Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

Comments

• Scoham said:
    You weren't there mate so pipe down. 

It was cold, boring & insipid. Too much more of that & you can sell my seat to some other mug. 
    He watched it live …… it was not boring it was two sides giving everything they had .. we had the best chance of the game …. Overall it was a very good game 

• Croydon said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jacko needs to go, 352 again when we don’t have any wingbacks, our centre backs can’t play it out from the back and our strikers couldn’t hold it up/win headers. Completely out of his depth. If he wasn’t Charlton the atmosphere would be toxic. 

Pritchard and their 9 destroyed us until they came off, they missed 3 free headers, they should have been at least 3 nil up by halftime. 

Lavelle? Have a word, I somehow got tricked into thinking he was good cause he was Morecambes captain and came with good reviews from them, then it dawned on me, it was league 2 and Morecambe. He is Jason Pearce v2, panicked and unassured. 

So much more to moan about but at the end of the day, I truly believe we need Jacko gone and get a manager in who knows how to change it up. Keep the decent players and flog the rest. Out of that lot today, only Dobson, Fraser, McG and Stockley would be anywhere near my team 

just can’t wait for it to be over 
    But Jacko hasn't had a summer to do this yet. He wants 3-5-2, we don't have the players. You have to give him a summer to build his team. You simply can't do that in January. It's been a shocking season, but, whilst you can't exonerate Jackson from that totally, the Adkins start, a large handful of players not good enough to challenge for promotion, and the last 6 games of 0 strikers fit have been arguably more culpable. 

Agree with your summary of most of the squad, but not sure what you would've done differently with the squad we have. 
    So play a different  formation until you do then. It's crazy to continue with it otherwise 
    But, with the strikers out, I don't think we have the right balance for any formation. And historically we're a 4-4-2 team, so we need to embed this one. I think it's crazy to change it when that gives us nothing for next year. We were never going to get promoted after the start we had, fooling ourselves to think otherwise. 

Many have rightly said build the team around Dobson. Straight away that puts us in a 5-man midfield or a diamond. 

The next must-includes seem to be Fraser and Stockley, but Stockley as a lone forward doesn't work. So that says 2 up front. Washington and JFC potentially fill those two gaps at CM and CF. That's a decent core. Get as many as possible playing regularly that way and build a long-term team.

That leaves a bunch of wide players for only 2 wide spots, but none of them have shown themselves to be promotion-level, so why waste 4 spaces in the team on them? 

4-3-3 didn't work, everyone was too isolated. Washington is a lousy wide player, much better as 2nd forward, so what do you suggest we play?
  • seth plum said:
    P.S credit to everybody at the Valley yesterday for the minutes silence, obviously including the Sunderland fans.
    Was that their usual away kit?
    I believe so. 
  • I'd also agree Dobson has been great for us. Does anyone think there is a chance he may be part of our problem also though?

It's obvious our fundamental problem is we can't pass it from our defence through our midfield. With Dobson our only withdrawn midfielder, the defenders are limited to passing amongst themselves, to Dobbo, or hitting it long.

Dobson isn't awful on the ball, but could there be an argument to say he isn't capable of linking our playing out?

Or do we need Fraser/JFC to drop alongside him to give us more options?

I accept when Clare is playing it also expands our options.

But this is a real problem for us, and certainly was yesterday.
  • We moved our season tickets to the West Lower yesterday.Greqt view but zero atmosphere.  No noise from fans at all.
  • I'd also agree Dobson has been great for us. Does anyone think there is a chance he may be part of our problem also though?

It's obvious our fundamental problem is we can't pass it from our defence through our midfield. With Dobson our only withdrawn midfielder, the defenders are limited to passing amongst themselves, to Dobbo, or hitting it long.

Dobson isn't awful on the ball, but could there be an argument to say he isn't capable of linking our playing out?

Dobson our POTY by a country mile is 100% not part of our problem and I'm astounded that even one person could think he is. Utterly bizarre.
    That's not a fair summary of my post at all. In the first line I said he's been great, and I do agree he's been our player of the season.

