Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

• Our Goal keeper played superbly 
    And we managed to get a point which was good.
    as always we a shite in front of Goal, and cannot put the ball in the NET.

if we has a proper striker we could have scored 3 times today.
    we do NOT have a serious striker and until we get somebody who can score goals with his head or both feet, we will remain a middle table team.

wake up Rock n Roll Rock Star and invest properly in the team otherwise you will never see the championship let alone the premier league 👎👎👎
  • Could have gone a goal down from a couple of corners and I could not understand why we did not have players on the post which would have eliminated the risk - but whatever was said at half time nullified the risk, so what do I know.
    Pleased to see that JJ decided that we had to stop a losing run and picked a team accordingly. 
    We were a bit unlucky not to score ourselves and on balance a draw was a fair outcome.
    I think it was very important to stop the losing run before playing teams below us and the draw should come as both a relief and a lift going into those games.
    It confirms to me that we need 3 commanding CFs and two off the shoulder to see us through a whole season.
    Jay was outstanding as right wing back. Some outstanding defending.
    Pearce organised the back three who all played well. Dobbo good as usual.
    But I think we all know who the improved performance was down to. Stockley. 
    He tied up two of their players throughout the game and yet still won headers and free kicks. This gave defenders a breather and time to organise again. He is obviously not up to full fitness but what a great example he is to the team. I have been figuring who will be captain next season. No doubt in my mind who it should be any longer. Born leader.
  • cabbles said:
    Pleased for Jackson..? Today is a very limp plaster over the gaping wound that is a very shit squad being, in the most part badly managed across the board.
    Yes.  Pleased in the sense it’s his first full time job as manager, has inherited a largely poor squad and has been without a forward line for the 3 or 4 games.  Do I think he’s absolved of any responsibility as a result of the recent run?  No.  

However, he cares.  He’s someone that gave 110% in the shirt and will give a 110% as manager.  

5 successive defeats can really crush the spirit.  Despite us still not scoring in 7 hours, today we worked harder.  It’s the least we can expect, but when it’s been missing and you see it come back into the team, in isolation, today I’ll give them some credit for that.  

DJ a good example.  I don’t think he’s that good, however, he was getting stuck in today and Sunderland built a lot of decent attacks down their left.  Had we got the sort of performance we had against Oxford, we could’ve easily capitulated again.  

I’m not going to suddenly believe this mob have turned a corner, but I won’t dig out their fight today 
    I would like to believe that, I really do, but I honestly think if Sunderland had won that 1-0 (which they really could have) there wouldn’t be as many people praising the fight of the team then.
    Agree I think some people are taking Sunderland’s ineptitude as a positive sign for Jackson/Charlton. Yes, one point is better than none, but were we really any better, or Sunderland just a bit more shit than the others who beat us.
    A bit of both.
  • Blucher said:

A gritty and scrappy point, which was just what was required in the circumstances to stop the losing run.

After a largely backs to the wall first period, the team raised its game in the second half and showed a lot more fight than we’ve seen in recent games.  The leadership of Stockley and Pearce  - who had a horse of a game - probably had a lot to do with that, and we were also indebted to MacGillivray for a couple of good second half saves.

The problem with the team structurally was that our wing backs rarely ventured over the halfway line, which contributed to us being outnumbered in midfield and winning very few second balls. Essentially, we played a 5-3-2, although at least we had Stockley up top to present a threat to the opposition.

All that said, a clean sheet is a big bonus after our recent defensive woes and it was also good to get 60 minutes or so into Fraser. Other results at the foot of the table went our way and hopefully we can put any lingering relegation concerns to bed over the next few weeks.

Exactly 3-5-2 only works well when you have 2 effective wing backs and you are successfully funneling the play down the wings.
    We don't so every game we are outnumbered in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Assessment from Sunderland forum:

"Bitterly disappointing, that we couldn't comfortably beat, an absolute pile of dogshit."

"You can see why these are where they are mind. They are absolutely woeful."

"Even by League One standards, this is a whole different level of pathetic from Charlton."

"These are f***ing shocking"

