Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match thread: Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland | Saturday 5th March 2022

edited March 2022 in General Charlton
The rot has finally been stopped, even if it’s only a temporarily respite. By neutralising Sunderland today, we’ve got something to build on as we head into the final months of the season.

Sunderland dominated the game today, but failed to make any of their chances count. You can see why they’re in terrible form since the turn of the year.

Jacko made four changes, including starting with Fraser and Stockley. We couldn’t really get a foothold in the game for large periods and failed to string together any semblance of fluid, attacking play, but we did do enough to stay in the game and hold out for a draw. We had a few of our own chances, but nothing on target this afternoon. Surprisingly, Lavelle had two fo the best chances, including a header in the six yard box and a chance to slide in at the far post with almost the last kick of the game. Appreciation must also got to MacGillervray, who made a number of decent saves to keep us in it.

Considering our run of form, this clean sheet is something to hold on to. Sunderland will be unhappy not to have done more to take all three points. 

Charlton 0 Sunderland 0

Comments

• We were lucky to get nil ...
  • I thought our players tried, and as ever I always think they do (though not to the intensity they did when JJ was caretaker, which I think would never be sustainable). 

However a combination of them probably not being good enough, and our coaching staff being tactically naive just means there’s no chance we are going to get top 2 next year unless something drastically changes.

• Is that now 3 attempts on goal in 4 games? 
  • Too many sloppy individual mistakes nearly cost us the game.
  • From the perspective of needing some points to escape relegation then yes, its okay. 

But the thing we really need to see is some pattern of play forming that we can build on for next season. I see nothing like that.

I don't want to see this style next season. Jackson must be replaced at the end of the season.
  • A "good" point. No it weren't, it was shit

• Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    A "good" point. No it weren't, it was shit

Would you rather we'd lost? Serious question.
  • They tried. Gunter was motm. Which says it all.
    Thought Lee really tried. Fraser not fit after Covid and doesn’t suit a muck and bullets style which we had to play today to stop the rot. Think he’ll be good.
    Hope Lavelle stays fit now and works his way into being our main centre half. We need to start developing players that will be bedrocks next season. Macca was good.
    I just hope we can have a team that passes the ball with purpose next season. Not lump it. A team that has a plan and style. 
  • Chunes said:
    There is still no sense of identity in this team. Still got the opposition pressing us off the ball, and yet having all the time in the world themselves. It's not getting better, even if we nicked a draw today.
    Also just never being anywhere near the 2nd ball. 
  • Sunderland must feckin hate us!

Still, the season is over, we got a point and i am long past caring.  Roll on next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    There is still no sense of identity in this team. Still got the opposition pressing us off the ball, and yet having all the time in the world themselves. It's not getting better, even if we nicked a draw today.
    Also just never being anywhere near the 2nd ball. 
    This …they always seemed to pick up the 2nd ball putting us under pressure 
  • edited March 2022
    Not the best game, but at least it gives us a platform for some important games coming up after a real tough run we failed to get anything out of. tbh, at this point, it just feels good not to lose.. However depressing that may be. 
  • Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    Off_it said:
    Gribbo said:
    A "good" point. No it weren't, it was shit

Would you rather we'd lost? Serious question.
    What a fuckin stupid question.

Do you think it was a well earned draw then? The performance was no different to the last few games, regardless of the "clean sheet draw". 
    After 5 defeats on the spin if you'd offered me a point before the game I'd have taken it.

And given that - according to the match thread - we are totally shit, all of our players are rubbish, the manager doesn't have a clue and the towels were being thrown in before the game even kicked off, that all surely means getting a point is a miracle, doesn't it?
    If your relying on the division's top scorer missing free headers to get a point, at home, in the 3rd tier.........

No one is gutted that we didn't lose, no matter how much you try and push that point.  We got a point, which is good.  We were clearly second best, which isn't. 

Better?  Yes.  Good enough? 
  • It was important to stop the rot and in that context a good point. Jayesimi did a good defensive job, as did Gunter. The FA really need to do something about players complaining to the ref; Sunderland spent the whole match in his ear and it is bloody annoying. Credit to Elliot and Dobson for a couple of crunching tackles that deserved the yellow cards they got but showed that we weren’t going to be a pushover. Did the linesman flag Stockley offside at the end?
  • edited March 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    Certainly feels as though some posters are disappointed when we don't lose just because they can't say I told you so. 
    Really?

We had this last season.  No one, absolutely no one, wants us to lose just to say I told you so. 

You know what's even worse than that hypothetical situation?  People accusing other people of wanting us to lose for some strange little game they have made up in their own little, warped mind. It's pathetic.