Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

•  A well earned point from a good 'in form' team-- Not all 0-0 results are sterile and boring, but this one was. One of those 'non plus ' games. Some of the players lack quality for various reasons ,but all seemed to dig in as much as they could  and got a few, rare second balls .for a change. Some of the 'blocks' in defense were impressive, Dobson as well as Maccas goal -keeping MOM, in my opinion .Just wish that he would come out and punch clear, occasionally  The long balls and ' head tennis' forward ,gets us nowhere and usually turns the ball over We just need to get the ball into space more, and build from the back
  • edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

Also thanks for your diagnosis of my mental health Dr Freud. Stay classy.
    But that’s the problem, people are negative because keeping a promotion chasing side to 0-0 and taking a positive out of it, isn’t where we should be as a club in the third division, we should be challenging aswell. Yet we aren’t even close. So maybe the negativity is quite reasonable.
    It does not matter how good and how strong your team is, you’re never going to challenge and perform well in every game you play. 

The fact that we were on a bad losing run, and Sunderland were coming off the back of a confidence boosting win against Wigan yet we didn’t buckle like we normally do, which is cause for some positivity in my opinion.

The real test for me, for JJ and this bunch of players is the next set of games. They will be tough, but if we have anything about is they should be winnable. If we end up ‘scrapping’ 0-0 draws in them, then we really are dog. 
  • Can't catch Rotherham now, shame.
  • edited March 2022
    Happy days. Back to basics, defensive setup to stop the rot.
    Well played Jacko, exactly what was needed. Hopefully it comes sooner next time.
    For the kind of game it was, I enjoyed it. Sunderland pressed hard, but couldn't break us.
  • Struggle to see how thinking that another zero shot on target performance isn't good enough, must equate to wanting us to lose.

There's just no correlation between the two...
  • Assessment from Sunderland forum:

"Bitterly disappointing, that we couldn't comfortably beat, an absolute pile of dogshit."

"You can see why these are where they are mind. They are absolutely woeful."

"Even by League One standards, this is a whole different level of pathetic from Charlton."

"These are f***ing shocking"

"These are awful like"
    All good points - then you realise you live in Sunderland.
    Quite a nice part of the world. Lovely coastline. Whitburn’s very pretty. 
  • Assessment from Sunderland forum:

"Bitterly disappointing, that we couldn't comfortably beat, an absolute pile of dogshit."

"You can see why these are where they are mind. They are absolutely woeful."

"Even by League One standards, this is a whole different level of pathetic from Charlton."

"These are f***ing shocking"

"These are awful like"
    And yet they couldnt beat us,those lemons are bitter like,you'll never beat the Charlton..... On to the game,we deserved that point,thought we battled well,we were limited but we fought for everything and for that it was a point well won. Sunderland take the award for the biggest whingers of the season,pathetic antics and Pritchard shouldve been booked for that dive,so blatant,thought the ref,although not the worst we've seen this year,shouldve stood up to their moaning alot sooner. 
  • Sunderland are fighting for a playoff spot.

It sounds like a well earned point and it will give the dressing room a lift.

We probably more or less need 50 points.

3 wins and a draw in the 11 games remaining should be enough to cross us over the line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    Being satisfied with 0-0 at home in the third division sums things up to be honest, our expectations really have dropped.We had a bit of fight today, but absolutely zero quality. So many of our players need not to be in the Charlton red next season for us to improve.
    We absolutely can't get any results in any division we aren't in however well we play. Being satisfied with a draw against a team we could reasonably have expected to lose against seems reasonable.
    It’s only reasonable, in the context of our current form, and the quality of our current team.in The context of the overall picture of our squad and season it’s all pretty reasonably a pile of shit. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

So it's OK for you to make things up about other people.  Hypocrisy at its best. 

No one is negative about the result.  People are rightly or wrongly not overly enthusiastic about the performance.

Before the match I said Stewart would be licking his lips playing against Pearce and Gunter.  What do you think I would have preferred, him scoring the chances he missed and saying "I told you so" or him missing them and us getting a point? 
  • Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
  • That was terrible on the match thread, I pity the poor bastards who had to watch it. 
  • cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.
  • A point that many didn't expect, including many on here. We didn't lose, JS got 90 mins in, SF got 60 mins in and the bottom 4 all lost, some quite heavily. We now face most of those teams in the next run of games, we, hopefully  have a base to build from. For me we drew 'ugly', I'll take it after the last 5 games.
  • Much much better performance showed a lot of fight and spirit .. not a nice match very niggly at times not helped by another poor ref .. 
    But again these tight matches could turn one one moment and after he missed clear chances  v MK Dons again today Burstow needs to do better with only the keeper to beat .. Washington would have lobbed him it was that simple .. ..

Lot of positives today McG , DJ done well , people go on about the old men but Gunter and Pearse were superb up agsinst 7ft striker and really helped Laville long side them …..
     Dobson excellent Lee worked really hard , Fraser playing to deep for me in and out the game .. Purrington done well back in his proper role .. Stockley clearly not 100% .. and Burstow got himself in lots of good positions but wasted them
    all and really should have scored … 

Overall very good performance.. Washington clearly missed again … good to hear the fans right behind the team through out the game and at the end ..

• sam3110 said:
    All I can really deduce from today is we've absolutely had Chelsea's pants down regarding Burstow
    Have we though….No. £1.6m to them is chicken feed. 
    It's what it is to us that is important here not Chelski and £1.6m + add sell on's don't seem too bad from here..
  • cafc4life said:
    Build a team around lavelle, Dobson and Stockley and jog the rest on id say.
    Totally agree about those three. 
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Really?

But that’s the problem, people are negative because keeping a promotion chasing side to 0-0 and taking a positive out of it, isn’t where we should be as a club in the third division, we should be challenging aswell. Yet we aren’t even close. So maybe the negativity is quite reasonable.
    It does not matter how good and how strong your team is, you’re never going to challenge and perform well in every game you play. 

The fact that we were on a bad losing run, and Sunderland were coming off the back of a confidence boosting win against Wigan yet we didn’t buckle like we normally do, which is cause for some positivity in my opinion.

The real test for me, for JJ and this bunch of players is the next set of games. They will be tough, but if we have anything about is they should be winnable. If we end up ‘scrapping’ 0-0 draws in them, then we really are dog. 
    You make it sound like we’ve been really good and had a bit of a dip of late, maybe I’ve been watching a different team all season.
  • Not quite Play Off final material from both teams was it!

Hey ho, we needed to see a point at the least from this game.
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Really?

You make it sound like we’ve been really good and had a bit of a dip of late, maybe I’ve been watching a different team all season.
    Where’s the one bit in what I’ve wrote where I argue that ‘we’ve been really good’?
  • cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.
    Agree I think some people are taking Sunderland’s ineptitude as a positive sign for Jackson/Charlton. Yes, one point is better than none, but were we really any better, or Sunderland just a bit more shit than the others who beat us.
  • This'll be a fixture in League One again next term.

The worst thing from us, was the fact that Sunderland didnt even look like a side that'll reach the Play-Offs.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Really?

So it's OK for you to make things up about other people.  Hypocrisy at its best. 

No one is negative about the result.  People are rightly or wrongly not overly enthusiastic about the performance.

Before the match I said Stewart would be licking his lips playing against Pearce and Gunter.  What do you think I would have preferred, him scoring the chances he missed and saying "I told you so" or him missing them and us getting a point? 
    Have I made anything up about other people? Go back and read it again.

I'm also not attempting to label anyone with things like "pathetic" or saying they have "warped minds". That's all you so don't try and deflect.