Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/not-for-sale-charlton-athletic-boss-responds-to-young-striker-miles-leaburns-transfer-link-to-aston-villa/

Holden told the South London Press: “Miles is not for sale.

“Miles is a fantastic young player who has got lots to learn still. He’s somebody I love working with. It’s just speculation.”

• edited April 2023
    Didn’t give it much weight in the S*n but now Pete O’Rourke is on it, it’s a different story.

“The Midlands giants also spent big money in January to bring 19-year-old Colombian international striker Jhon Duran to the club.

Duran, who cost a reported initial fee of £14.5million, is the backup to red-hot striker Ollie Watkins as Villa push for European qualification this season.”
  • For the benefit of his own career he needs to get away from this cesspit of a club.
    Any sensible owner would use Miles' transfer fee to fund a promotion push next season, but sensible owners and Charlton don't go together.
    Just don't get comments like this.  This "cesspit" of a club have given him a chance, given him his first contract, put him in the first team, seen him through his injuries and helped him along the way.  They employ his mum in a job she appears to enjoy.  I doubt Miles or the Leaburn family see us as a cesspit.
    Plus a sensible owner whom is £20M down on his "investment" with no end in sight would most likely pocket the cash in part repayment of their loans.  Am emotional investor or a gambler or a money is no object owner would lob the whole lot back on more players.
    We are shit at the moment and poorly run but the club does still have a heartbeat, a tremendously successful academy, a wonderful community trust, a superb stadium, and some great employees (like Tracy). I find it tiresome reading so many comments about what a cesspit we are.
    We just need to strike it lucky with a super rich owner,.one dare I say it, like the Millwall bloke whom is happy to chuck.more than £200M at his whim.
    We have been turned into a cesspit of a club by a succession of shit owners.
    We didn't give Miles his chance out of the goodness of our heart, we did it because we were/are being run on the cheap. We struck lucky.
    Perhaps that bit of luck that you say we need with a super rich owner is just around the corner. I doubt it somehow.
    The heartbeat is getting fainter as each day passes.

No we haven't.  We have been turned into an underperforming, poorly run club. I am not happy about it and desperately want us to be better than we currently are but this constant over dramatisation and talking down of our club is a nonsense.

Did we strike lucky? Out of all our kids Leaburn was given the longest contract, taken on pre season.  The people in charge could clearly see his potential.  
    The club is a mess and a total shambles.
  • Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/not-for-sale-charlton-athletic-boss-responds-to-young-striker-miles-leaburns-transfer-link-to-aston-villa/

Holden told the South London Press: “Miles is not for sale.

“Miles is a fantastic young player who has got lots to learn still. He’s somebody I love working with. It’s just speculation.”

With all due respect to Dean, the decision, IF there is a transfer decision to make, won't be down to him!
  • Dean Holden saying that Miles is not for sale this summer. Will be the perfect test for new owners, accepting of course that should Miles want out then there’s not much we can do about it. I’m also pretty damned sure Aston Villa won’t be the only suitors. 
  • Swisdom said:
    If we show ambition, and if Miles can keep learning, he is more likely to stay.

if it’s going to be a shoestring budget again he’ll be off

if a £7-£10m offer came in I think we’d listen but it MUST go into the team and not be used to offset debt.  Otherwise what’s the point in the academy if it’s not to reinvest and keep it going and improving?
    I am certain Leaburn will leave if he gets a life changing offer.  It is how it works.
  • Swisdom said:

if a £7-£10m offer came in I think we’d listen but it MUST go into the team and not be used to offset debt.  Otherwise what’s the point in the academy if it’s not to reinvest and keep it going and improving?
    Isn't part of the point of the academy though  to produce players to sell on, this covering the losses?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:

I am certain Leaburn will leave if he gets a life changing offer.  It is how it works.
    Could be. But he's got a footballer father who played here, a mum who works here. People have spoken to his dad and his dad said he needs another season at this level before he moves on. I'm sure Carl and Miles will be aware of the trappings of moving up too fast and not playing.

Of course, someone buying him and loaning him back to us would probably be the biggest possibility.
  • edited April 2023
    Chunes said:
    Swisdom said:

Could be. But he's got a footballer father who played here, a mum who works here. People have spoken to his dad and his dad said he needs another season at this level before he moves on. I'm sure Carl and Miles will be aware of the trappings of moving up too fast and not playing.

Of course, someone buying him and loaning him back to us would probably be the biggest possibility.
    Miles and Carl will know exactly that Miles needs another season in league one before stepping up. Every Premiership club will also know that and it won’t stop them from bidding on a talent in the full knowledge that he’ll go out on loan to a league one club anyway. Probably for a few years at league one then Championship. That’s how this will pan out as sure as god made little green apples. Our biggest hope is that it’s us that’s he goes to on loan and maybe just maybe stays with us in The Championship the season after. Not quite sure how Carl would advise his son not to take life changing money when it’s offered. Footballers careers often hang by a thread. If money comes in for Miles he’d be nuts not to take it. 
  • Didn’t give it much weight in the S*n but now Pete O’Rourke is on it, it’s a different story.

“The Midlands giants also spent big money in January to bring 19-year-old Colombian international striker Jhon Duran to the club.

