Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All About Charlton - BBC Radio London tonight 7pm - exclusive interview with Thomas Sandgaard

Comments

• indeed and TS has had to rely on external advice, and hire based on exp/CVs, which hasn't gone that well so far.
  • Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

Don’t want this becoming a Millwall thread so will leave it at that.

My point I wanted to make was that currently everyone is shouting for us to have a CEO, but there is no guarantee (I’ll use Katrien and Daniel Levy) that that person will be either effective, liked or good from a supporter perspective. 

The key two things that (from the little I know) off the pitch need addressing is a big improvement in the ticketing & marketing strategy and getting to grips with what seems to be a fair bit of behind the scenes unhappiness. My preference is that Sandgaard engaged a competent on the ground CEO but I don’t think it’s an essential need. Sandgaard as de facto CEO and his senior management team need to be doing a better job with regard to those couple of points. 

I’m not convinced that had he Roddy, Gallen and Adkins got the footballing strategy right this year any of this would be attracting meaningful discussion. 
    But they didn’t and it is.
  • Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

My point I wanted to make was that currently everyone is shouting for us to have a CEO, but there is no guarantee (I’ll use Katrien and Daniel Levy) that that person will be either effective, liked or good from a supporter perspective. 

The key two things that (from the little I know) off the pitch need addressing is a big improvement in the ticketing & marketing strategy and getting to grips with what seems to be a fair bit of behind the scenes unhappiness. My preference is that Sandgaard engaged a competent on the ground CEO but I don’t think it’s an essential need. Sandgaard as de facto CEO and his senior management team need to be doing a better job with regard to those couple of points. 

I’m not convinced that had he Roddy, Gallen and Adkins got the footballing strategy right this year any of this would be attracting meaningful discussion. 
    If you relied on here you'd think there was a lynch mob for Tony Keohane gathering in Floyd Road, but I guarantee you that at least 90% of Charlton fans have never heard of him or, if they have, couldn't tell you who he is, what he does or point him out in a police line-up.
    Yeah but they're crying out for a CEO, apparently 
  • edited March 2022
    Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

If you relied on here you'd think there was a lynch mob for Tony Keohane gathering in Floyd Road, but I guarantee you that at least 90% of Charlton fans have never heard of him or, if they have, couldn't tell you who he is, what he does or point him out in a police line-up.
    Thats an important point that most people forget in the CharltonLife bubble, 90% of the Charlton fan base is nowhere near as engaged in the club enough to bother signing up to an Internet forum about it. Most Charlton fans I meet my age (30s) have never even heard of CharltonLife. 

Your average Charlton fan turns up to the home games, and perhaps reads the programme/website and get their Charlton news from the local paper/news site or a mate at the pub. Thats as far as it goes. In terms of staff their knowledge doesnt go beyond the players, Jacko and TS. They probably hadn't even heard of Chris Parkes until the website announced his retirement. 

I signed up to CL because I use a lot of Internet forums for my other life interests, so it wasnt a stretch for me to look up a Charlton forum, and here I am. In fact Id wager far more people are active on the various club Charlton fan Facebook groups than CL. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

Thats an important point that most people forget in the CharltonLife bubble, 90% of the Charlton fan base is nowhere near as engaged in the club enough to bother signing up to an Internet forum about it. Most Charlton fans I meet my age (30s) have never even heard of CharltonLife. 

Your average Charlton fan turns up to the home games, and perhaps reads the programme/website and get their Charlton news from the local paper/news site or a mate at the pub. Thats as far as it goes. In terms of staff their knowledge doesnt go beyond the players, Jacko and TS. They probably hadn't even heard of Chris Parkes until the website announced his retirement. 

I signed up to CL because I use a lot of Internet forums for my other life interests, so it wasnt a stretch for me to look up a Charlton forum, and here I am. 
    Tbh, I've noticed that more re' the criticism of some player. Most Charlton fans I know who don't post on here, generally have a different opinion on who's shit / who's got potential / who's mustard, most notable being Elliot Lee. 
  • Gribbo said:
    “If and when we start improving on the football side, it’s all going to click.“

If…IF…????????

.…brilliant…

Jesus wept, the knives are out 

Actually no, I just find it surprising that he can be so uncertain yet so specific in the same sentence!
  • Gribbo said:
    “If and when we start improving on the football side, it’s all going to click.“

If…IF…????????

.…brilliant…

Jesus wept, the knives are out 

Actually no, I just find it surprising that he can be so uncertain yet so specific in the same sentence!
    Because he said "If"? 

