Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• edited April 2023
    Chunes said:
    @Swisdom Do you know why Chelsea let him go? Seems unlikely they would've done had he been 6'6 at the time no? Still seems like an odd one given that he apparently had 24 teams after him upon release.
    100 players ahead of him?

maybe being part of an academy of that size, he wasnt progressing and has only developed as a player since he has been here?
    Yeah but Chelsea's academy is not primarily for producing players for their first team, it's a money spinner innit. They stockpile players, loan them for fees and then sell them. So to tell him he's not wanted seems strange given his profile now.

Swisdom said:
    Chunes said:
    @Swisdom Do you know why Chelsea let him go? Seems unlikely they would've done had he been 6'6 at the time no? Still seems like an odd one given that he apparently had 24 teams after him upon release.
    @Chunes He had an issue with his knee - related to growth.  It meant he missed a lot of game time....and ultimately meant they were not patient enough so let him go.

There were a lot of clubs interested and he had quite a few trials.  I'm fairly sure he got a few ofers too but, importantly, he chose to sign with us.

If he continues to learn, and if the club show good intentions, there is no reason he won't be here next season.

But if we are scraping the barrel with signings and nothing appears to be improving then he's got to think of his career and what and where he will learn the most.
    Cheers mate. Always appreciate your input. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

maybe being part of an academy of that size, he wasnt progressing and has only developed as a player since he has been here?
    Yeah but Chelsea's academy is not primarily for producing players for their first team. It's a money spinner. They stockpile players, loan them for fees and then sell them. So to tell him he's not wanted seems strange given his profile now.

Swisdom said:
    Chunes said:
    @Chunes He had an issue with his knee - related to growth.  It meant he missed a lot of game time....and ultimately meant they were not patient enough so let him go.

There were a lot of clubs interested and he had quite a few trials.  I'm fairly sure he got a few ofers too but, importantly, he chose to sign with us.

If he continues to learn, and if the club show good intentions, there is no reason he won't be here next season.

But if we are scraping the barrel with signings and nothing appears to be improving then he's got to think of his career and what and where he will learn the most.
    Sometimes premier league teams get it wrong. Players drop down to our leave l and do well.

we've done it. I've forgotten the guys name, he was a centre half  we released when in the premiership and he went to Brentford then had a premier league career. 
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah but Chelsea's academy is not primarily for producing players for their first team. It's a money spinner. They stockpile players, loan them for fees and then sell them. So to tell him he's not wanted seems strange given his profile now.

Swisdom said:
    Chunes said:

Sometimes premier league teams get it wrong. Players drop down to our leave l and do well.

we've done it. I've forgotten the guys name, he was a centre half  we released when in the premiership and he went to Brentford then had a premier league career. 
    Definitely. Seems like they got it very wrong with this one!
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Yeah but Chelsea's academy is not primarily for producing players for their first team, it's a money spinner innit. They stockpile players, loan them for fees and then sell them. So to tell him he's not wanted seems strange given his profile now.
    Chelsea also let JRS go, I guess as much as they stockpile players they can only keep so many.

All clubs make mistakes, Semi Ajayi and Jordan Zemura never played for our first team while we gave debuts to countless others who have fallen into non-league.

More recently we released Terrell Agyemang and he then signed for Man City.
  • To be honest, it is very unlikely Miles is going to go down in value and he is also very likely to be a more complete player next season which will make it impossible to hang on to him and he could become worth 3 or 4 times more than he is now. It would be stupid to let him go before next season for this reason and also, he is a player no League One club can afford and what a great thing to have a striker like that if we are going to try to get promoted. 
  • Whilst I have no time for our current owner, but do have time for Miles and his family, it must be difficult for them to make the right decision on his future. Footballers have a short earning period and there is always the risk of injury so does the owner cash in now and what advice do the parents give Miles?  
    The thing I don't understand is that Miles has a contract of a year or two, can the owner just sell him against his and his families wishes or can he/they refuse a transfer, which I guess opens another can of worms in that if there is a refusal the manager may be instructed not to play him.

