Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All About Charlton - BBC Radio London tonight 7pm - exclusive interview with Thomas Sandgaard

Comments

• Most of those are fair points, unless you mean the morale and motivation of the playing squad and management.

None of others would be affecting our current league position. So all this clamour for a CEO is unrelated to the team losing then...

100% correct! This CEO business is just something that people have grabbed hold. It is pretty irrelevant in terms of the management of the team.
    If you look at the the role Steve Kavanagh plays at Millwall, it’s clear that it isn’t. He is the public face of the absentee owner and he is involved in the football set-up - which he wasn’t at Charlton 2011-12 because Varney did it. Then Prothero, for better or, actually, worse.

And he is absolutely despised by their fans.
    Really ?

Care to elaborate, please AFKA.

• Most of those are fair points, unless you mean the morale and motivation of the playing squad and management.

None of others would be affecting our current league position. So all this clamour for a CEO is unrelated to the team losing then...

100% correct! This CEO business is just something that people have grabbed hold. It is pretty irrelevant in terms of the management of the team.
    If you look at the the role Steve Kavanagh plays at Millwall, it’s clear that it isn’t. He is the public face of the absentee owner and he is involved in the football set-up - which he wasn’t at Charlton 2011-12 because Varney did it. Then Prothero, for better or, actually, worse.

Really ?

Care to elaborate, please AFKA.
    Surely that’s a good thing. I’d hate to be loved by the spanners. 😎
  • Saulc23 said:
    Personally I just think it’s bad timing for the interview. If we’d won the last 5 there would be none of the negativity. 

Im not sure I agree with all his points, but let’s try and treat it without having the current form at the forefront of the mind? 
    While I sort of get what you are saying, that interview was, to put it bluntly, a car crash. Jesus, we are back to the old 'buying a house'/'buying a restauarant' sinonyms we were using under RD again. And why? Because he oddly suggests he has no real knowlege of football, but has introduced his son who has a knowlege equal to any armcahir watcher of SkyTV. I mean, what??? Is this the level of competence we need? It's not the five match losing streak with no strikers that is a huge worry - injuries do happen, although apparently they happen much more to us. It's the future planning which would appear to be pretty much 'winging it' as football is a fairly straight forward business. It is! Failure causes huge problems with income. And a professionally run club will cope much better than an enthusiastically run amateur one. RD did exactly the same thing appointing Meire. By all means play the guitar, but if you admit your knowlege of English football is sparse, at least try to recruit people who are experienced. And finally, talk of a top two finish is actually embarrassing. He did the same at the end of last season and people are still beating him with it. Why the absolute fuck would he bother repeating that?

Do you have 8 million?
    No. Do you think admitting he doesn't have much exerience in football, but it isn't especially necessary as he is a successful business man is a good look, or building hope of a top two finish is a good look after doing it last year, and looking over the season - not just the current run but the whole thing, including a pre season with huge gaps in the squad? And don't get me wrong, I am one of the people who has backed TS all the way along since his take over, which I am still hugely grateful for. But I really thought he might take stock of where we are and looked to improve. As I said, that interview was a car crash. Long on promises, short on details, and repeating some of what went before. 
    in my experience in business, it is much better to keep promises low, and try to overachieve, than promise the moon and fail utterly. I put last seasons promises down to over enthusiasm and a possible hope of other investors coming in which failse dto materialise. But I wasn't expecting to hear it again so quickly. That is just daft.

Stop hounding the man.
  • At this point I should probably add a whoooosh disclaimer.
  • Gribbo said:
    Personally I think people are being v harsh. If he was saying this with us in the play off position then people would probably be agreeing with him. There needs to be a long term shift change to make football clubs more financially viable.

Key thing for me is his enthusiasm and approach for next season seems high, talk of increasing budget further and at a competitive level for promotion, seems there’s a fair strategy think already in place for next year, that Jacko is clearly in plan for next season etc

Perhaps I misread it all 

He said he/we have lost £8M this season.
    He is going to increase the budget next season.
    He wants to break even. 
    Where is the extra £8M+ coming from?
    He seems as deluded as Roland to me, albeit a nice egotist.
    Increased advertising and sponsorship linked to more "eyeballs" in the stadium is part of it as he said in the interview.

