Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All About Charlton - BBC Radio London tonight 7pm - exclusive interview with Thomas Sandgaard

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Personally I think people are being v harsh. If he was saying this with us in the play off position then people would probably be agreeing with him. There needs to be a long term shift change to make football clubs more financially viable.

Key thing for me is his enthusiasm and approach for next season seems high, talk of increasing budget further and at a competitive level for promotion, seems there’s a fair strategy think already in place for next year, that Jacko is clearly in plan for next season etc

Perhaps I misread it all 

He said he/we have lost £8M this season.
    He is going to increase the budget next season.
    He wants to break even. 
    Where is the extra £8M+ coming from?
    He seems as deluded as Roland to me, albeit a nice egotist.
    The only clubs that break even or get close to breaking even in The Championship are very soon relegated.
    He's sounding exactly like RD now.
    Thinks he can run the club with people who have no idea and additionally he can run it at break even.
    He will also get us to The Premier League breaking even.
    No chance, not when everyone else is spending money like confetti.
    We had ESI and then ESI mk2

We had RD and now we have RD mk2.

Thinks he can being in his son to run things because "football is a business & I know business". Its easy running a football club, anyone can do it.

Yeah.....just look what the last 18 months has brought us. Its same old same old but with a twist.....we are getting worse.
    What is has brought us is a football club that is still in existence, rather than finished
  • Options
    We do have a football club but if we end up in the 4th division with seven first team players is it actually better than what people warned could happen if TS saved us?

If we'd gone into administration- the only people worse off might have been local businesses.

We are a shit show currently.   You cannot employ your son to recruit players because he's got a hard shot 

FFS!

• Options
    supaclive said:
    We do have a football club but if we end up in the 4th division with seven first team players is it actually better than what people warned could happen if TS saved us?

If we'd gone into administration- the only people worse off might have been local businesses.

We are a shit show currently.   You cannot employ your son to recruit players because he's got a hard shot 

FFS!

But we attention the 4th division with only 7 players. On balance, I don't think we'll get relegated
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    supaclive said:

FFS!

Oh come off it clive…..you know full well he won’t be directly involved in the recruitment of players.
    I and most others see it as merely an appointment made to give him a job title/job description, whilst he is actually acting as TS’s eyes and ears on the ground.
    Sorry to say it clive but you are just being mischievous. 😠
  • Options
    supaclive said:

FFS!

Oh come off it clive…..you know full well he won’t be directly involved in the recruitment of players.
    I and most others see it as merely an appointment made to give him a job title/job description, whilst he is actually acting as TS’s eyes and ears on the ground.
    I don't think he's qualified in ANY WAY to be TS' eyes and ears.   Therein lies the problem.
  • Options
    Oh and @SoundAsa£ he also recommended Scott Fraser..... after we've already tries to buy him before.

Genius.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

FFS!

I don't think he's qualified in ANY WAY to be TS' eyes and ears.   Therein lies the problem.
    Maybe…..but it’s not exactly rocket science to be keeping watch over what’s going on behind the scenes.
    I don’t know much about Martin but it would seem he’s at the very least intelligent enough to judge friction in the work force and pick up on who’s pulling their weight and who isn’t, whose making waves and who isn’t etc, though that’s only a part of what his observations will be I’m sure.
    It’s not an easy gig for the bloke when you come to think of it as staff will naturally be somewhat wary of anything they say in his presence.
  • Options
    Hire a FOOTBALL CEO
    TS says the new CEO most likely won't be from football 
    I mean.... rinse and repeat.....

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

Don’t want this becoming a Millwall thread so will leave it at that.

My point I wanted to make was that currently everyone is shouting for us to have a CEO, but there is no guarantee (I’ll use Katrien and Daniel Levy) that that person will be either effective, liked or good from a supporter perspective. 

The key two things that (from the little I know) off the pitch need addressing is a big improvement in the ticketing & marketing strategy and getting to grips with what seems to be a fair bit of behind the scenes unhappiness. My preference is that Sandgaard engaged a competent on the ground CEO but I don’t think it’s an essential need. Sandgaard as de facto CEO and his senior management team need to be doing a better job with regard to those couple of points. 

I’m not convinced that had he Roddy, Gallen and Adkins got the footballing strategy right this year any of this would be attracting meaningful discussion. 
    If you relied on here you'd think there was a lynch mob for Tony Keohane gathering in Floyd Road, but I guarantee you that at least 90% of Charlton fans have never heard of him or, if they have, couldn't tell you who he is, what he does or point him out in a police line-up.
    Thats an important point that most people forget in the CharltonLife bubble, 90% of the Charlton fan base is nowhere near as engaged in the club enough to bother signing up to an Internet forum about it. Most Charlton fans I meet my age (30s) have never even heard of CharltonLife. 

