Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

• We were terrible, don't think we had a shot on target 
  • Expected to lose and didn’t so that’s a positive. Not much but some.
  • It was important to stop the rot and in that context a good point. Jayesimi did a good defensive job, as did Gunter. The FA really need to do something about players complaining to the ref; Sunderland spent the whole match in his ear and it is bloody annoying. Credit to Elliot and Dobson for a couple of crunching tackles that deserved the yellow cards they got but showed that we weren’t going to be a pushover. Did the linesman flag Stockley offside at the end?
    Thought he was flagging Lavelle offside. Stockley should have gone for goal although perhaps he was.
  • You don’t concede you can’t lose, is my current broken record mantra and that was a shed load better than the last 5 games.  The lads tried, didn’t buckle and kept them out.  After 5 straight defeats I am happy with the point against a good side.  As I said before, if we accept we are no better then a mid/low mid table side (and the points don’t lie over a season) that was a great result.  If you want Charlton knocking it about and pushing for promotion, you probably need to start work on the time machine in the garage.

This match stopped the rot.  Clean sheet kept.  Spine in tact.  

With realistic expectations we should be ecstatic with that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

Also thanks for your diagnosis of my mental health Dr Freud. Stay classy.
  • Being satisfied with 0-0 at home in the third division sums things up to be honest, our expectations really have dropped.We had a bit of fight today, but absolutely zero quality. So many of our players need not to be in the Charlton red next season for us to improve.
  • edited March 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic. 
    No. People accusing other people of accusing other people of wanting us to lose. That's what really gets my goat.
  • It was important to stop the rot and in that context a good point. Jayesimi did a good defensive job, as did Gunter. The FA really need to do something about players complaining to the ref; Sunderland spent the whole match in his ear and it is bloody annoying. Credit to Elliot and Dobson for a couple of crunching tackles that deserved the yellow cards they got but showed that we weren’t going to be a pushover. Did the linesman flag Stockley offside at the end?
    Thought he was flagging Lavelle offside. Stockley should have gone for goal although perhaps he was.
    He definitely was. Lavelle wasn’t offside, but took someone out in his attempt to reach the misdirected shot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Really?

How do you explain those who only have negative comments after a result like that? Absolutely it's possible to say that we didn't play that well, lack of goal threat etc. But there are undoubtedly some positives to take against a team who are coming off a very good win and are challenging for playoffs.

Also thanks for your diagnosis of my mental health Dr Freud. Stay classy.
    But that’s the problem, people are negative because keeping a promotion chasing side to 0-0 and taking a positive out of it, isn’t where we should be as a club in the third division, we should be challenging aswell. Yet we aren’t even close. So maybe the negativity is quite reasonable.
  • paulfox said:
    Being satisfied with 0-0 at home in the third division sums things up to be honest, our expectations really have dropped.We had a bit of fight today, but absolutely zero quality. So many of our players need not to be in the Charlton red next season for us to improve.
    We absolutely can't get any results in any division we aren't in however well we play. Being satisfied with a draw against a team we could reasonably have expected to lose against seems reasonable.
  • We haven't scored in 7 and a half hours!

But don't worry, Jacko has another clear week to get some good "work" in on the training ground.

• A big shout to @eastterrace6168 for starting the Match Thread today.

Cheers, matey!

• I didn’t see the performance but from what I’m seeing on this thread it was pretty dismal and not much improvement on the previous dross. Unless there is a remarkable upturn in form which to me seems highly unlikely, then I think we should expect Jackson to be replaced. Players are mostly dreadful but there is also something wrong with the coaching. Defensively we’re pretty awful and have been for months. Same mistakes over and over again. 
  • Stopped rhe rot and that's what matters. Doesn't sit well with me that we're playing for 0-0 at home in league one, but there are. 
  • We were 2nd best but defended well and didn't lose. Glass half full or half empty? Take your pick. 
  • edited March 2022
    sam3110 said:
    All I can really deduce from today is we've absolutely had Chelsea's pants down regarding Burstow
    Have we though….No. £1.6m to them is chicken feed.