I can't see how that fills the £8m gap on it's own but it does fit in with other rumours about expenditure to increase advertising revenue.
    More centre circle sex should fill the gap, wallop
    Boom!
    Not sure the missus would approve
  • player fees must surely be part of break-even in League 1, literally not possible otherwise
  • bobmunro said:
    Absolute car crash of an interview. 
    Football is just common sense and I don't need football people telling me what to do.
    My son knows lot's about football. 
    Don't need to spend money on an expensive CEO.
    says the man who is aiming for Europe and finds himself 16th in league one. 
    Next season will be the same as this until he realises he can't do it without getting the right people to advise him.
    What full time responsibilities do you think we need a CEO for?

This is just the latest thing that people want to lobby Thomas for, as he has acquiessed to almost all the fan demands so far.

So all those people that point to the lack of a CEO for being the reason we are shit at the moment, lets have a breakdown of what we would be wanting a full time CEO to do?
    - Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Are you being serious. 
    I can't think of a single club that does not have a CEO.
    Sandgaard admits he knows very little about football yet is determined to run the club without a CEO or whatever to give him advice on a whole raft of things. 
    If he thinks that he can achieve what he wants to without proper guidance he is mistaken. 

The role of a CEO in football is to run the operation, the commercial side of things, and perhaps get involved in contract negotiations (with lawyers) with player ins and outs. They are generally also the point of contact for the press. The CEO does not (or should not) get involved in the playing side.
    Well exactly. 
    But we don't have a CEO so all the things you are saying that a CEO does plus there is much more are not getting done are they.
  • bobmunro said:
    Football is just common sense and I don't need football people telling me what to do.
    Next season will be the same as this until he realises he can't do it without getting the right people to advise him.

This is just the latest thing that people want to lobby Thomas for, as he has acquiessed to almost all the fan demands so far.

So all those people that point to the lack of a CEO for being the reason we are shit at the moment, lets have a breakdown of what we would be wanting a full time CEO to do?
    - Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Are you being serious. 
    Sandgaard admits he knows very little about football yet is determined to run the club without a CEO or whatever to give him advice on a whole raft of things. 
    If he thinks that he can achieve what he wants to without proper guidance he is mistaken. 

The role of a CEO in football is to run the operation, the commercial side of things, and perhaps get involved in contract negotiations (with lawyers) with player ins and outs. They are generally also the point of contact for the press. The CEO does not (or should not) get involved in the playing side.
    Well exactly. 
    But we don't have a CEO so all the things you are saying that a CEO does plus there is much more are not getting done are they.
    No they are not getting done - I agree. 

Most of the angst against TS though is related to results on the pitch.
  • edited March 2022
    Love the U-turn some people have compared to a few years ago. 

Making the comments that Roland apologists used to. 

'He's bankrolling the club'
    'It's his money he can do what he wants'
    'He is rich so he must have a clue what he's doing'. 

I understand some people are sick of having misguided owners, but if it walks like a duck....
  • Sponsored links:

• Love the U-turn some people have compared to a few years ago. 

Making the comments that Roland apologists used to. 

'He's bankrolling the club'
    'It's his money he can do what he wants'
    'He is rich so he must have a clue what he's doing'. 

I understand some people are sick of having misguided owners, but if it walks like a duck....

Apologists? Lol ffs
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

- Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Are you being serious. 

Well exactly. 

And most clubs fall in to this category at various stages. Stating the obvious as it’s a competition not all teams can win. 

Essentially TS probably feels very let down by the playing side given the investment in contracts / fees. His lesson learnt will probably be not moving out Adkins sooner and was potentially  a hard thing for him to do until he had to do it. JJ could be the victim of that football lesson early next season. 

Unless there are genuine reasons to believe players are being forced upon JJ and in some way he can’t operate as he reasonably wants to it’s just a very bad season. 

He's not, mate. Not by a long stretch.

A very vocal minorty of the chests out brigade will always have issues with things that go against their world-view and set in stone 'ways', but the vast maority appreciate the job he does.

