Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Maybe. He lacks that 10% of fight and another 10% of savvy. he doesn't take care laying off the ball or win balls in the air and the one strength of finishing seems to have left him. He shouldn't be starting anyway. We could have played an extra midielder today.
  • Burstow is a boy playing against men. I'm not so much talking about his age, but the way he plays. That is what it looks like. We really need Washington back quickly.
    I reckon his mind has moved on to Stamford Bridge .. taking no risks he DOES NOT want to sustain an injury .. I've said before, he should not be in the team
    I disagree totally. Burstow without doubt is trying 100% he’s just so green. Doesn’t understand that being a striker is more than just scoring goals. Hasn’t learnt how to affect matches with his running, pressing or holding the ball up. Can’t fault him at all as the game passes him by. Compare him to Washington who is a highly intelligent football who is an international footballer.
  • edited March 2022

cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.

But they didn't win...
  • I suspect it is because he is green rather than not trying. It would help him if he was a bullying dirty bastard but he doesn't look physically strong to me.
  • Much better defensively, but Lavelle’s throw ins! 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

Also thanks for your diagnosis of my mental health Dr Freud. Stay classy.
    So it's OK for you to make things up about other people.  Hypocrisy at its best. 

No one is negative about the result.  People are rightly or wrongly not overly enthusiastic about the performance.

Before the match I said Stewart would be licking his lips playing against Pearce and Gunter.  What do you think I would have preferred, him scoring the chances he missed and saying "I told you so" or him missing them and us getting a point? 
    Have I made anything up about other people? Go back and read it again.

I'm also not attempting to label anyone with things like "pathetic" or saying they have "warped minds". That's all you so don't try and deflect.
    "some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so." 
    😉
  • We drew.

Not totally convincingly but we didn't lose.

We were second best but there was a lot more fight, perhaps because Pearce and Stockley were back, and confidence grew the longer the game went
    on.

And we almost nicked a 94th minute winner.  As if that could happen v Sunderland.

Man of the Match DJ. Rarely got forward but stuck to his defensive role really well.
    Totally agree, especially with the last point. DJ might have not done much going forward (but only because as a team we didnt) but his defensive duties were mustard & my MOTM too.

Both Stockley & Burstow should have got their shots on target. Burstow should have lobbed the keeper as he was in no means land & I've still nor seen anything from him to say that he can play any higher than League 1. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok an unexpected point but what a bore fest ! This team look totally devoid of ideas and cant seembto string more than 2 passes together. Total hoofball which tbh we arent even very good at as we seldom win a second ball. I'm now in the try and build a style of play for next season now and I dont think the current set up have a clue. Unless things improve dramatically ( i dont necessarily mean results ) soon i doubt JJ will be seeing next season with us. If that happens hopefully we dont follow the hereditary title approach and give it to Jason. We need some fresh ideas and a playing style that isnt just plain boring
  • We've been playing 5-3-2 for some time now, but with wingers as the 2 "wing"/right backs. The proof has been in the number of overlapping runs and crosses delivered by these players on either side.

It's become turgid. Happy with the point, but still very surprised we have not shown any flexibility.
  • edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    Being satisfied with 0-0 at home in the third division sums things up to be honest, our expectations really have dropped.We had a bit of fight today, but absolutely zero quality. So many of our players need not to be in the Charlton red next season for us to improve.
    We absolutely can't get any results in any division we aren't in however well we play. Being satisfied with a draw against a team we could reasonably have expected to lose against seems reasonable.
    I dont know why you think we were comfortably expected to lose. Sunderland have been on a bad run just like us (although they did win last week) and have dropped from 3rd to 7th. 
    Whistfully wondering what it would be like to support a club that had such a slump it fell from 3rd - 7th to just a single point outside the play-offs.  Meanwhile ours went from what 12th - 16th and we are 7 points off the “top half”?

Nothing in those stats suggested we were favorites to win this one.  I’ll take a draw and a clean sheet, and move on.
  • edited March 2022
    Two toothless teams but both fully committed. 

Pearce and Stockley did well for us, as did all of the back line. 

The two subs made us far less of a threat and Gilbey was especially poor. 

Burstow struggled but I felt was just coming into it when he was taken off. I liked Championship Leko but he's a much lesser player now and was less of a threat than Burstow. 