I was in fact questioning why we are unable to play the ball through our midfield instead of long balls. Any idea why?
  • Sponsored links:

• I was pleased with the point yesterday. I have been saying that Jackson should park the bus in front of goal for the last month while the injury crises is at its worst. Well yesterday they did, not through choice I suspect but because they could do nothing else.
    Even with a fully fit squad this is a lower midtable team and that should be remembered.
  • It wasn't pretty, we weren't particularly good, but the players all put a shift in and were committed. We rode our luck a bit and on another day Sunderland might have been out of sight by half time. They didn't impress me much, pretty average for this division. Big Mac made a few decent saves but we looked shaky at the back. Not convinced by Lavelle yet, but he needs a proper run of games. He seems to let the ball drift past him a lot. Thought Fraser was fairly anonymous, but Stockley made a difference. Was expecting a Sunderland onslaught late on, but it didn't happen. In fact I thought we looked more likely to nick it. A decent point under the circumstances, but there needs to be some big improvements. 
  • It was a scrappy game, but we showed much more fighting spirit than other recent games. Sunderland probably should have scored one of their free headers, but they didn't. We didn't have a shot on target, but had a few decent half chances and could have scored with a bit of luck. I expected something from the game and think we just about deserved a draw for out battling display. We just need to get Washington back and I am confident the wins will come. I think we will win more than we lose between now and the end of the season and will end up 12th or 13th (not that this is much to shout about).  
  • edited March 2022
    Had a fantastic day in the boardroom yesterday and spoke to Sangaards son after the game. He was very approachable and said all there focus is on a proper recruitment drive now and for the start of next season.

Thanks to Swisdom for yesterday, top man and his family.
    Hi @Chippycafc I am interested in your comment. Did you get the feeling that this summers transfers dealing will be better and quicker than last? Also was there a feeling of disappointment at the shambles of last summer? Thanks in advance mate.
  • Jonniesta said:
    Croydon said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Jacko needs to go, 352 again when we don’t have any wingbacks, our centre backs can’t play it out from the back and our strikers couldn’t hold it up/win headers. Completely out of his depth. If he wasn’t Charlton the atmosphere would be toxic. 

Pritchard and their 9 destroyed us until they came off, they missed 3 free headers, they should have been at least 3 nil up by halftime. 

Lavelle? Have a word, I somehow got tricked into thinking he was good cause he was Morecambes captain and came with good reviews from them, then it dawned on me, it was league 2 and Morecambe. He is Jason Pearce v2, panicked and unassured. 

So much more to moan about but at the end of the day, I truly believe we need Jacko gone and get a manager in who knows how to change it up. Keep the decent players and flog the rest. Out of that lot today, only Dobson, Fraser, McG and Stockley would be anywhere near my team 

just can’t wait for it to be over 
    But Jacko hasn't had a summer to do this yet. He wants 3-5-2, we don't have the players. You have to give him a summer to build his team. You simply can't do that in January. It's been a shocking season, but, whilst you can't exonerate Jackson from that totally, the Adkins start, a large handful of players not good enough to challenge for promotion, and the last 6 games of 0 strikers fit have been arguably more culpable. 

Agree with your summary of most of the squad, but not sure what you would've done differently with the squad we have. 
    So play a different  formation until you do then. It's crazy to continue with it otherwise 
    But, with the strikers out, I don't think we have the right balance for any formation. And historically we're a 4-4-2 team, so we need to embed this one. I think it's crazy to change it when that gives us nothing for next year. We were never going to get promoted after the start we had, fooling ourselves to think otherwise. 

Many have rightly said build the team around Dobson. Straight away that puts us in a 5-man midfield or a diamond. 

The next must-includes seem to be Fraser and Stockley, but Stockley as a lone forward doesn't work. So that says 2 up front. Washington and JFC potentially fill those two gaps at CM and CF. That's a decent core. Get as many as possible playing regularly that way and build a long-term team.

That leaves a bunch of wide players for only 2 wide spots, but none of them have shown themselves to be promotion-level, so why waste 4 spaces in the team on them? 

4-3-3 didn't work, everyone was too isolated. Washington is a lousy wide player, much better as 2nd forward, so what do you suggest we play?
    You can't build a side around Dobson, he's a CDM. First name on the team sheet fine, but you build sides around players like Bannan.

You think its crazy to change to a formation that we won't use next year, but why wouldn't we? 352 won't work for every opposition, it's madness to think you can play the same every week against every side.

What's even crazier is sticking with it and losing 5 on the spin in this dogshit league out of out pure stubbornness. Any other manager would have been crucified for that, but Jackson gets a total pass from so much of the fanbase. 
  • The best thing about y’day was a point closer to @blackpool72 not having to rename himself @Ipswich22 as a result of us going down 50 years to that fateful day.  We should be okay 
  • edited March 2022
    Had a fantastic day in the boardroom yesterday and spoke to Sangaards son after the game. He was very approachable and said all there focus is on a proper recruitment drive now and for the start of next season.

