Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Milton Keynes | Tuesday 22 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Jackson said Fraser had a rough time with covid, so unless it was kidology I’d be surprised if he’s even on the bench unfortunately. 
    I’d try AMB in goal.
    Lavelle had a good enough start to his time at Charlton, so would be happy to see him start today. 
    Doubt we’ll see Inniss after he seemed to be suffering on Saturday, which is a shame. A back three of Lavelle, Inniss and Famewo would be solid combo. 
    I’d play Purrington on the left and Jaiyesimi on the right. 
    I’d also play Burstow on his own up top, with Lee just behind him.
    Still gutted at the way the team folded after such a good start against Oxford. Their heads dropped, and the players, along with the crowd, went very quiet. In the first 20 mins players movement off the ball was excellent, but after they went into their shells it dried up completely. 
    It was good to see Burstow looking quite angry about it.
    1-3 to MKD unfortunately. They have everything to play for, and will love playing on a decent playing surface. 
    I’m almost hoping the trains are disrupted by the storms, so I won’t have to be there. 
    AMB is still at Ross County I believe…
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I wonder if JJ is required to select an attacking team by the owner and his son who have FA soccer experience but have vision of what they think soccer should be, even when all your strikers are incapacitated 
    does amaze me the leaps some will make to exonerate Jackson of any blame.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Mac 
    Lavelle. Pearce. Famewo. 
    Jay Dobson Fraser Morgan Castillo
    Kanu Burstow

At least we will have players playing in their own positions and the kids up front can hardly do any worse.

I’m convinced it will be more like this .  I can’t see how he can change to a back 4- we looked even worse with it .  
    The back 4 had a midfielder in central defence, who then got himself sent off.
  • Options
    chilham said:
    Is MacG still the 'best' keeper? After the debacle of Saturday and a few more recent in-decisions, perhaps time to let him continue his paternity leave and give the shout to Harness. Campbell showed well in his cameo too, worth a few more minutes?
    I have no confidence in McGillvray, and I doubt our defenders have either.
    We should try a goalie who can catch the ball instead.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Jackson has lost the plot.  I expect a couple of forced changes, and a chance for this bunch of lackluster brainless footballers to keep the score down.

If Oxford can hit four easily, expect MKD to try and emmulate it.

0-3

If he names a starting line even close to the one on Saturday that will be it for me. He will fully deserve to be gone Wednesday morning 
    Don't mind me asking but who would you play, I would be interested in your striker selection cos that ones got me baffled 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I can see a typical Charlton response......a win  !!!    but only if Jacko changes it up & actually selects players that play in their rightful positions. My team would be

Mac
            Lavelle    Innis    Famewo 
    Matthews  Gilbey  Lee Dobson Castillo 
                          Fraser
                        Burstow

We will win this.  2-0 (Fraser & Burstow)

• Options
    I can see a typical Charlton response......a win  !!!    but only if Jacko changes it up & actually selects players that play in their rightful positions. My team would be

Mac
            Lavelle    Innis    Famewo 
    Matthews  Gilbey  Lee Dobson Castillo 
                          Fraser
                        Burstow

We will win this.  2-0 (Fraser & Burstow)

He will go back to 352 

Mac 

Laville 
    Pearce
    Famewo

DJ
    Castello

Dobson
    Gilbey
    Fraser 

Burstow
    Kanu 

• Options
    chilham said:
    Is MacG still the 'best' keeper? After the debacle of Saturday and a few more recent in-decisions, perhaps time to let him continue his paternity leave and give the shout to Harness. Campbell showed well in his cameo too, worth a few more minutes?
    Debacle is making 4 fantastic saves … he done nothing wrong on Saturday .. in fact he hardly made any errors all season 

He has the 17th best save % of goalkeepers to have played more than 10 games in League 1 and is incapable of commanding his area.

And for a keeper that cannot command his area he needs to be a far better shot stopper than that.

He's been poor recently and below average for this league all season.
  • Options
    My eldest has invited me to an evening at The Valley tomorrow, pre & post match drinks at his. Looking forward to this, just the the football not keen on, however, we do have a 100% win rate whenever we have rocked up this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How can I put this?

