Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• WSS said:
    I dread to think how his old man would’ve been treated if social media was around back in the day.

Miles has already scored 20% of his dad’s total goals for us and he played over 300 games for the club.
    Sadly I think you are right the abuse Carl got at times was terrible. Also it’s worth pointing out he started his career in the top flight and although far from a prolific goal scorer he was a great foil for strikers who played alongside him.
    Carl never played in L1 for us at all. It's really noticeable how strikers can be so much more prolific when dropping down a division
  • WSS said:
    I dread to think how his old man would’ve been treated if social media was around back in the day.

Miles has already scored 20% of his dad’s total goals for us and he played over 300 games for the club.
    Sadly I think you are right the abuse Carl got at times was terrible. Also it’s worth pointing out he started his career in the top flight and although far from a prolific goal scorer he was a great foil for strikers who played alongside him.
    Carl never played in L1 for us at all. It's really noticeable how strikers can be so much more prolific when dropping down a division
    Agreed, I think Miles is a great talent and quite a different type of player to his dad. But can you imagine a 19 year old Carl in the third division he would have absolutely bullied a lot of defences.
  • I dont think Miles will go anywhere for the time being. The club would be stupid to let him go the timing isnt right. Plus his family are switched on enough to realise give it another year and his stock with be higher. Sell him to Chelsea now to disappear into the ether or wait another year ? I know what I would do
  • AndyG said:
    I dont think Miles will go anywhere for the time being. The club would be stupid to let him go the timing isnt right. Plus his family are switched on enough to realise give it another year and his stock with be higher. Sell him to Chelsea now to disappear into the ether or wait another year ? I know what I would do
    The fact that that he's already been released by Chelsea will hopefully increase our chances of keeping him for another year.
  • AndyG said:
    I dont think Miles will go anywhere for the time being. The club would be stupid to let him go the timing isnt right. Plus his family are switched on enough to realise give it another year and his stock with be higher. Sell him to Chelsea now to disappear into the ether or wait another year ? I know what I would do
    There will be other alternative moves though, such as relegated PL teams with parachute money.

Suppose a team like Southampton get relegated, and sell a few of their best players. They could easily afford an £8m fee and offer a realistic chance of getting decent game time.
  • AndyG said:
    There will be other alternative moves though, such as relegated PL teams with parachute money.

Suppose a team like Southampton get relegated, and sell a few of their best players. They could easily afford an £8m fee and offer a realistic chance of getting decent game time.
    We’ll accept £2M and some ridiculous add ons. 
  • AndyG said:

Talking of Southampton, Miles seems to be quite similar to Che Adams. 

Adams was 19-20 at Sheffield United in his first season in the football league. According to Wikipedia he "finished the season with 12 goals from 41 appearances in all competitions, 11 from 36 in League One, and was named by the Sheffield Star as its Young Player of the Year." He moved to Birmingham for an undisclosed fee believed to be £2mill+...

Adams is 5ft 9. Miles is 6ft 5, same as Haaland. If Miles can 'grow into his body' and learn a bit of how to bully defenders from his dad, and watch Haaland videos on where/how to make his runs then he could become some player. Unfortunately, he is definitely going to be a player who will need to move on to truly meet his potential. 

• WSS said:

Carl was a bit of a standing joke amongst CAFC fans. T-sirts were even printed with "I've seen Carl Leaburn score". First couple of seasons he was poor - Bonnie poor. First 5 goals came in about 50 games - all with Park in their name (Upton, Villa, St James, Selhurst). Yes, he was playing in the top division but he wasn't ready & he really wasn't a threat up front. These days he would have been loaned out. He got better & found his level once we got relegated to the 2nd tier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    I think this will happen. 

Unfortunately, I thought roland and esi were the start of something special
  • I know I'll get pelters for saying it but I still dont see it. I admit he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time but his last 2 goals even Bonne could score.....2 taps ins from a total distance of around 6 yards.  Again, I'll admit he's our best striker this season (although a fully fit Aneke would beat him into a cocked hat) but imo he'll never be a top striker. Championship striker at best. He's tall & fairly quick (but not express) but not what I'd call a top goalscorer. I wouldn't be basing my team around him. 