A bit like you lot with Tony Keohane  ;)

He's not, mate. Not by a long stretch.

A very vocal minorty of the chests out brigade will always have issues with things that go against their world-view and set in stone 'ways', but the vast maority appreciate the job he does.

A bit like you lot with Tony Keohane  ;)
    Yep pretty much how I see it. 
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

- Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Are you being serious. 

Well exactly. 

And rightly so.
  • Hey, Thomas.  I took the liberdy of writing a recruitment ad for your 'Fill The Valley' campaign.  It may look a liddle familiar.

Maybe I can work with Marden or any other trusted remaining member of staff?

The Charlton mission is to improve the life-quality of fans suffering from debilitating pain. We are seeking:  Self-confident, self-starting, resourceful, assertive, and persuasive individuals who will promote the on-field product and generate Stadium revenue from the matchday experience.  You must be able to build loyalty with potential new fans developing your soccer-football-based stream of business.  Able to demonstrate influencing and sales skills, and you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis. Previous sales experience is a plus, but you may qualify based on a strong desire to be the best.  Requirements:  Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and mobile phone. We offer training, a generous base salary, uncapped commissions, benefits, with a Club shop discount sign-on bonus, pizza Friday and management support for your success. 

TerritoryThe World, baby.

If you are ready to join a professional team dedicated to helping fans every day, please submit your resume.  Listed on the EFL.  We were just named #3 on the League 1 budget list.

• edited March 2022
    cafctom said:
    Somebody is going to need to spell it out for me what makes TS and RD so similar.

Because in the case of TS, I see someone who has put very decent money into the playing squad and tried his best to build a connection with fans. Whereas, with RD, we had someone who wanted to bring in network players and managers through a revolving door whilst being universally despised to the point we had to protest before, during and after games.

If the only link people can find is “he likes to do things his own way”, then that’s pretty tenuous. 

I think because....

RD - Business plan was to take a second division football club that was struggling financially due to the previous owners and run it as a break even business, he aimed to do this by:

Developing and selling players using the clubs academy 
    Keeping running costs to a minimum
    Investing just enough into the playing squad to have a decent starting 11
    Play the transfer market by using his network of clubs and youth set up to plug gaps in the playing squad
    Increasing and promoting the clubs commercial activity with a "match day experience" 

This task was mainly left to his inexperienced CEO to carry out, he had a plan and wasnt going to budge on it for anyone or anything, he listened to very specific people and that was that.

General feeling is, he failed, he didnt invest enough into the squad, which was usually too thin to make it through a whole season,  running costs became slashed which had an affect on general morale, his CEO was often made to look a fool due to the inexperience where personal vendettas then came about, there was a massive void in comms from the club  throughout his time and as a result of all this the ownership were hounded out the club. 

TS - Business plan is to take a third division football club that was struggling financially due to the mish mash of previous "owners" and run it as a break even business, he aims to do this by:

Developing and selling players using the clubs academy
    Developing and selling players using the transfer market
    Play the transfer market by looking for bargains and using contacts in the game
    Investing into a strong starting 11 and using the youth set up to plug gaps in the playing squad.
    increasing and promoting the clubs commercial activity by getting more fans in.
    *running costs have been rumoured to have not changed much.

This task is left to himself and his own admitted, lack of experience, the football industry isnt complicated, he has his plan and common sense will get us there.

General feeling is, excitement! football needs a shake up and TS is the man to do it!

• cafctom said:
    Somebody is going to need to spell it out for me what makes TS and RD so similar.

Because in the case of TS, I see someone who has put very decent money into the playing squad and tried his best to build a connection with fans. Whereas, with RD, we had someone who wanted to bring in network players and managers through a revolving door whilst being universally despised to the point we had to protest before, during and after games.

If the only link people can find is “he likes to do things his own way”, then that’s pretty tenuous. 

The question is ....if Roland never existed and the 2014-2019 time frame also didn't exist, and TS purchased Charlton directly from a standard Norwegian average Joe who attended roughly 45 games and had a character of minimal whinge...

Then, would TS be criticized still just like he is now? Would alarm bells be ringing based on anything little mistake he makes or any thing he says?