Maybe he meant to say or was implying "If or when...."? But think it's worth remembering Englsh is his 2nd language, regardless how long he's spoken it so he might stumble on colloquialisms such as "If or indeed when...." 🤷‍♂️

• It just struck me as a toned down version of his blow through the league comment.
    No knives out, would love nothing more than for Thomas to be the most successful owner in the history of football: for obvious reasons!
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    It's exhausting to read all the constant negativity on here, fuck knows how some of you live, nay revel in it day in day out...
    If you can genuinely point out what part of his plan makes sense please do. Until then I can't see him as anything other than a more charismatic and well intended Roland Mark 2.

I like him. I want him to succeed. But based on the interview I see nothing that suggests he actually will.
    Based on a few words said in an interview? I assume it is a long term plan that will yield results over time, not right this very second.

I agree with Dazzler though....constant griping and agg at majority of aspects of Charlton no matter what is said or done...TS could promise a fan a million pound and people on here would moan it isnt 2 million! 
  • Gribbo said:

They’re not, but that’s not the issue either. People who have enough interest in these things do overwhelmingly believe a chief exec is needed. That isn’t to say that it’s a main concern of most fans, but that’s not the point.
  • Gribbo said:

They’re not, but that’s not the issue either. People who have enough interest in these things do overwhelmingly believe a chief exec is needed. That isn’t to say that it’s a main concern of most fans, but that’s not the point.
    I agree that a CEO is needed, but just don't feel the issue warrants the attention it gets
  • aliwibble said:
    Gribbo said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I have no issues with the interview, was open, honest and realistic of the situation! He has invested money in to the playing side. 

Maybe not having a CEO on board is a bit rookie - but untimely would they affect how poorly we have been on the pitch no! Only thing they might have influenced might have been the appointment of Jackson, at the point of appointing him, if they hadn’t, the fans would have turned quickly!!

It’s going to be a big summer, and as fans we need to be realistic of who will come through the door..
    I think the belief is an experienced football CEO would in turn bring in people with proven ability in player recruitment which should result in better signings. Add to that they wouldn’t make mistakes like giving away thousands of free tickets, stopping fans from being able to buy seats together.

There’s been a change in that area with GR going and MS coming in - I think you can see why many have doubts about the owner appointing his son as director of analysis?
    I don't think enough people, including myself, know enough about what a director of analysis does, to be too overly critical about the appointment, but it's another it's another stick to beat TS with regardless
    It would help if he described the nature of the role and the skills and experience that his son has that makes him suitable for it, in a manner that sounded more like a CEO and less like a proud Dad.
    Maybe he is a proud dad, but I didn't think his son was a CEO. I thoughs he was in charge of analytics?
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

I agree that a CEO is needed, but just don't feel the issue warrants the attention it gets
    Everything wrong at Charlton used to be blamed on Ged Roddy. Now he's gone, it's blamed on the absence of a CEO. 
  • .CAFCTrev said:

I signed up to CL because I use a lot of Internet forums for my other life interests, so it wasnt a stretch for me to look up a Charlton forum, and here I am. In fact Id wager far more people are active on the various club Charlton fan Facebook groups than CL. 
    Good point.
    Several of my close family are ST holders at Charlton; my son, my brother, my nephew, my niece and 2 cousins. Plus my daughter and some other cousins follow the club.
    Out of those only myself (daily) and my son (rarely) visit CL.
    Some of the others follow on facebook sites.
    Having said that I think CL has a reach far in excess of it's membership, particularly in respect of campaigns and such. It's the only place to be. 
    Amen to that.
  • Chunes said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Everything wrong at Charlton used to be blamed on Ged Roddy. Now he's gone, it's blamed on the absence of a CEO. 
    And if there was a fully qualified, all singing all dancing, fur lined, ocean going, CEO in place, they'd be the wrong person. Unless of course we were top table when they'd be marvelous
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    Fuck me there is less pessimism on the Ukrainian threads  
    In Ukraine they are united and fighting together. If our team were out there, they would have already surrendered.
  • Gribbo said:
    aliwibble said:
    Gribbo said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I have no issues with the interview, was open, honest and realistic of the situation! He has invested money in to the playing side. 

Maybe not having a CEO on board is a bit rookie - but untimely would they affect how poorly we have been on the pitch no! Only thing they might have influenced might have been the appointment of Jackson, at the point of appointing him, if they hadn’t, the fans would have turned quickly!!

It’s going to be a big summer, and as fans we need to be realistic of who will come through the door..
    I think the belief is an experienced football CEO would in turn bring in people with proven ability in player recruitment which should result in better signings. Add to that they wouldn’t make mistakes like giving away thousands of free tickets, stopping fans from being able to buy seats together.

