Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager odds

Comments

• Dave Rudd said:
    One last try ...

Sandgaard, you have now got it badly wrong twice.

Adkins.

Jackson.

The scientific interpretation would be that your process is wrong.

So ... before you get it wrong a third time (and just think of the cost that would involve) ... get your process right.

You do not have the background, or experience or the vision to make the right call.

One last try ...

GET SOME PEOPLE AROUND YOU WHO KNOW FOOTBALL.

Not your son (despite his hard shot).

Not Ron Dangerfield (despite his bushy beard).

Not De Souza (despite his misspelled PowerPoint slides).

Ignore this at your peril.  But I will not bother again.  If you are that ignorant, and that arrogant ... well.  I'll leave it there.

Apart from ...

GET SOME PEOPLE AROUND YOU WHO KNOW FOOTBALL.  BECAUSE YOU DO NOT.
    Do you really think they were the root cause of our problems? Or just maybe if you ask Ronnie O'Sullivan to play snooker with a cricket bat on a wonky table with one pocket he might not fair too well either!

We'll never know whether either of those two could have done better, because both were hamstrung by the owners insistence in meddling, recruitment, employing his son, blah blah blah. Sadly even if he does employ football people, he still has to listen to them!

Wake up and smell the coffee people, the problem isn't inherently the manager/s, but the tools the managers is given, both on and off the field. Thats not changing anytime soon!
  • Would like Warburton but not convinced he would drop to L1.  Beale seems the most likely from the list to me.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    One last try ...

Adkins.

Jackson.

So ... before you get it wrong a third time (and just think of the cost that would involve) ... get your process right.

You do not have the background, or experience or the vision to make the right call.

One last try ...

Ignore this at your peril.  But I will not bother again.  If you are that ignorant, and that arrogant ... well.  I'll leave it there.

Apart from ...

Do you really think they were the root cause of our problems? Or just maybe if you ask Ronnie O'Sullivan to play snooker with a cricket bat on a wonky table with one pocket he might not fair too well either!

We'll never know whether either of those two could have done better, because both were hamstrung by the owners insistence in meddling, recruitment, employing his son, blah blah blah. Sadly even if he does employ football people, he still has to listen to them!

Wake up and smell the coffee people, the problem isn't inherently the manager/s, but the tools the managers is given, both on and off the field. Thats not changing anytime soon!
    Well, you are kind of re-enforcing the point, aren't you?

Let's assume that Adkins and Jackson are/were wonderful.  That makes Sandgaard's judgement even worse.  He sacks the (wonderful) managers while the problem is the squad etc.

Same solution, Thomas.

• I'm going for Warburton.
  • edited May 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    One last try ...

Adkins.

Jackson.

One last try ...

Apart from ...

Do you trust him to find the right people within football to get advice from?
    I have no idea.

But Step 1 would be for Sandgaard to realise the problem, and then to speak to others who might help him.

The problem is arrogance, not contacts.
    And that’s exactly why some compare him to RD. Although very different they’re two owners determined to do things their own way and appoint people that no one else in football would.

Wigan on the other hand appointed a CEO with plenty of football experience and although they took a gamble on a young manager they put together a very strong squad which gave him the opportunity to succeed.

I can understand Jackson being replaced but am concerned about who will replace him and our recruitment this summer.

I get the feeling this is his last roll of the dice, I can’t see him putting £5-10m in every year to stay in League 1 if we keep failing.
  • Beale’s gone from 12s to 5s
    Another ex-Brentford which probably appeals to TS.
    In the interest of balance I don't think it's right to rule out Hovis or Allied at this stage.
  • Sponsored links:

I’ve heard he’s a pain
  • Hughtons a good shout.
  • edited May 2022
    Neil Harris. Gave a brutally honest assessment of Gillingham's season on Quest at the weekend. Not happy.
    Or Rowett.
    Or Jackett. Any of those most likely for me. Each way bet?
  • Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Scoham said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    One last try ...

Adkins.

Jackson.

One last try ...

Apart from ...

Do you trust him to find the right people within football to get advice from?
    I have no idea.

But Step 1 would be for Sandgaard to realise the problem, and then to speak to others who might help him.

The problem is arrogance, not contacts.
    And that’s exactly why some compare him to RD. Although very different they’re two owners determined to do things their own way and appoint people that no one else in football would.

Wigan on the other hand appointed a CEO with plenty of football experience and although they took a gamble on a young manager they put together a very strong squad which gave him the opportunity to succeed.

I can understand Jackson being replaced but am concerned about who will replace him and our recruitment this summer.

I get the feeling this is his last roll of the dice, I can’t see him putting £5-10m in every year to stay in League 1 if we keep failing.
    Schoolboy error, @Scoham.

Just like Roland, Sandgaard 'doesn't do failure'.

He managed to buy us due to his determination and is going to be here for 100 years.

Source?

Sandgaard spoke to Jim White and Natalie Sawyer on TalkSport this lunchtime and here is what he had to say when he was quizzed on his long-term ambitions and how long he thinks he will be at the club for.

“Let’s put a big round number on it and call it 100 years, after the stability is in place, I hope we can do a Leicester, where we can blow everybody’s minds and get to play some European football, but it will take a while”.

That comment alone made Charlton fans smile and think about what the future could hold. We do need actions more than words, but so far the words are enjoyable enough to think about Charlton being in the Champions League, but I do remember Sandgaard saying somewhere that he believes in “actions speak louder than words” so let’s hope that’s true too.

@JamesSeed check : Pinch of salt?
  • Beale or Duff for me.
  • Would be keen to have Warburton here but I just don't think I could endure the bread-based puns EVERY week! 
  • If management team was based on who you would like as manager rather than if they would actually be any good I'd have Mark Kinsella with Brownie as his assistant. 

Back in reality ...I'd simply go for a proven manager that has shown they can get the most out of moderate talent and knows this division inside out. To that end ...Karl Robinson seems to keep popping up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Beale is by far and away my No1 candidate , young progressive tactically clever coach who seems incredibly switched on. 

Honestly find a lot of those names on the odds list quite uninspired but someone like Michael Carrick at 20s would be an interesting move and probably fits the mould for what TS is after. 
  • Greenie said:
    Neil Lennon 
    No no no no no no no no….
    There is a limit then?
  • Actions always speak louder than words.
  • I want someone with no connections to Charlton. 
  • Beale’s gone from 12s to 5s
    More driven by fans putting bets on rather than inside I expect, but the sort of appointment I’d like to see.
    I’ve heard he’s a pain
    Du Vin?
  • I'd be happy with Ferguson, Warburton or Beale.

I'd not be happy with Lee Johnson, and if it's Millwall legend Harris then i'd imagine a lot of fans will not bother going.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Michael Beale is by far and away my No1 candidate , young progressive tactically clever coach who seems incredibly switched on. 

Honestly find a lot of those names on the odds list quite uninspired but someone like Michael Carrick at 20s would be an interesting move and probably fits the mould for what TS is after. 
    Agree with Beale. I reckon we’d get some good villa and rangers youngsters on loan too. Carrick-On the other hand we might as well kept Jackson as manager.