There, said it. 
    I agree with the sentiment in as far as he isn’t yet proven / developed enough to know he will be a top player. Let’s not forget we are a bang average team in the 3rd division and that is the context of any performance he puts in. 

BUT the potential is there and by far the highlight of our season. We can be optimistic he will get better and better. 

If a silly bid comes in we have to take it. And indeed so should he given the fickle nature of football. 
  • Who knows whether we will get a full season out of him next year but he is destined to play for England u 21 
  • edited March 2023
    I will be gutted if he’s not here next year. If he’s this good now, he will be a monster in 12 months.

If he is sold, hopefully it’s to a top six club who are willing to splash near eight figures and loan him back…
  • I know I'll get pelters for saying it but I still dont see it. I admit he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time but his last 2 goals even Bonne could score.....2 taps ins from a total distance of around 6 yards.  Again, I'll admit he's our best striker this season (although a fully fit Aneke would beat him into a cocked hat) but imo he'll never be a top striker. Championship striker at best. He's tall & fairly quick (but not express) but not what I'd call a top goalscorer. I wouldn't be basing my team around him. 

There, said it. 
    Must be a slow day. He's clearly a championship striker, he's maybe a premiership striker but it's a bit early to say.

Is he a top world striker and I agree with you I've not seen that level of dominance yet from him albeit in a predominantly fucking shite side that can't even pretend to put Wycombe to the sword. 

Chances are against it, I'm sure you could find a decent betting firm that'd give you hopefully decent odds on >10 England goals. 
  • I will be gutted if he’s not here next year. If he’s this good now, he will be a monster in 12 months.

If he is sold, hopefully it’s to a top six club who are willing to splash near eight figures and loan him back…
    Hope you are right re the money but if he goes to the prem I see him somewhere like villa or Fulham.
  • NabySarr said:
    I know I'll get pelters for saying it but I still dont see it. I admit he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time but his last 2 goals even Bonne could score.....2 taps ins from a total distance of around 6 yards.  Again, I'll admit he's our best striker this season (although a fully fit Aneke would beat him into a cocked hat) but imo he'll never be a top striker. Championship striker at best. He's tall & fairly quick (but not express) but not what I'd call a top goalscorer. I wouldn't be basing my team around him. 

There, said it. 
    Deserve pelters for this opinion. He has everything needed to be a premier league striker. The only thing that will stop him getting there is his injury record. 6ft 5, quick, presses well, decent technically and will improve in that regard and he has shown he can finish pretty well and score different types of goals. We probably already had bids in January and will get more in the summer, he is destined for the premier league. Just hope we can hold on to him in the summer and then sell in January with a loan back so we get another season out of him 

Then my definition of a striker must be different to yours and a few others on here. 

His dad even played in the Premier League so there is still hope for him. But like Burstow before him, if he gets signed by a team in that League I doubt he'll play in it. 

But that's just my opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I will be gutted if he’s not here next year. If he’s this good now, he will be a monster in 12 months.

Hope you are right re the money but if he goes to the prem I see him somewhere like villa or Fulham.

Could see Brighton being a pretty strong option, although he might be a bit too similar to Evan Ferguson. If he goes to the Prem, I'd just want it to be somewhere where he's not just going to be stashed away playing U23 football. 

• You can see the lad is learning and if you take money out of the equation, whilst that is the case, he is best playing first team football here and to continue learning in an environment he is comfortable in. Moving upwards for the money can backfire and end up losing a player money in the long run.

The time for a move to a higher club is when you are bought to step straight into their first team.
  • He should stay with us and next season will be a massive one for him I suspect. 
  • edited March 2023
    That pass to DJ for his goal away (somewhere), the backhealed goal and some beastily headers show a player with quite some potential and variety to his game. 
  • still young and raw but has all the attributes to be an absolutely top player. I hope we can get at least 1 more full season out of him.

• Given his age it's really hard to know his level.
    It's certainly above this.