Your average Charlton fan turns up to the home games, and perhaps reads the programme/website and get their Charlton news from the local paper/news site or a mate at the pub. Thats as far as it goes. In terms of staff their knowledge doesnt go beyond the players, Jacko and TS. They probably hadn't even heard of Chris Parkes until the website announced his retirement. 

I signed up to CL because I use a lot of Internet forums for my other life interests, so it wasnt a stretch for me to look up a Charlton forum, and here I am. In fact Id wager far more people are active on the various club Charlton fan Facebook groups than CL. 
    Very true. I sat next to three season ticket holders in their late 30s a few seasons back who didn’t have a clue who half the players were, or what formation we played. It was just a nice social day out with their mates, which is fine. The depth of knowledge on here about all thing Charlton is staggering really. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Fair enough @MillwallFan @Big_Bad_World its certainly the impression I get when I occasionally read a Millwall forum similar to this and appears much greater than a minority view, but more than happy to accept if you say that’s not accurate. I’d be delighted to have him here btw so I’m not attempting to slight him .

My point I wanted to make was that currently everyone is shouting for us to have a CEO, but there is no guarantee (I’ll use Katrien and Daniel Levy) that that person will be either effective, liked or good from a supporter perspective. 

The key two things that (from the little I know) off the pitch need addressing is a big improvement in the ticketing & marketing strategy and getting to grips with what seems to be a fair bit of behind the scenes unhappiness. My preference is that Sandgaard engaged a competent on the ground CEO but I don’t think it’s an essential need. Sandgaard as de facto CEO and his senior management team need to be doing a better job with regard to those couple of points. 

I’m not convinced that had he Roddy, Gallen and Adkins got the footballing strategy right this year any of this would be attracting meaningful discussion. 
    If you relied on here you'd think there was a lynch mob for Tony Keohane gathering in Floyd Road, but I guarantee you that at least 90% of Charlton fans have never heard of him or, if they have, couldn't tell you who he is, what he does or point him out in a police line-up.
    Yeah but they're crying out for a CEO, apparently 
    They’re not, but that’s not the issue either. People who have enough interest in these things do overwhelmingly believe a chief exec is needed. That isn’t to say that it’s a main concern of most fans, but that’s not the point.
    I agree that a CEO is needed, but just don't feel the issue warrants the attention it gets
    I think we’re all desperately looking for answers to why it’s not going so well at the moment. It’s probably really just a combination of all the things people mention. A few tweaks here and there, a few more quality players - and a little bit of luck - and we might be flying high next season. You never know. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Yeah but they're crying out for a CEO, apparently 
    They’re not, but that’s not the issue either. People who have enough interest in these things do overwhelmingly believe a chief exec is needed. That isn’t to say that it’s a main concern of most fans, but that’s not the point.
    I agree that a CEO is needed, but just don't feel the issue warrants the attention it gets
    I think we’re all desperately looking for answers to why it’s not going so well at the moment. It’s probably really just a combination of all the things people mention. A few tweaks here and there, a few more quality players - and a little bit of luck - and we might be flying high next season. You never know. 
    Reckon there will always be tweaks needed to be made, no matter what league we're in, but at this time I personally see no correlation in our specific situation, between not having a CEO and the standard of performances on the pitch.

There were people supposedly more than capable of building, training and setting up that squad and money was made available for them to do it. Unless we’re saying that employing a CEO on top of a Technical Director and Director of Football is what was needed to do the above correctly?

I’m with the notion that we should have a CEO; said it a while back that I don’t understand why YS doesn’t employ a “footballing” CEO and have the conventional scouting set up in place, rather than what we had (When Roddy was still here) but I still don’t think having one would’ve made a blind bit of difference to the position we find ourselves in today, eccept cleaner toilets and a better ticketing system.

• Options
    *TS
  • Options
    Personally (can't speak for anyone else) the whole CEO business isn't necessarily DIRECTLY connected to the form of the team but I do genuinely think that you can use it to extrapolate TS'  attitude and style (I.E. He is the Top Dog and does everything himself) and presume he takes a similar approach to the team as well.

Which in one sense is commendable inasmuch as he has good intentions and genuinely does want to succeed. But the downside appears to be a bit of the Dunning-Kruger effect - he doesn't realise the differences between a British football club and an American business and assumes that his success in one field automatically transitions to another. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Personally (can't speak for anyone else) the whole CEO business isn't necessarily DIRECTLY connected to the form of the team but I do genuinely think that you can use it to extrapolate TS'  attitude and style (I.E. He is the Top Dog and does everything himself) and presume he takes a similar approach to the team as well.

Which in one sense is commendable inasmuch as he has good intentions and genuinely does want to succeed. But the downside appears to be a bit of the Dunning-Kruger effect - he doesn't realise the differences between a British football club and an American business and assumes that his success in one field automatically transitions to another. 
    Fair comment.

But do you think a CEO was needed as well as, Roddy and Gallen (both well respect within the game), and would have it resulted in a better league position?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:

Fair comment.

