.

It's such a cushy job, 3rd choice keeper at a big club.  Nice training facilities, good wages, no pressure, just get to enjoy yourself at training and have a great seat for some big matches etc.
    Robbie Elliott didn't go to Newcastle with that intention but with just 54 League starts in 9 years that is what ended up happening. Set him up for life though.  
  • I can't see why it's weird?  The big clubs usually have 3 keepers in case one (or both) of the others get injured, and half the time the 3rd one is English to fill up the homegrown quota.

Scott Carson at City at the moment, Rob Green, Joe Hart, Stuart Taylor, Lee Grant etc, they all had that role.

United had De Gea, Dubravka, Heaton so as one has gone they're bringing in a replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it's more because Nathan Bishop (their young GK) has been on the bench more than Tom Heaton already this season, when Martin Dubravka wasn't there. 

Maybe it should rather be the Tom Heaton signing was the weird one then, as he has only featured once in the Champions League, and not very often on the bench.
  • Ross said:
    I think it's more because Nathan Bishop (their young GK) has been on the bench more than Tom Heaton already this season, when Martin Dubravka wasn't there. 

Maybe it should rather be the Tom Heaton signing was the weird one then, as he has only featured once in the Champions League, and not very often on the bench.
    But that's the point of the 3rd choice, they won't feature much.

I take yoir point on Bishop though - maybe Butland might come in and they plan to loan Bishop out?
  • To be the 3rd choice keeper at a big club is a waste of a career if you're in your prime, even if financially it's great. I can understand it is you're say 35 though, and it's a good stepping stone if you want to become a GK coach.

When Rob Elliot looks back at his career, with just 222 games played, will it be with pride or a tinge of regret? Money is important of course, but surely all players want the glory that only comes from playing.
  • Yeah I agree, definitely a job best suited to players winding down a bit who'd rather get paid twice as much for an easy life as a PL third choice than getting paid less but playing behind players like Inniss watching them f*** up week after week!!
  • To be the 3rd choice keeper at a big club is a waste of a career if you're in your prime, even if financially it's great. I can understand it is you're say 35 though, and it's a good stepping stone if you want to become a GK coach.

When Rob Elliot looks back at his career, with just 222 games played, will it be with pride or a tinge of regret? Money is important of course, but surely all players want the glory that only comes from playing.
    It's a difficult decision - given that Elliott is highly unlikely to have got a number one at another PL Club, 9 years at say £50K per week is far more likely to have secured his future than say £10k in the Championship. 

The other aspect is, of course, that all the time you're third choice, you can't get dropped or sold. As a keeper, it's not as if you can play in a number of positions either unlike so many outfield players can do nowadays so first team opportunities are limited. One only has to look at what's happened to someone like MacGillvray to recognise that - he's gone from ever present at one League 1 club to, within two seasons, third choice at another. With an uncertain future and no guarantee of a contract at this level I bet he would love to be third choice at a PL or even Championship club on a long term contract on a lot more money.

There is, of course, another major benefit for a club having their third choice keeper as a homegrown player. It's no coincidence that the likes of Elliott, Carson, Butland, Heaton, Wright etc etc all qualified as such as it frees up one more place for a foreign player in the 25. 

Sounds like the dream job where he can settle down, stay at the club and be the number 3.

He is still technically playing his part for the club and is apart of the cogwheel. Back up is always a huge must.

1st team action of extreme crowd pressure, high expectations and constantly getting a booted in the face, plus injury risks...is it sometimes always worth doing?

Everyone wants to be number one and be the best at what they do, but he's playing it sensible to not take himself too seriously and can completely prioritise himself and his family needs. 
  • Dave2l said:
    To be the 3rd choice keeper at a big club is a waste of a career if you're in your prime, even if financially it's great. I can understand it is you're say 35 though, and it's a good stepping stone if you want to become a GK coach.

Sounds like the dream job where he can settle down, stay at the club and be the number 3.

He is still technically playing his part for the club and is apart of the cogwheel. Back up is always a huge must.

1st team action of extreme crowd pressure, high expectations and constantly getting a booted in the face, plus injury risks...is it sometimes always worth doing?

Everyone wants to be number one and be the best at what they do, but he's playing it sensible to not take himself too seriously and can completely prioritise himself and his family needs. 
    But isn't that why youngsters WANT to become professional footballers? Yes there are negatives, but also massive highs from playing against the big sides, playing in the big matches, making MOTM performances etc
  • Dave2l said:
    To be the 3rd choice keeper at a big club is a waste of a career if you're in your prime, even if financially it's great. I can understand it is you're say 35 though, and it's a good stepping stone if you want to become a GK coach.

This is a good point too, Rob Eliott stayed at Newcastle for 9 years, probably allowed him time to find a more permanent home, his family to settle, him not to have to choose between moving them around v living away from his family etc as some players.

All whilst on a better wage than he'd probably have got otherwise.
  • Dave2l said:

But isn't that why youngsters WANT to become professional footballers? Yes there are negatives, but also massive highs from playing against the big sides, playing in the big matches, making MOTM performances etc

Of course, there certainly are highs and none of them will want to waste their career just sitting on a bench, but sometimes it's best to just step back, accept the excellent wages and work within the big football club in the background.

He has the freedom to stroll around Newcastle without too many people recognising him and can live the best of both worlds.

Not that id know, but can assume his close ones are happy. 
  • One thing that I have grown to understand from my association with another sport is that the journey to becoming a pro can actually be more enjoyable than the reality of when you actually get there - the lower the level you go the more being a professional becomes that much different from any other job. As fans we tend to look at being a pro footballer through rose tinted glasses but they have the same pressures as that of a PL player without the same level of reward or adulation. They aren't on life changing money either and let's face the majority of players at League 2 and below could learn a trade that would pay them as much - and without the worry of whether they are going to get a new contract or not. So, to be involved at a United, City, Chelsea etc etc, training with some of the best players in the world, having the use of the best facilities and being supported by the best coaches and medical staff, staying in the best hotels, being on four or five times as much money and just having to train suddenly becomes a far more attractive proposition than fighting for a living for that next contract. 

As I have stated already this applies particularly to keepers. The vast majority of number ones in the PL are foreigners. There are also a number of clubs in the Championship where this is also true so, in all probability, there are only about 15-20 spots for home grown keepers to be first choice in the top two flights in English football. How many keepers nationwide do we think are chasing those spots? And you have to be at the top of your game to stay there too. Otherwise you could end up like a MacGillvray as I say. And people will no more remember a MacGilvray playing in League 2 or even the Conference than they will someone who is on £20K a week to sit in the stands at a PL CLub. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Arsenal playing attractive and exciting football .. BUT Arteta ? .. embarrassing antics, grow up f f s
  • Lovely header from Kane to score against the stripey c**ts... Can forgive him for the penalty miss against France now
  • Spurs fans singing “How shit must you be, we’ve gone 1 nil up” highlights just how poor they’ve been at the start of games this season.
  • Shocking defending when dealing with one of the best Strikers in the world.
  • World class finish for that second. 
    Love Kane. 
  • 0-3 Makes me glad all over!
  • Forest win at Southampton.

Not a good start for Nathan Jones, losing his first 4 PL games
  • 0-3 Makes me glad all over!
    0-4 Makes me even more glad all over!
  • Childish but this is a good watch 
  • Forest win at Southampton.

Not a good start for Nathan Jones, losing his first 4 PL games
    Southampton 0 shots on target
    Forest 1 shot on target