Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

• Not sure why Burstow is still getting in the team. Injuries yes but he won't be here next season and just my opinion but I can't see the potential. Obviously there's something Chelsea have identified and hope the lad goes on to do really well being a local Charlton lad/fan. Really hope Washington is back next week or maybe try Kanu? 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

Also thanks for your diagnosis of my mental health Dr Freud. Stay classy.
    So it's OK for you to make things up about other people.  Hypocrisy at its best. 

No one is negative about the result.  People are rightly or wrongly not overly enthusiastic about the performance.

Before the match I said Stewart would be licking his lips playing against Pearce and Gunter.  What do you think I would have preferred, him scoring the chances he missed and saying "I told you so" or him missing them and us getting a point? 
    Have I made anything up about other people? Go back and read it again.

I'm also not attempting to label anyone with things like "pathetic" or saying they have "warped minds". That's all you so don't try and deflect.
    "some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so." 
  • We were pretty awful but we fought hard. Having Stockley back made a difference.

Sunderland wasted a lot of headers.
  • Still very poor creatively, our passing was terrible. No shots on target at home is rubbish really.

We were poor defensively in the first half too, Stewart should have scored from one of the free headers he had - poor marking by Lavelle, though not all down to him.

In the second half we did improve though, with better marking at set pieces, and a number of good blocks. We still relied on McG to make a number of good saves though.

I'm happy with the point, but the game did show why Sunderland have struggled this year
  • masicat said:
    I don’t know what the whole question is, but the answer is VARNEY as Chairman. We should be begging him. Then, Saandgard take his son and his bloody guitar and let the professionals get the job done. 
    Nothing to do with the game at all...
  • JamesSeed said:
    Assessment from Sunderland forum:

"Bitterly disappointing, that we couldn't comfortably beat, an absolute pile of dogshit."

"You can see why these are where they are mind. They are absolutely woeful."

"Even by League One standards, this is a whole different level of pathetic from Charlton."

"These are f***ing shocking"

"These are awful like"
    All good points - then you realise you live in Sunderland.
    Quite a nice part of the world. Lovely coastline. Whitburn’s very pretty. 
    Is it fuck, it’s a dump 
  • Scoham said:
    You weren't there mate so pipe down. 

It was cold, boring & insipid. Too much more of that & you can sell my seat to some other mug. 
    Good 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• paulg1947 said:
    Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
    I'd try him in midfield. We are so weak there 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

So it's OK for you to make things up about other people.  Hypocrisy at its best. 

No one is negative about the result.  People are rightly or wrongly not overly enthusiastic about the performance.

Before the match I said Stewart would be licking his lips playing against Pearce and Gunter.  What do you think I would have preferred, him scoring the chances he missed and saying "I told you so" or him missing them and us getting a point? 

I'm also not attempting to label anyone with things like "pathetic" or saying they have "warped minds". That's all you so don't try and deflect.
    "some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so." 
    You've cut a significant part of that quote off. Try again pal.
  • Would take a draw all day long after the run we’ve been on.
  • colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Really?

You've cut a significant part of that quote off. Try again pal.
    Certainly feels means you do feel. Doesn't change the meaning. Sorry pal. 
  • cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.
    Personally, I don’t think I would’ve been as angry as I have been in previous weeks, but I see where you’re coming from.  

This works both ways.  I’ve watched a lot games this season where we win, and I think, people are giving them too much praise for what have been pretty average performances.  
  • Played like the away team sitting back hoping to hit them on the counter ..nick one on a set piece and hitting Stockley..not enjoyable 
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.
    Personally, I don’t think I would’ve been as angry as I have been in previous weeks, but I see where you’re coming from.  

This works both ways.  I’ve watched a lot games this season where we win, and I think, people are giving them too much praise for what have been pretty average performances.  
    I will also add, Sunderland should’ve finished us off.  
  • rubbish performance or not, a point against a promotion chaser albeit a team that one, as I have said previously, are our whipping boys, must be encouraging after 5 consecutive losses .. welcome back Lavelle and Stockley, they give our side a nice bit of very welcome determination and muscle
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

I will also add, Sunderland should’ve finished us off.  
    Agree about what you say around praising average performances as well. 

My point is, I didn’t see any less fight today then I’ve seen since Jackson took over, less intensity for sure, but not less fight (though we will never know if it would have remained that way if we went a goal down). 

I just feel if we had lost that 1-0, because one of Sunderland’s set piece chances went in, then the general discourse of this thread would be a lot different to what it is now. 

• It would have been daylight robbery but we had two great chances at the end. And Burstow had a couple of good chances too thinking about it. 
  • edited March 2022
    @Notts_Addick instead of going through laughing at other people's efforts, why don't you have some input?
  • Nice to see a bit of fight. There was a 20 minute or so patch in the second half where we showed some proper intensity, albeit completely lacking in quality. 

DJ is a much better defender than he is anything else. Stockley makes a big difference and seemed to instil a bit of fight in the rest of them. 

Surprised at all the negativity on here tbh, we’re a poor league one team looking to safely get to the end of the season, we’re hardly going to be playing anyone off the park with what we’ve got. 
  • Missed the first half to watch the Strade Bianche, but glad for the point. What was evident in my opinion -

- the defence is definitely  better organized when Pearce plays, despite his lack of pace. 
    - Burstow is not a starter on this team once we get anyone back. 
    - too many misplaced passes from the midfield. 
  • Pleased with the point but God that was awful.

If Sunderland could hit a cows arse with a shovel, we may have been well beaten.

To me other teams look much more hungry and fitter.

Finally what is the point of Leko, he comes on fresh as a daisy and does less work than anyone.