Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    He is going to be a top player. We will do very lucky to keep him in the summer. A lot of the top clubs are looking at him. Not just as a development player, but someone that can push next year. He is certainly the best player in a while
    That’s the problem. One of if not the best English teenager in football today.
    Once again Sandgaard got it wrong about him in July 2022. Pound to a penny he is on his way directly the season is over. 5 million with add ons. Not had a young striker like him since Watson that went to play for Sheffield Wed and Southampton. Both local lads.
    Well if he does go, which everybody seems certain will happen, then Peter Storrie was wasting his time promoting the season ticket offer. One other thing that people have forgotten, if a new owner is incoming, will he, after putting his feet under the desk for the first time, be making an agreement to sell the most valuable asset the club has, I get that every player has a price but there are other factors involved as well. I have always believed that the clubs youth will change the the playing fortunes of the club for the better, they are now coming into the first team and proving that in the time that Sandgaard was paying for new recruits, the youngsters we produce are better value than anything our owners can buy. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    He is going to be a top player. We will do very lucky to keep him in the summer. A lot of the top clubs are looking at him. Not just as a development player, but someone that can push next year. He is certainly the best player in a while
    That’s the problem. One of if not the best English teenager in football today.
    Once again Sandgaard got it wrong about him in July 2022. Pound to a penny he is on his way directly the season is over. 5 million with add ons. Not had a young striker like him since Watson that went to play for Sheffield Wed and Southampton. Both local lads.
    What did Sandgaard get wrong about Leaburn? He was bigging him up, he rated him so highly he didn’t think we needed another striker as he expected him to make a big impact.

He backed that up by giving him a 3 year contract when all the other youngsters signed 1 or 2 year deals.
    @scoham
    Non of what you said .
    Sandgaard didn’t even know what he had got in Leaburn let alone have faith in him.
    Leaburn will of course be a big pay day when sold. Something Sandgaard was not expecting back in July 2022 when my wife and I had a long discussion with him and his partner Raylyn.
  • TS played a blinder giving Miles a 3 year contract. Assuming that he doesn't have a buyout clause of £200k!

That means he'll have 2 years left on his contract in the summer, a decent length but one which is ticking down. I imagine his wages are low also, so a pay rise and extension might be a good thing is he stays this summer.
  • That last paragraph still makes no sense.
    Look at the side that was fielded beginning of season.

People still unable to work out why the season has gone the way it has.

Leaburn is a pot of gold now that will be sold but we all know will be worth a lot more in another 18 months.

Sandgaard still clueless regards English football.
  • edited April 2023
    That last paragraph still makes no sense.
    Look at the side that was fielded beginning of season.

People still unable to work out why the season has gone the way it has.

Leaburn is a pot of gold now that will be sold but we all know will be worth a lot more in another 18 months.

Sandgaard still clueless regards English football.
    Agree TS is clueless about English football in general and despite Leaburn's progress we still needed another good striker - that was obvious to the majority of fans all summer. Along with various other obvious mistakes like trying to change to a possession style, using Clayden as a left back etc.

That doesn't change that the club made the right decision to involve Leaburn in the first team and offered him a longer contract than others turning pro. However the credit really goes to Avory and the coaches who would have said he was ready for the first team.

• When I first saw Leaburn play, when i saw them in the cup games, they palyed him on the wing and thought Kanu will make the breakthrough.  When I then saw him make the first, you can see he was a little raw. Sometimes you see players, like Gomez, like Lookman, like Rufus, and you know straight away they are capable playing at a higher level. A bit like Mendonca. Every time I saw him play, you went to games wondering "what type of goal is he going to get today, not I wonder if Mendonca will score today".  With every game that passes now, I feel Leaburn is getting better and better with more experience. He is a good crosser of the ball as well. I wish we had Leaburn on the wing as well to create chances for himself.  BUT, when I see him score goals like he did yesterday with that goal in open play, it breaks my heart knowing that the chances of him staying get slimmer and slimmer with each game now. It does give me a buzz when I watch him play but I just know that buzz will fizzle out in the summer. 
  • Going round in circles here . That last paragraph of yours is totally different to the discussion Sandgaard had with us.

Sandgaard didn’t know what he had in Leaburn let alone have faith in him when we talked.

Agree with your thoughts about Sandgaard but I also know what he said back in July to my wife and myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• TS played a blinder giving Miles a 3 year contract. Assuming that he doesn't have a buyout clause of £200k!