"These are awful like"
    All good points - then you realise you live in Sunderland.
     A clear lesson of the Geordie, diplomatic ,way with words. But wait --Is sarf east London diplomacy ,any better?  lol
  • Really good to see DJ play - although he is a winger he is still much better than Matthews defending, we never get a clean sheet with Matthews or rarely get any result when he plays as he is a one goal lead for the oppo as soon as he walks on the pitch ! 
    Thought Pearce was excellent- up against a very good forward 
    We could have nicked it at the end - although we didn’t deserve it 
  • That was terrible on the match thread, I pity the poor bastards who had to watch it. 
     Or pay a pile of AU dollars,to watch ,that! --Its been about one win in ten since i was gifted- Charlton T V for Christmas, But at least i don't have to pay travel costs from Dartford (Loop line) or the 96 bus, Petrol Don't even think about it
  • paulg1947 said:
    Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
    I'd try him in midfield. We are so weak there 
    Weak-That's an understatement
  • edited March 2022
    thecat said:
    Brownie made a good point, When Sunderland have the ball we defend, when Charlton have the ball they press.
    Watched the whole game. To me it looked like two teams absolutely trying, however they were trying to win, whereas we were trying, not to lose. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    BigRedEvil said:q
    paulg1947 said:
    Now something to build on, but where does Clare fit in, now that he will be available 
    I'd try him in midfield. We are so weak there 
    No thanks .  He gets back in instead of Gunter 
    I wouldn't say Clare deserves to automatically come back in, as he wasn't playing that well himself before the red card
     Agree to a point,But who in the M F and back line were playing any better (Perhaps Pearcy and Dobson excepted) Energy wise he would have relished, yesterdays' dig in' match ,albeit lacking some technical skills.(like most at the mo) Creates competition for the shirt ,perhaps
  • JamesSeed said:
    Lavelle is a bit of a weapon at corners, perhaps because Stockley gets marked out of them by the opposition’s biggest defender. He twice shaved the woodwork, making the ‘zero shots on target’ stat seem slightly harsh, even if it’s accurate. 
    Still can’t believe that Stockley’s missed that chance at the end, and that Burstow also failed to get an effort from the same angle on target.
    Fraser is supposed to be our Bannon or Pritchard, but will need plenty of game time to get near that level. 
    MacGillivray’s good work was mainly up the other end, but he at least came out and gathered one corner. 
    The second half was actually quite watchable compared to recent efforts. Really odd to see Gunter at LCB though, but you’d imagine Clare will fit back into the back three on his return?

Oh, and can someone teach them the long throw. I’m 65 and I can throw it further than them I reckon. At this level it’s a decent weapon, and it weird to think in the whole squad there’s only one player who can (almost) reach the six yard box. 
    Got to pull you up on "shaved the woodwork", that's really laying it on a bit.
    Shaved the air somewhere between the woodwork and 5 feet above it more like, basically because he headed up and not down on both occasions.
    Burstow's effort was abysmal.
    I am sure the lad has promise, but he is no precocious talent like Paul Walsh or Jermain Defoe.
    I am not even sure he is a Karlan Grant and he should be being used sparingly, and not starting games in a struggling team.
    An in-form and confident striker would have lobbed the keeper on first bounce.
    I get that Mason didn't have that belief, but if you are not confident concentrate on your technique and get the shot on target with as much power as you can muster. 
    We got none of those things.
    Weak, scuffed, misdirected, little-boy-lost.
    Take the lad out of the firing line.
    He will never wear a Chelsea first team shirt. Ever.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Lavelle is a bit of a weapon at corners, perhaps because Stockley gets marked out of them by the opposition’s biggest defender. He twice shaved the woodwork, making the ‘zero shots on target’ stat seem slightly harsh, even if it’s accurate. 
    Still can’t believe that Stockley’s missed that chance at the end, and that Burstow also failed to get an effort from the same angle on target.
    Fraser is supposed to be our Bannon or Pritchard, but will need plenty of game time to get near that level. 
    MacGillivray’s good work was mainly up the other end, but he at least came out and gathered one corner. 
    The second half was actually quite watchable compared to recent efforts. Really odd to see Gunter at LCB though, but you’d imagine Clare will fit back into the back three on his return?

Oh, and can someone teach them the long throw. I’m 65 and I can throw it further than them I reckon. At this level it’s a decent weapon, and it weird to think in the whole squad there’s only one player who can (almost) reach the six yard box. 
     Quoted "Macca" at least he came out and gathered for a corner
     Yeah- and my heart was in my mouth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    You weren't there mate so pipe down. 

It was cold, boring & insipid. Too much more of that & you can sell my seat to some other mug. 
    He watched it live …… it was not boring it was two sides giving everything they had .. we had the best chance of the game …. Overall it was a very good game 
    Jesus......you really haven't seen much football if you think that was a "very good game". 

We created our first chance approaching the 40th minute & our first corner on 45. We had 2 shots in the 2nd half, both of which went wide. In 90 mins (plus injury time) we didnt have a shot on target. Appalling statistics for a club who was supposed to"blow through this league" (not my words but the owners). Next season the same owner is aiming for the top 2. I have news for you, there will have to be big changes / additions to the squad for that to happen. 
  • edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    You weren't there mate so pipe down. 

It was cold, boring & insipid. Too much more of that & you can sell my seat to some other mug. 
    He watched it live …… it was not boring it was two sides giving everything they had .. we had the best chance of the game …. Overall it was a very good game 
    Jesus......you really haven't seen much football if you think that was a "very good game". 