Duran, who cost a reported initial fee of £14.5million, is the backup to red-hot striker Ollie Watkins as Villa push for European qualification this season.”
    Instead of Leaburn, can't they simply sign two Durans?
  • https://www.playmakerstats.com/news.php?id=467598

PROLIFIC CHARLTON TEENAGER MAKES THE CUT
    'Playmaker's EFL 72': #58 Miles Leaburn

With the current campaign entering its final straight, Playmaker has - after carefully assessing the runners and riders - ranked the top 72 players from across the EFL this season.  
    Those who followed 'The Playmaker 72' last season know the drill: this is less a countdown of the 'best' footballers across the EFL, more a celebration of those players who have lit up the Championship, League One and League Two throughout 2022/23. 
    To once again paraphrase the great Jeffrey 'The Dude' Lebowski, these are just, like, our opinions, man - and we will do our utmost to back up them up with facts, stats and analysis. 
    We're off to south London next to profile a burgeoning young English talent...

Number 58: Miles Leaburn (Charlton Athletic)

They may be 11th in League One, but Charlton Athletic (37%) have the best shots-on-target % in the division this season - and teenage strike sensation Miles Leaburn has certainly played his part.  
    Tipped as a future starlet after crossing the Thames to join Charlton's academy from Chelsea in 2019, the son of former Addicks forward Carl Leaburn has enjoyed a breakthrough season in 2022/23, scoring 11 goals and counting in the third tier.  
    Measuring in at 6ft 5in, Leaburn is quickly growing in stature at senior level, a goal on his debut against Accrington on the opening day of the season announcing his arrival. 

CURRENT teenagers to score most league goals in 22/23

Miles Leaburn (19 y/o, Charlton) - 11 goals
    Dale Taylor (19 y/o, Burton) - 5 goals
    Conor Bradley (19 y/o, Bolton) - 5 goals
    Evan Ferguson (18 y/o, Brighton) - 5 goals

The 19-year-old is reportedly attracting interest from Premier League clubs, such as Aston Villa, and it is no surprise when you delve deeper into his stats this season.  
    Although he may not be competing with the likes of Jonson Clarke-Harris at the top of the L1 goal charts, it is evident that Leaburn knows where the back of the net is - and his shots-on-target stats and strike rate testify to the fact.  
    Of his 31 appearances this term, 17 have been off the bench, but Leaburn has made his minutes count: scoring a goal on average every 132 minutes.  
    What makes that feat even more impressive is that Leaburn ranks 115th in League One for shots taken this season! However, of the 35 shots he has fired goalwards, 22 have been on target. So, 60% of his shots have hit the target; 31% have gone in.  
     It's been a hugely impressive start to Leaburn's fledgling career and speculation is already swirling regarding him leaving The Valley this summer. 
    Charlton boss Dean Holden, for now at least, is unequivocal on the subject.  
    "Miles is not for sale," Holden told the South London Press this week. “Miles is a fantastic young player who has got lots to learn still (and) somebody I love working with. It’s just speculation.”
    Wow that shots on target % is amazing! Much higher than nearly all strikers in Prem/EFL. Should he be shooting more though? 

He doesn’t often shoot from outside the box, though he did once yesterday and there was another occasion I thought he should have but he passed. Hopefully he can add that to his game, once he has that and also works on his left foot he will almost be the complete striker 
  • Swisdom said:

He'd be mad to turn down the opportunity to play for Villa
  • Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

Would he get game time? I think he would be made in joining villa U-23 when he can have another season of first team football
  • Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

Won't be the only club interested, could be bigger clubs or others offering a lot more game time.
  • Can see a potential loan back deal happening. However, if Villa were to spend big on him they might want to send him out on loan in the Championship.
  • Sponsored links:

• How does DH know he will not be sold, unless he has spoken to the new owners?
  • Can see a potential loan back deal happening. However, if Villa were to spend big on him they might want to send him out on loan in the Championship.
    I'd think the Championship would be the ideal level for him to play at. No point in peeing about in League One anymore. As much as I'd love to see him at Charlton for another year, he's better than that. Probably not ready for the Prem yet, but six months in the Championship might be all he needs. 
  • Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

Would he get game time? I think he would be made in joining villa U-23 when he can have another season of first team football
    One of the attributes of most professional footballers, aside from being decent at football, is a very strong (sometimes pathological) sense of self belief. You and I know Leaburn probably won’t play much for Aston Villa next season if he goes there - he might not be so sure about that.

Either way, if you play for a League One club and the Premier League comes calling you can’t turn it down. 
  • ross1 said:
    How does DH know he will not be sold, unless he has spoken to the new owners?
    Holden has to say this.
  • Scoham said:
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

Won't be the only club interested, could be bigger clubs or others offering a lot more game time.
    And more money, which is all it is about.
  • se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

One of the attributes of most professional footballers, aside from being decent at football, is a very strong (sometimes pathological) sense of self belief. You and I know Leaburn probably won’t play much for Aston Villa next season if he goes there - he might not be so sure about that.

Either way, if you play for a League One club and the Premier League comes calling you can’t turn it down. 
    Steve Bull did. A true football hero.
  • Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:

I doubt he'd get near their team though. Watkins is obviously first choice and they have Dhuran.

They will also have Cameron Archer returning from loan. he's got 9 in 17 on loan at Middlesbrough and 4 in 5 for England U21s so will surely also be ahead of Leaburn.

Of course if he gets a life changing offer he'll probably go but he will have to weigh up how often he'll play. If Archer is getting loaned out then Leaburn almost certainly will too. Then again i think pretty much any PL club interested in signing him would sign him and then loan him to the championship.
  • edited April 2023
    I don'y know if anynody noticed at Milton Keynes but in the shooting warm up before the game, Leaburn's efforts were sublime. On a different level.
  • ross1 said:
    How does DH know he will not be sold, unless he has spoken to the new owners?
    Presumably the same new owners that convinced him it was worth signing a 3 year deal.