Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All About Charlton - BBC Radio London tonight 7pm - exclusive interview with Thomas Sandgaard

Comments

• aliwibble said:
    We've got a guy who spends loads of his time visiting the club, doesn't want the club to be a financial wreck, and makes lots of time for fans to grill him. What more could you actually want?
    Someone who recognises that his investment in the club would be more efficiently spent if he employed people that knew what they were doing, rather than assuming that his expertise in one area easily transfers across to another.
    Is there any correlation between bloated middle management and success on the pitch?
  • Personally I think people are being v harsh. If he was saying this with us in the play off position then people would probably be agreeing with him. There needs to be a long term shift change to make football clubs more financially viable.

Key thing for me is his enthusiasm and approach for next season seems high, talk of increasing budget further and at a competitive level for promotion, seems there’s a fair strategy think already in place for next year, that Jacko is clearly in plan for next season etc

Perhaps I misread it all 

He said he/we have lost £8M this season.
    He is going to increase the budget next season.
    He wants to break even. 
    Where is the extra £8M+ coming from?
    He seems as deluded as Roland to me, albeit a nice egotist.
    The only clubs that break even or get close to breaking even in The Championship are very soon relegated.
    He's sounding exactly like RD now.
    Thinks he can run the club with people who have no idea and additionally he can run it at break even.
    He will also get us to The Premier League breaking even.
    No chance, not when everyone else is spending money like confetti.
    We had ESI and then ESI mk2

We had RD and now we have RD mk2.

Thinks he can being in his son to run things because "football is a business & I know business". Its easy running a football club, anyone can do it.

Yeah.....just look what the last 18 months has brought us. Its same old same old but with a twist.....we are getting worse.
  • So in short, All About Charlton turned out to be, All About Thomas.

No surprise there then. 
  • Definitely shaping up to be a nicer version of Duchatelet in my opinion. Like many successful people his ego is huge and overshadows any semblance of common sense. 

Let's get through this rubbish season with this under achieving squad and see what the close season brings. 

Personally I think it is pure vanity boasting about having the third largest budget when you take a look at the results and table. Money doesn't always talk old son.... we are 16th, take a look at the other 13 clubs above us who's playing budget is less than ours. 

Next he will be wondering why the crowds dwindle to sub 8000
  • "Negativity"
    Yes, let's be positive and supportive, we're losing 8mil a year placed 16th in the third division, with break even hopes (largely) on being a very attractive and lucrative commercial powerhouse, the foundations are already in place after the years we spent operating at break even under previous, grounded in football finances ownership RD. 
    Thankfully we only need to worry about which 2 players we need in the summer to add to our (currently) 16th placed Squad to hit the automatics next season. It shouldn't be too hard for the recruitment committee to get those players through the door as it's pretty obvious that you just find a good player, chuck them in and that's it. Simple. I mean, it's common sense really.

"Entitled"
    Come on! How anyone can dare to question the club's stewardship I don't know. We have a team giving 100% every match that we can support, a well oiled SMT and back office set-up of well respected, commited, experienced Charlton and non Charlton people pulling us together in the right direction, the holy grail of category 1 academy status and all the expense and staff requirements that come with it still in the pipeline.

We don't have a divine right to be anywhere in the footballing world, bottom half of the third division, what do you want and just what sort of expectations do you have from the club?!? 

Amazing what a little bit of personality can do....

• Sponsored links:

• One day we will all look back on the Sandgaard years and have a good laugh, much as we now do about the Fan Sofa era...
  • Absolute car crash of an interview. 
    Football is just common sense and I don't need football people telling me what to do.
    My son knows lot's about football. 
    Don't need to spend money on an expensive CEO.
    says the man who is aiming for Europe and finds himself 16th in league one. 
    Next season will be the same as this until he realises he can't do it without getting the right people to advise him.
    I dunno, it’s not all bad news - @LouisMend managed to get four articles out of it! 

But, yeah, pretty concerning stuff.  
  • Gribbo said:
    Personally I think people are being v harsh. If he was saying this with us in the play off position then people would probably be agreeing with him. There needs to be a long term shift change to make football clubs more financially viable.