But do you think a CEO was needed as well as, Roddy and Gallen (both well respect within the game), and would have it resulted in a better league position?
    That's a good question but the honest answer is... I don't know. I find it hard to believe that it could realistically have ended in a WORSE position, but who knows?

But given that the current/old system really doesn't seem to work very well I would say that a change should be considered at the very least. 
  • Options
    Where I struggle is - It seems that because people can't pin TS down for not investing in the right staff and / or player signings etc, they focus on the fact we don't have a CEO.

Just think that between those involved since TS showed up, there should have been a better outcome this season.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Where I struggle is - It seems that because people can't pin TS down for not investing in the right staff and / or player signings etc, they focus on the fact we don't have a CEO.

Just think that between those involved since TS showed up, there should have been a better outcome this season.
    Honestly, realistically there probably should. I don't know why things are going wrong on the pitch and I'm certainly not saying that if we'd had a different way of doing things the team would miraculously be playing better as we just don't know what would have happened. 

However, I do think you can ask legitimate questions and have legitimate concerns about how things are behind the scenes as a separate issue to the problem with the team.

If the team was fighting for promotion then maybe a lot of this other stuff would not have come to light or be seen as important, but it has and I think the problems it highlights are significant. 
  • Options

Most of those are fair points, unless you mean the morale and motivation of the playing squad and management.

None of others would be affecting our current league position. So all this clamour for a CEO is unrelated to the team losing then...

100% correct! This CEO business is just something that people have grabbed hold. It is pretty irrelevant in terms of the management of the team.
    Would a CEO's package be about £200k per year? Or would we prefer that spent on the playing budget?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Ferryman said:

Most of those are fair points, unless you mean the morale and motivation of the playing squad and management.

None of others would be affecting our current league position. So all this clamour for a CEO is unrelated to the team losing then...

100% correct! This CEO business is just something that people have grabbed hold. It is pretty irrelevant in terms of the management of the team.
    Would a CEO's package be about £200k per year? Or would we prefer that spent on the playing budget?
    He’ll have wasted that at The Valley by not having one. The Oxford / MK “sell-out” is a good example of something that could not have happened with someone in charge on the ground. Not saying that of itself cost a lot of money but the general approach to free tickets has, because they’ve been used by people who would have paid. Giving free tickets to random people in the hope they turn up is hopeless.
  • Options
    This season has flopped and it’s disappointing, but it is TS’ first full season as owner.  I know he had the majority of last season, but it can take time to get things up and running and he had to come in, assess and adapt. 

Personally, and I know this won’t be the opinion of others, but I am willing to forget this season and chalk it up as a failure and we move on.  I get the comments about blowing the league out the water, the failed transfer business and how badly the team have performed, but we can’t dwell on it.

The key for me is the summer and how we go about tackling next season and who we recruit.  Of course, I think it’s disconcerting re; the lack of a man on the ground to run things, especially as it seems the operational side is still very much being controlled by Keohane, which is a problem.  I doubt he can run the club properly from the U.S, but, if we do start to see success on the pitch next season then from my point of view he’d have turned it around 

This summer is big.  We need quality and lots of it.  I’ll get a bit nervous if we start offering deals to the likes of Elliott Lee, Leko and resigning Matthews again 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I was at school during the eighties I used to stand up to all the big club bully boy knobheads, questioning why they 'supported' those clubs and emphasising my loyalty to Charlton by claiming that 'I would support them even if we went down to Division 4.'

Unfortunately this hypothetical conditional is now a present conditional. Nevertheless posters on here accuse others of being too negative or 'entitled.' lol

I have stuck to my promise even though admittedly I only get to two or three games a season due to my place of residence.

Unlike in the late eighties there are now automatic relegation places to the 'fifth division.' Unbelievably we are facing the possibility of playing there, losing The Valley (well actually we already have!), and groundsharing with Welling. It's one of many realities possible but I'd say now a 10 per cent chance, and growing. If you have any doubt, just look at the last 20 years. Also consider the arrogance of this albeit friendly, jovial, wacky owner. 

This owner should do the opposite to Duchatelet and tap into the resources of supporter knowledge and experience. He may only have experience of watching games on Sky but we have fans who've seen it all in these leagues for decades. We know what works and what doesn't better than him. I honestly think that even just by getting @Airman Brown as CEO and @golfaddick as financial director then we'd be better off and these are just two examples of dozens of possibilities. There are doubtless better candidates for those aforementioned roles, but amongst Lifers generally we could do better than at present. But hey ho, I guess we'll get that opportunity eventually when we're non league, the Supporters Trust own the club and we're playing the role of underdog to Bromley.

• Options
    Would combining the COO and CEO roles make sense @Airman Brown ? That would of course give you the opportunity ask the present incumbent to apply for the job, whilst seeking out other well qualified applicants. Obviously you’d pay more to someone capable of handling the combined role.