• I'm sure Tracey and Carl can see Miles developing nicely and will give him great advice. Look at Burstow , I'm sure for his development as a player , he would have been better off staying and learning for another year. He will be enjoying his increased salary but I don't think it was a good career move for him.
  • Chunes said:

maybe being part of an academy of that size, he wasn't progressing and has only developed as a player since he has been here?
    and using Burstow as an example, he was on their books, got released but is always on their radar so they can still buy cheap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst I have no time for our current owner, but do have time for Miles and his family, it must be difficult for them to make the right decision on his future. Footballers have a short earning period and there is always the risk of injury so does the owner cash in now and what advice do the parents give Miles?  
    The thing I don't understand is that Miles has a contract of a year or two, can the owner just sell him against his and his families wishes or can he/they refuse a transfer, which I guess opens another can of worms in that if there is a refusal the manager may be instructed not to play him.

The player has to agree to any move. 
  • To be honest, it is very unlikely Miles is going to go down in value and he is also very likely to be a more complete player next season which will make it impossible to hang on to him and he could become worth 3 or 4 times more than he is now. It would be stupid to let him go before next season for this reason and also, he is a player no League One club can afford and what a great thing to have a striker like that if we are going to try to get promoted. 
    This summer he has 2 years left on his contract. In a year's time, unless he renews, that will be down to 1 year which will impact his transfer fee.

We need to offer him a new longer deal.
    This summer he has 2 years left on his contract. In a year's time, unless he renews, that will be down to 1 year which will impact his transfer fee.

We need to offer him a new longer deal.
    He’d be mad to sign it if we did. 
  • I think he is our ticket to promotion next season. Look at his goals and how he has developed. Of course we can't keep him for long but if he gets us promoted and a massive pay day we will support the lad wherever he goes.
  • He seems to pick up a niggle every other week. Hopefully that's to do with adjusting into his new height. 
  • Chunes said:
    He seems to pick up a niggle every other week. Hopefully that's to do with adjusting into his new height. 
    Hopefully its timed with when the Scouts come to watch ;)
  • I was watching a basketball documentary on Netflix and these taller athletes are constantly struggling with injuries. Gravity isn't too kind on people with legs so long. Most of them just learn to just play through the pain or they'll always be out injured. By the time their careers finish, they are pretty busted up.
  • Chunes said:
    He seems to pick up a niggle every other week. Hopefully that's to do with adjusting into his new height. 
    Whilst I think he’s an unreal talent, then needs as much game time -his goals will come naturally- I do wonder whether he’ll be in a similar boat to Chris Solly.

niggly injuries often then stops his from really reaching true potential and making the step up

obviously way to early to see 
  • Sponsored links:

• For the benefit of his own career he needs to get away from this cesspit of a club.
    Any sensible owner would use Miles' transfer fee to fund a promotion push next season, but sensible owners and Charlton don't go together.
    To be fair the lunatics and egotists would do the same with the fee we should be able to get for him. They just wouldn’t spend enough and/or get it spectacularly wrong.
  • For the benefit of his own career he needs to get away from this cesspit of a club.
    Any sensible owner would use Miles' transfer fee to fund a promotion push next season, but sensible owners and Charlton don't go together.
    Sell him but only with a loan back. We can use the money to build a promotion winning team and still have him up front scoring 20 goals next season
  • edited April 2023
    NabySarr said:
    For the benefit of his own career he needs to get away from this cesspit of a club.
    Sell him but only with a loan back. We can use the money to build a promotion winning team and still have him up front scoring 20 goals next season
    I don’t think those types of deals happen as often as you’d think, certainly not in the summer. Whomever buys him will probably want him playing at a higher level than mid-table L1. 
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:
    For the benefit of his own career he needs to get away from this cesspit of a club.
    I don’t think those types of deals happen as often as you’d think, certainly not in the summer. Whomever buys him will probably want him playing at a higher level than mid-table L1. 
    Agreed. A PL club might loan the L1 player back for half a season, if the deal was done in January (as with Spurs and Dele, and us with Burstow) but with a summer move, they'd want the player there for the start of preseason before deciding what to do with him. 

And why would a player want to move to a PL club in July, then be loaned straight back again to the same club? 
  • se9addick said:
    NabySarr said:
    We can surely make that part of the deal though. There’s going to be multiple PL clubs in for him probably so we should be able to use that to our advantage. At least one of them will agree to it so that they can sign him ahead of the others, and it guarantees him football which he may not get guaranteed at championship level yet