Key thing for me is his enthusiasm and approach for next season seems high, talk of increasing budget further and at a competitive level for promotion, seems there’s a fair strategy think already in place for next year, that Jacko is clearly in plan for next season etc

Perhaps I misread it all 

He said he/we have lost £8M this season.
    He is going to increase the budget next season.
    He wants to break even. 
    Where is the extra £8M+ coming from?
    He seems as deluded as Roland to me, albeit a nice egotist.
    Increased advertising and sponsorship linked to more "eyeballs" in the stadium is part of it as he said in the interview.

I can't see how that fills the £8m gap on it's own but it does fit in with other rumours about expenditure to increase advertising revenue.
    More centre circle sex should fill the gap, wallop
    Boom!
    Football is just common sense and I don't need football people telling me what to do.
    Next season will be the same as this until he realises he can't do it without getting the right people to advise him.
    What full time responsibilities do you think we need a CEO for?

This is just the latest thing that people want to lobby Thomas for, as he has acquiessed to almost all the fan demands so far.

So all those people that point to the lack of a CEO for being the reason we are shit at the moment, lets have a breakdown of what we would be wanting a full time CEO to do?
    - Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Do you understand the typical role of a CEO in a business? 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    cafctom said:
    As a fanbase, I do think we sometimes have a habit of taking the odd passing comment and blowing it all out of proportion. 

Does TS really think it is “easy”? Probably not. If he did then it wouldn’t take millions of pounds to buy and maintain.

Controversially, I think some of our fans made a bit too much of the time Katrien referred to fans as “customers” that time, as if it was the greatest sin ever committed in the industry.

Personally, I’m just pretty exhausted with it all. 

Exhausted with entitled fans wanting absolutely everything to be perfect, and then if it’s not just calling the owner “Roland mark 2”.

Exhausted of reading people tweeting the man and his wife complaining every time we lose a game - as if they’re responsible for match day tactics or the fact half our players couldn’t give a toss.

Are all the decisions the right ones? No, clearly not. But the right intentions and hard work has been there to try and do the right thing.

And if you’re one of those fans who just doesn’t fancy going to Charlton anymore because we’re having a bad season on the pitch, then fine, see you later. 

I don’t expect this post will go down well with many, but I’m just fucking bored of listening to people whinging about a crisis when deep down there really isn’t one. Not a desperate crisis anyway.

We are Charlton Athletic, we’ll have bad seasons, get on with it FFS.
    Its nothing to do with having a bad season or even just having lost 5 on the spin.

It's to do with the fact bad decision after bad decision is being made. From last summer's transfer window, to giving away thousands of free tickets (when in the same stand fans have spent £500 on a season ticket) and now saying that anyone can run a football club, so much so his son can do it without any experience or knowledge of the English game.

Sandgaard is not a fan - not a die hard CAFC fan certainly. He hadn't heard of us until 2 years ago !  

If running a football club is that easy why not let a fan do it. We used to have a fan on the Board, why not go one notch higher & every season have a different fan run the club. Perhaps he could sell the 2022/23 season ticket on that basis - your ST comes not only with a free beer token but with a chance to run the club that season too !

This is just the latest thing that people want to lobby Thomas for, as he has acquiessed to almost all the fan demands so far.

So all those people that point to the lack of a CEO for being the reason we are shit at the moment, lets have a breakdown of what we would be wanting a full time CEO to do?
    - Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Are you being serious. 
    I can't think of a single club that does not have a CEO.
    Sandgaard admits he knows very little about football yet is determined to run the club without a CEO or whatever to give him advice on a whole raft of things. 
    If he thinks that he can achieve what he wants to without proper guidance he is mistaken. 
  • edited March 2022
    "Negativity"
    Yes, let's be positive and supportive, we're losing 8mil a year placed 16th in the third division, with break even hopes (largely) on being a very attractive and lucrative commercial powerhouse, the foundations are already in place after the years we spent operating at break even under previous, grounded in football finances ownership RD. 
    Thankfully we only need to worry about which 2 players we need in the summer to add to our (currently) 16th placed Squad to hit the automatics next season. It shouldn't be too hard for the recruitment committee to get those players through the door as it's pretty obvious that you just find a good player, chuck them in and that's it. Simple. I mean, it's common sense really.