We created our first chance approaching the 40th minute & our first corner on 45. We had 2 shots in the 2nd half, both of which went wide. In 90 mins (plus injury time) we didnt have a shot on target. Appalling statistics for a club who was supposed to"blow through this league" (not my words but the owners). Next season the same owner is aiming for the top 2. I have news for you, there will have to be big changes / additions to the squad for that to happen. 
    "Very good game" is wildly overstating it, but I think that has it right insofar as it was two sides giving it everything they had. I just think both sides lacked real quality.
    It was far from the worst 0-0 I've seen over the last 60 years
  • cafc4life said:
    Build a team around lavelle, Dobson and Stockley and jog the rest on id say.
    Don't really get the lavelle loving... he's look decent when he's been fit, but I wouldn't say he's someone you'd build a team around

• Anyone who thinks that was a case of 'stopping the rot' or a 'hard won point' is seriously deluded.

It was the same formation with exactly the same obvious failings: wing-backs can't get out of their own half, vulnerable to slide balls in behind, over run in midfield, opposition unmarked at set pieces and zero attacking threat. 

The only two significant differences this week were that:
    1. We didn't even produce our usual decent 20 minutes before imploding.
    2. The opposition failed to convert one of their multiple chances,  including the obligatory free header from a set piece.

Sunderland were not great but looked to be in a much higher division than us.  I don't remember us producing a single string of passes, even with our recently appointed saviour Fraser in the side alongside the so called Pele. 

It was bloody awful and exactly same predictable brand of bloody awful as the rest of 2022- the rot continues.  
    Least you live up to your name I guess.  But I don’t think a half full view of stopping the rot is deluded, seriously or otherwise - whatever the faults of the team, the formation, the tactics, the effort, the recruitment and the nepotism.  Those of us that level set expectations due the the above shortcomings, are looking legitimately at a side destined to finish in the 3rd Quartile.  So the rot, which in my view is losing 5 on the spin with the very real possibility of moving to 6 losses with a whimper, was stopped.  We got a point and didn’t lose.  So clean sheet and rot stopped (albeit not pretty and very possibly short lived, the rot est finis this weekend).

And yes, Sunderland missed a couple, but IF Stockley had tucked that away, or IF Lavelle had managed to steer those headers in or IF Burstow could hit a cow’s arse with a banjo, and if my uncle had tits………..

etc

• Anyone who thinks that was a case of 'stopping the rot' or a 'hard won point' is seriously deluded.

It was the same formation with exactly the same obvious failings: wing-backs can't get out of their own half, vulnerable to slide balls in behind, over run in midfield, opposition unmarked at set pieces and zero attacking threat. 

The only two significant differences this week were that:
    1. We didn't even produce our usual decent 20 minutes before imploding.
    2. The opposition failed to convert one of their multiple chances,  including the obligatory free header from a set piece.

Sunderland were not great but looked to be in a much higher division than us.  I don't remember us producing a single string of passes, even with our recently appointed saviour Fraser in the side alongside the so called Pele. 

It was bloody awful and exactly same predictable brand of bloody awful as the rest of 2022- the rot continues.  
    Exactly this, completely nailed. We have been playing awfully for 10-15 games now.

With Stockley back, some resolute defending, and having games coming up against lower teams, we will squeeze out some points here and there for sure.

But we need to start playing some progressive football sharpish. Jackson is married to a formation that he has no idea of how to execute. This season is a write off but I'm in absolute fear we will continue like this next season unless JJ, our formation, or at the very least the coaching, changes.
  • paulg1947 said:
    Quite literally wherever he wants, easily one of the best players at the club. Centre back, right back, wing back, midfield. One of the few I actually want to be apart of the squad next season 
  • JamesSeed said:

Got to pull you up on "shaved the woodwork", that's really laying it on a bit.
    Shaved the air somewhere between the woodwork and 5 feet above it more like, basically because he headed up and not down on both occasions.
    Burstow's effort was abysmal.
    I am sure the lad has promise, but he is no precocious talent like Paul Walsh or Jermain Defoe.
    I am not even sure he is a Karlan Grant and he should be being used sparingly, and not starting games in a struggling team.
    An in-form and confident striker would have lobbed the keeper on first bounce.
    I get that Mason didn't have that belief, but if you are not confident concentrate on your technique and get the shot on target with as much power as you can muster. 
    We got none of those things.
    Weak, scuffed, misdirected, little-boy-lost.
    Take the lad out of the firing line.
    He will never wear a Chelsea first team shirt. Ever.
    Would need to see the incidents again, because a group of us (sitting behind the goal) twice thought he’d scored. Either way, Lavelle attacks the ball well at corners. Hasn’t he scored a couple already?