There’s been a change in that area with GR going and MS coming in - I think you can see why many have doubts about the owner appointing his son as director of analysis?
    I don't think enough people, including myself, know enough about what a director of analysis does, to be too overly critical about the appointment, but it's another it's another stick to beat TS with regardless
    It would help if he described the nature of the role and the skills and experience that his son has that makes him suitable for it, in a manner that sounded more like a CEO and less like a proud Dad.
    Maybe he is a proud dad, but I didn't think his son was a CEO. I thoughs he was in charge of analytics?
    You misunderstand. 
    TS sounded more like a proud dad talking about his son, rather than a CEO fully explaining why his son is qualified to fulfill the role.
  • I note Thomas reckons on being here about one week in four, and then to spend the vast majority of that time at the training ground.  Not sure if that's helpful.  When my boss used to attend jobs with me it was a bloody nightmare.
  • edited March 2022
    Gribbo said:
    If we were top of the table, would the toilets, tickets and back office personnel be given a 2nd thought?
    Absolutely not, it’s like clockwork. 

Few results go our way ‘we’ve got our Charlton back!’ 

Few results don’t ‘league 2 beckons, fackin sack everyone’.

hopefully our owner is headstrong and ignores the majority of social media. Cause I personally don’t know how I’d take it if I saved a club that had a fan base begging to be saved and now that same fan base are turning on him while he’s in his learning period as as football club owner. Let’s have it right every player he’s signed has looked very good on paper, unfortunately it doesn’t always work as simple as that. 

The only two concerns I’ve taken from that interview is the trust in his son being involved (doesn’t sound promising) and that he is genuinely considering Jackson for next season. Might be because of how much our fan base begged him and now he feels we would turn? Just to play devils advocate 

Think people need to actually take up some hobbies outside Charlton or just take a break after they’ve watched the game sometimes 
  • Gribbo said:
    aliwibble said:
    Gribbo said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You misunderstand. 
    TS sounded more like a proud dad talking about his son, rather than a CEO fully explaining why his son is qualified to fulfill the role.
    Okay yeah, sorry, my mistake.

Sandgaard out!!! 

;)
  • My main takeaway from this is, as ever, that football is fucked
  • edited March 2022
    CAFCTrev said:

Agreed, and to be honest why should any fan need to know who the likes of Keohane or Parkes are, the only important thing for the vast majority of fans is the performance and results on the pitch and I would wager that applies to most clubs.
  • cafctom said:
    Somebody is going to need to spell it out for me what makes TS and RD so similar.

Because in the case of TS, I see someone who has put very decent money into the playing squad and tried his best to build a connection with fans. Whereas, with RD, we had someone who wanted to bring in network players and managers through a revolving door whilst being universally despised to the point we had to protest before, during and after games.

If the only link people can find is “he likes to do things his own way”, then that’s pretty tenuous. 

I think because....

RD - Business plan was to take a second division football club that was struggling financially due to the previous owners and run it as a break even business, he aimed to do this by:

Developing and selling players using the clubs academy 
    Keeping running costs to a minimum
    Investing just enough into the playing squad to have a decent starting 11
    Play the transfer market by using his network of clubs and youth set up to plug gaps in the playing squad
    Increasing and promoting the clubs commercial activity with a "match day experience" 

This task was mainly left to his inexperienced CEO to carry out, he had a plan and wasnt going to budge on it for anyone or anything, he listened to very specific people and that was that.

General feeling is, he failed, he didnt invest enough into the squad, which was usually too thin to make it through a whole season,  running costs became slashed which had an affect on general morale, his CEO was often made to look a fool due to the inexperience where personal vendettas then came about, there was a massive void in comms from the club  throughout his time and as a result of all this the ownership were hounded out the club. 

TS - Business plan is to take a third division football club that was struggling financially due to the mish mash of previous "owners" and run it as a break even business, he aims to do this by:

Developing and selling players using the clubs academy
    Developing and selling players using the transfer market
    Play the transfer market by looking for bargains and using contacts in the game
    Investing into a strong starting 11 and using the youth set up to plug gaps in the playing squad.
    increasing and promoting the clubs commercial activity by getting more fans in.
    *running costs have been rumoured to have not changed much.

This task is left to himself and his own admitted, lack of experience, the football industry isnt complicated, he has his plan and common sense will get us there.

General feeling is, excitement! football needs a shake up and TS is the man to do it!

Playing devils advocate, and I know Sandgaard has only done 3 transfer windows but RD did bring in :

JBG
    Bulot
    Bauer
    Sarr
    Vetokele
    Watt
    Holmes
    Taylor