"Entitled"
    Come on! How anyone can dare to question the club's stewardship I don't know. We have a team giving 100% every match that we can support, a well oiled SMT and back office set-up of well respected, commited, experienced Charlton and non Charlton people pulling us together in the right direction, the holy grail of category 1 academy status and all the expense and staff requirements that come with it still in the pipeline.

We don't have a divine right to be anywhere in the footballing world, bottom half of the third division, what do you want and just what sort of expectations do you have from the club?!? 

How much of the 8m are you covering?

You forgot to say
    "His club, his money, do what he wants"
    "be grateful you have a club to support" 
    "saved us from destruction",
    "GED Roddy told him to say that"
    "Just had bad advice",
    "I suppose you want the crooks back" 
    "Doesn't speak English"
    "He's still learning"
    "You're not proper Charlton"
    "SO negative"
    "Stop hounding the man"
    "We're in a good place"
    "Go and support a Chelsea" 
    I agree with 3 of those, yes:
    "Stop hounding the man"

But my point is, the 8m HE is losing is very unlikely to ever be paid back by the club unless we do actually make the premier league, which let's face it, isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you are unhappy with Sandgaard saving our club and spending 8m per year of his own money for the privilege, then I suggest you ask the next person in the long queue of non-Charlton fans who are willing to finance us with the best of intentions.

You're right, I have absolutely no right to critique or pick fault with the running of the club or its owner until I can come up with a new investor or magic 8mil a season of my own money.

Bottom half league one with a mishmash SMT is fine in the grand scheme of things, having expectations above that is football arrogance, at the end of the day, as long as we have an owner to stump up the loss that's all that's needed.

• se9addick said:
    Absolute car crash of an interview. 

- Sack Tony Keohane
    - Oversee recruitment

Anything else?
    Do you understand the typical role of a CEO in a business? 
    Yes
  • "Negativity"

"Entitled"

You forgot to say
    "Just had bad advice",
    "Doesn't speak English"
    "He's still learning"
    "SO negative"
    "Stop hounding the man"
    "We're in a good place"
    "Stop hounding the man"

But my point is, the 8m HE is losing is very unlikely to ever be paid back by the club unless we do actually make the premier league, which let's face it, isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you are unhappy with Sandgaard saving our club and spending 8m per year of his own money for the privilege, then I suggest you ask the next person in the long queue of non-Charlton fans who are willing to finance us with the best of intentions.

You're right, I have absolutely no right to critique or pick fault with the running of the club or its owner until I can come up with a new investor or magic 8mil a season of my own money.

Bottom half league one with a mishmash SMT is fine in the grand scheme of things, having expectations above that is football arrogance, at the end of the day, as long as we have an owner to stump up the loss that's all that's needed.

Critique is fine. But the disdain, abuse and yes, "hounding", of a guy who did rescue the club and is financing it with the best of intentions is out of order. Do I not have a right to critique your critique?
    Where’s the abuse? How is people voicing their concerns “hounding”? I’m sure his intentions are good but that’s not enough to bring the club forward. There’s a real risk we will get sucked in to relegation and that’s what’s fuelling the concerned posts you see on here.
  • C'mon, can anyone on here not admit that they have never bought a lemon?

Reckon he will bale, two seasons tops.
  • iainment said:
    "Negativity"

"Entitled"

You forgot to say
    "Just had bad advice",
    "Doesn't speak English"
    "He's still learning"
    "SO negative"
    "Stop hounding the man"
    "We're in a good place"
    "Stop hounding the man"

Critique is fine. But the disdain, abuse and yes, "hounding", of a guy who did rescue the club and is financing it with the best of intentions is out of order. Do I not have a right to critique your critique?
    Where’s the abuse? How is people voicing their concerns “hounding”? I’m sure his intentions are good but that’s not enough to bring the club forward. There’s a real risk we will get sucked in to relegation and that’s what’s fuelling the concerned posts you see on here.
    Plenty of disdain and anger towards him across social media, not necessarily at its worst on Charlton Life.

What on earth is Sandgaard supposed to do to stop us getting sucked into relegation right now? It's JJ and the players which are hugely underperforming against expectations at the moment.