Another very ordinary Valley experience but at least the team tried and were a bit physical in their approach. 
  • As with the last number of games you could tell within minutes, how Charlton were going to perform and we looked much more up for it and competitive.
    Sunderland were the better team but we grew into the game and earned a well fought point.
    Much better.
  • We partially stopped the rot against a playoff side. Will take it the shit we are in.
  • kentred2 said:
    Much better defensively, but Lavelle’s throw ins! 
    A centre back taking throws. They actually don't know how to do it. I watched him...he grips the sides of the ball...and actually did well to get it as far as he did! 
  • wmcf123 said:
    BigRedEvil said:q
    paulg1947 said:
    Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
    I'd try him in midfield. We are so weak there 
    No thanks .  He gets back in instead of Gunter 
    I wouldn't say Clare deserves to automatically come back in, as he wasn't playing that well himself before the red card
  • We had Gunter at right sided CB and Famewo on the bench….why?

crap game but we fought well, their 14 should’ve had a hat trick

DJ was superb today and MOM, 99% for his defensive side 

Burstow had absolutely zero interest out there today 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Assessment from Sunderland forum:

"Bitterly disappointing, that we couldn't comfortably beat, an absolute pile of dogshit."

"You can see why these are where they are mind. They are absolutely woeful."

"Even by League One standards, this is a whole different level of pathetic from Charlton."

"These are f***ing shocking"

"These are awful like"
    All good points - then you realise you live in Sunderland.
    Quite a nice part of the world. Lovely coastline. Whitburn’s very pretty. 
    Is it fuck, it’s a dump 
    You’ve been to Whitburn?!
  • Chilly day for a 0-0, point gained. 
  • paulg1947 said:
    Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
    No where hopefully. 
  • edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    Being satisfied with 0-0 at home in the third division sums things up to be honest, our expectations really have dropped.We had a bit of fight today, but absolutely zero quality. So many of our players need not to be in the Charlton red next season for us to improve.
    We absolutely can't get any results in any division we aren't in however well we play. Being satisfied with a draw against a team we could reasonably have expected to lose against seems reasonable.
    I dont know why you think we were comfortably expected to lose. Sunderland have been on a bad run just like us (although they did win last week) and have dropped from 3rd to 7th.

We were at home & played like a lower league side against a premiership side. Played for the 0-0 and showed very little attacking intent. If that is what TS deems to be exciting attacking football then I wont be buying a ST next season. 
    "Although they did win last week".   What they haven't done is lose their last 5 games
    . Sunderland are in a position to challenge for play offs.  We are hoping to avoid a relegation scrap.

• Oh fuck it  can't argue with psychosis
  • edited March 2022
    One point further away from relegation. A better team and  some better individual performances. Stopped the rot.

And seeing as the Thomas Sandgaard criticism logic applies to games  now. No, picking fault with the PERFORMANCE doesn't mean in not happy with the result, or that I want us to fail, or that I need to name a replacement, or do my coaching badges before having an opinion.  

It was a lucky draw, if Sunderland didn't have a Charlton vodoo hex they could have easily been 2 up going into half time. As a result, they weren't, we had our usual little spell of looking like a competent football team and could have nicked a goal ourselves. We're not a great side, we haven't been all season - including JJ glory spell. We try to pass around at the back and fail, we try long balls and fail. 

Someone said last week that as long as we beat the lesser teams we'll be alright, well if only beating the shit teams and getting lucky points home against the "big boys" is our benchmark for performing, we won't be anywhere near top 2 next season. 

Yeah yeah, I know "I'm not proper Charlton, name a replacement, where's your 8 million, don't be so entitled and expect more than bottom half 3rd division etc etc."
  • Although I feel like a fraud today because I couldn’t face going, my observations are - pleased that he dropped Morgan and Gilbey and brought Pearcey back ( I really dont understand why we ever drop him - for some kind of comparison look at Richard Wood ex of CAFC and still playing at centre half for Rotherham even though he’s old enough to to be Pearcey’s Dad )  If you look at our decent result spell under Jackson before - Morgan wasn’t even on the bench and Pearcey played most of the games. He is a warrior and a leader and makes the others try harder. 
    Finally whilst everyone seems to think that we were completely outplayed, Sunderland obviously didn’t create much because the Sky highlights show more chances for us than them.