I'm not sure. 

Charlton athletic football club has suffered emotional abuse. We have been used for money, greed and personal gain.

Usually, a victim of abuse become magnetic attractions for a further list of nobheads. Southall enjoyed being a prat, because he thought he could get away with it, like a fool. 

Richard Murray betrayed the club and he stabbed it in the back.

The natural bond with the club has perhaps decreased.

It doesn't quite feel the same.

It currently now feels purely like more of a business...that has Twitter, a guitar, a scarf with normal shoes followed by increased dignity and self awareness. 

We are going to be in league one for at least the next 2-3 years. Do not make the mistake of believing the championship is where we belong. It no longer is. 
    We have to prove ourselves.

I don't want Roland to make money from selling sparrows lane and the valley. I hope he lives in a retirement home soon and his kids sell his assets for him.

The rebuilding of the club is all going to take a lot of time.

• Sponsored links:

• I Am really surprised people are going for Thomas over the interview. I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. When he says running a football club is easy, I believe what he means is it’s no different to running a theatre , a rugby ground, county cricket, music venue etc. it’s a business, I do not believe he’s comments were related to the actual team. An in that I am tending to agree with him.

we are in the shit….. an that is down to the Manager JJ, his coaching staff, the medical staff and the playing squad.

Judge me after the next window says JJ.  Well let’s see, the jury is out. But, personally I don’t think he will be here next October. 
  • edited March 2022
    Scoham said:

Good luck with that, Johnnie.

Choose your two signings wisely.
  • cafctom said:

I think it's the break even comments and the fact they're both egotistical (though find me a millionaire who isn't).

They couldn't be more different in their approach other than that. 
  • edited March 2022
    bobmunro said:

Most of those are fair points, unless you mean the morale and motivation of the playing squad and management.

What do you mean by 'football set-up'? Are you saying that Kavanagh at Millwall and Reg when he was with us had direct involvement with team management?
    Picking the team and running training, obviously not, but there is/was continuous daily dialogue with the manager, involvement with contracts and interventions to prevent or facilitate player sales/purchases i.e. persuade the board of the manager’s case and the financial practicalities, daily problem solving, equipment purchasing, facilities development etc, etc.

• I Am really surprised people are going for Thomas over the interview. I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. When he says running a football club is easy, I believe what he means is it’s no different to running a theatre , a rugby ground, county cricket, music venue etc. it’s a business, I do not believe he’s comments were related to the actual team. An in that I am tending to agree with him.

we are in the shit….. an that is down to the Manager JJ, his coaching staff, the medical staff and the playing squad.

Judge me after the next window says JJ.  Well let’s see, the jury is out. But, personally I don’t think he will be here next October. 
    I think it was a very clunky way of saying it and the word ‘easy’ was ill advised because of exactly how it was interpreted. 

But my interpretation was that he was trying to say it was just like everything else; where things can be analysed to potentially deliver improvements (that was essentially the easy bit), but the difference with football is that it gets confused by emotional engagement and emotional responses. That it is easier if you ensure you strip out the emotional aspects when decision making.

Be interesting if having read that someone revisited that 30 secs of interview and see if that’s fair that you could interpret it that way. 

I’m going to assume the Millwall fans are more likely to know about that than you, but regardless it’s not the chief exec’s job to be popular. In fact, it’s often to take the blame and protect the owner.

I think it was a very clunky way of saying it and the word ‘easy’ was ill advised because of exactly how it was interpreted. 

But my interpretation was that he was trying to say it was just like everything else; where things can be analysed to potentially deliver improvements (that was essentially the easy bit), but the difference with football is that it gets confused by emotional engagement and emotional responses. That it is easier if you ensure you strip out the emotional aspects when decision making.

Be interesting if having read that someone revisited that 30 secs of interview and see if that’s fair that you could interpret it that way. 
    I still don't think its true on any comparison, take a theatre analogy for example... (perhaps not)

The sports fan is a unique kind of 'customer' and in this country and for a good number of football clubs in particular the expectation level is through the roof
  • “If and when we start improving on the football side, it’s all going to click.“

If…IF…????????

.…brilliant…