That means he'll have 2 years left on his contract in the summer, a decent length but one which is ticking down. I imagine his wages are low also, so a pay rise and extension might be a good thing is he stays this summer.
    https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/charlton-athletic/

Take it with a huge pinch of salt but £580 a week according to this!

Someone really should be offering him a new deal!
  • If he is sold in the summer, it should be on the premise that we get him back on loan for a season or two!! 
  • edited April 2023
    TS played a blinder giving Miles a 3 year contract. Assuming that he doesn't have a buyout clause of £200k!

https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-one/charlton-athletic/

Take it with a huge pinch of salt but £580 a week according to this!

Someone really should be offering him a new deal!
    A typical first contract for an academy player expected to play a few Pizza Cup games, not someone who's now a key first team player. Him and Chuks need to swap salaries!
  • edited April 2023

Update

very interesting as Miles is being compared to most of the experienced and consistent strikers in the division .. there is NO doubt that he is a very fast developing talent .. AND he 's an ADDICK !!  :)o:):D

• Update

Does not score the right type of goal though 😉 

• As an aside, 3 Plymouth players on that list is very impressive. Plymouth have consistently have had impressive depth up front, rotating their strikers to keep them fresh and post different problems to the opposition.
  • I think Miles will still be here next season, potentially on a loan back from a prem club if we sell him. His parents will be well aware of other players that left too soon and got swallowed up by reserve team football.

A full season next year scoring 20 goals and he should stake a claim for a starting berth at a top end Champ/Lower prem team.
  • I think in a lot of ways Miles being sold to a higher tier team for a serious amount and being loaned back to us would be the most realistic and best option available to us.

That way we get to enjoy his development and profit from his goal-scoring whilst also getting the money for him that he will undoubtedly command when the window opens again.

I just can't envisage a situation where we don't sell him - the figures that will be being floated about will be too big for us to turn down and if we have a stipulation that we have him come back on a season long-loan then he can be nurtured and get game time at the same time then it will suit all parties, and the vested interests of Miles parents who I'm sure will be a strong voice in proceedings.
  • Sponsored links:

• If a Championship club went in for him, they wouldn't loan him back to us, as they'd want him in their first team squad, certainly for the first half of next season.

Imagine a team like Soton or Leicester get relegated, they could easily pay a decent fee with the money raised from selling their big name players.
  • If a Championship club went in for him, they wouldn't loan him back to us, as they'd want him in their first team squad, certainly for the first half of next season.

Imagine a team like Soton or Leicester get relegated, they could easily pay a decent fee with the money raised from selling their big name players.
    Cant see any championship club spending the ncessary money to get him. He would still be a risk and not many champ clubs even recentyl relegated ones can afford a 10m risk on a starting striker.
  • The best option for Charlton would be to keep miles for another season and see him develop into the player we believe he can become.
    Of course paying him the wages he deserves.
    If he were to improve into that player we could then sell him on to a higher club for a higher fee. 
    Trust Miles will do what is best 
    He would still only be 20 and injure free years ahead of him.

What is best for owner gambler on he improves as a player and stays free from injury or sell him now.
    I see no benefit for Charlton or the player bringing him back on loan.

Third option stay with Charlton and try to improve along with the team and gain promotion. Of course at the moment this option is out.

Anyway it’s down to Miles Leaburn ,remember his name and his first season playing for our first team. 

Wish you well Miles.
  • I think Miles will still be here next season, potentially on a loan back from a prem club if we sell him. His parents will be well aware of other players that left too soon and got swallowed up by reserve team football.

A full season next year scoring 20 goals and he should stake a claim for a starting berth at a top end Champ/Lower prem team.
    I agree but I think we should hold out till January before we sell. Will still have 18 months on his deal so we will get a good price and then that gives him 6 months to keep scoring and driving the price up. 

Loan back till end of next season has to be part of any deal as without him we will have no hope of promotion 

Cant see any championship club spending the ncessary money to get him. He would still be a risk and not many champ clubs even recentyl relegated ones can afford a 10m risk on a starting striker.
    You think anyone will be paying anywhere near £10m ?? Yes he has bundles of potential but nobody will be paying anywhere near that mate. 3 maybe 4 tops imo.
  • In August 2020 Ivan Toney went from Peterborough to Brentford for it seems an initial £5m, but with several million of potential addons, many already triggered. Plus a sell on clause

not to mention the golden parachute cash