Thanks to Swisdom for yesterday, top man and his family.
    Can I therefore be critical if, by the start of August, we are still way behind other teams in terms of recruitment & we are still missing the players that will get us into the top 6. My optimum would be to have the core of squad pretty much complete by the time we play Welling in pre-season (usually around 10th-15th July) with just a few fringe players/ loans coming in by the start of August.

I got a lot of stick last July when I moaned that we were well behind other teams like  ipswich & Wigan & was told to "be patient" and to trust the recruitment team. Unfortunately I have been proved right. I don't want to be proved right again.
  • cabbles said:
    The best thing about y’day was a point closer to @blackpool72 not having to rename himself @Ipswich22 as a result of us going down 50 years to that fateful day.  We should be okay 
    Indeed we should be safe.

As for having to rename myself I dread to think what people on the political threads would like to call me
    🤣🤣
  • edited March 2022
    I'd also agree Dobson has been great for us. Does anyone think there is a chance he may be part of our problem also though?

Dobson our POTY by a country mile is 100% not part of our problem and I'm astounded that even one person could think he is. Utterly bizarre.
    That's not a fair summary of my post at all. In the first line I said he's been great, and I do agree he's been our player of the season.

I was in fact questioning why we are unable to play the ball through our midfield instead of long balls. Any idea why?
    The back 3 or back 5 generally aren't good enough at passing the ball out and finding a man and the rest of the midfield and forwards, bar Stockley & Washington, don't make themselves available by moving into space and can't retain possession when they receive the ball.

Even if they do get the ball (like yesterday), far too often they are incapable of keeping it or passing it on.
    They are not good footballers and they do not put in as much effort as the opposition (generally).

The players that are without doubt good enough for a promotion challenge as first teamers are Stockley and Dobson, with probably Frazer as well.

DJ is arguably good enough, but the rest for one reason or another are not, although some are good enough to be back up squad members.

I'd prefer a better goalie and if it was down to me and I could get better I'd try and move on at least half.
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    We moved our season tickets to the West Lower yesterday.Greqt view but zero atmosphere.  No noise from fans at all.
    It's never been any different.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Didn't get to watch the full game, watched the first 15-20, then had to visit a friend for a kids play date... Well didn't have to, but chose to.

It got a lot better after that , we improved a load to just about adequate , that first 20 was awful 
    Are we still talking football here or consecutive wanks?
  • Anyone who hoped for a free-flowing attacking performance from us is either a hopeless optimist,  or hasn't been watching us.  The most I hoped for was not to watch the away fans celebrating all the way to London Bridge.  
    Job done. 
  • edited March 2022
    I'd also agree Dobson has been great for us. Does anyone think there is a chance he may be part of our problem also though?

The back 3 or back 5 generally aren't good enough at passing the ball out and finding a man and the rest of the midfield and forwards, bar Stockley & Washington, don't make themselves available by moving into space and can't retain possession when they receive the ball.

Even if they do get the ball (like yesterday), far too often they are incapable of keeping it or passing it on.
    They are not good footballers and they do not put in as much effort as the opposition (generally).

The players that are without doubt good enough for a promotion challenge as first teamers are Stockley and Dobson, with probably Frazer as well.

DJ is arguably good enough, but the rest for one reason or another are not, although some are good enough to be back up squad members.

I'd prefer a better goalie and if it was down to me and I could get better I'd try and move on at least half.
    That's a fair enough analysis. Which is why I questioned in my posts whether Fraser should drop deeper when our defenders have the ball to provide another option.

Since Fraser and Dobson are almost guaranteed to be starters in our midfield next season, why isn't the coaching focused on developing this link up when playing out of our defence already? It's soul destroying seeing the hoof up every time. Please God this isn't how Jackson sees us playing next season.

By the way, DJ has no future in a promotion team in a 3-5-2, along with CBT or Kirk. Unless we plan a backup formation with wingers.

Edit: JFC might be the missing link to sit deeper near Dobson and make himself available. Or maybe he is just benefitting from absence makes the heart grow stronger. But he always used to show for the ball.
  • masicat said:
    I don’t know what the whole question is, but the answer is VARNEY
    Having given this some considerable thought, I surmise that the whole question might be:

Which Reg starred in the sitcom On the Buses?