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    Quite like 'Debacle' as a nickname for MacGillivray 
  • Options
    chilham said:
    Debacle is making 4 fantastic saves … he done nothing wrong on Saturday .. in fact he hardly made any errors all season 
    I will give you Wimbledons first goal for starters but in fairness to you Ronnie, you like rattling cages and seeing the reaction, whatever gets you there I spose.
  • Options
    chilham said:
    You do it on purpose.
  • Options
    chilham said:
    Why?
  • Options
    Amazed people on here are suggesting the selection of Matthews and Gilbey after their shameful performances on Saturday.

I have nothing against either of them per se but that is just rewarding bad behaviour. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I fear for the worst. MK Dons are punching way above their weight in terms of squad size. But they've got a settled and coherent team and system and they execute it well. I was quite impressed by them earlier in the season.

Charlton on the other hand... 

If we play three at the back to sort of match them (3-4-3 vs 3-5-2), we would probably have to put out roughly the same side as Saturday. If we go to a diamond 4-4-2, we risk getting overrun on the flanks. I would probably go with the diamond and hope to overwhelm them in the center of the park. But we all know where our problem lies at the moment, and that's up front. The ball will go forward but it's unlikely to stick. I could see us nicking one from a set piece perhaps, but given the way we're defending I think we'll need at least one to get a result.

We're likely to have a side that will be lacking on the flanks and up front. So if we don't get a result against a team 3rd in the table, so be it. But I hope Jacko is able to get a response out of this team tomorrow. And I hope that he improves things in terms of set up and game plan. That matters to me more than a result at this stage. It's a big game for Jacko, I really hope he comes out of it well. 
  • Options
    Had hoped Leko had played his last game for us after his first stint. That hasn't changed. I hope he has played his last game for us now. Truly up there with the Ralph Milnes and Peter Garlands of ineptitude. 
    It is a shame quite a few season ticket holders on here are deciding to 'not bother' attending tonight's match with the impressive MK Dons. What kind of support is THAT? I do hope you will give the tickets to those who WILL support our club. The players are clearly low on confidence. The best players are injured and cack are therefore being picked. This requires every effort by the '12th man' - us.  To lose by the same margin as we did against Oxford seems highly probable tonight also. In fact MK Dons and Oxford are not too dissimilar. They both have lots of goals in them. Played neat attacking football and can hurt you from outside the box. We have none of these attributes. With or without the 'star players' of Stockley Washington and Aneke. Knowing we have nothing up front and a midfield made up of women, perhaps we could really concentrate on keeping a clean sheet. I'd be really happy with a nil - nil. Against MK Dons!!! This must surpass even the desperation of the Roland appointments. If it IS a relegation scrap come March/April then JJ's gone. Half the squad is gone and TS is looking at starting again AGAIN. I wouldn't be surprised if even he is gone if we fail to win promotion next season as well. 

I recall when Bowyer took the reins and Karl Robinson was gone in an instant. We all thought rubbish had left and quality and 'true charlton' had returned. And here we are. Just been thrashed by a Robinson team clearly heading for promotion and we are 3 games from being in the relegation places to division two!!!

So lets get behind the team and show up tonight. It really may be the difference between playing in this division next season ... or something worse! COYA!  

• Options
    Had hoped Leko had played his last game for us after his first stint. That hasn't changed. I hope he has played his last game for us now. Truly up there with the Ralph Milnes and Peter Garlands of ineptitude. 
    It is a shame quite a few season ticket holders on here are deciding to 'not bother' attending tonight's match with the impressive MK Dons. What kind of support is THAT? I do hope you will give the tickets to those who WILL support our club. The players are clearly low on confidence. The best players are injured and cack are therefore being picked. This requires every effort by the '12th man' - us.  To lose by the same margin as we did against Oxford seems highly probable tonight also. In fact MK Dons and Oxford are not too dissimilar. They both have lots of goals in them. Played neat attacking football and can hurt you from outside the box. We have none of these attributes. With or without the 'star players' of Stockley Washington and Aneke. Knowing we have nothing up front and a midfield made up of women, perhaps we could really concentrate on keeping a clean sheet. I'd be really happy with a nil - nil. Against MK Dons!!! This must surpass even the desperation of the Roland appointments. If it IS a relegation scrap come March/April then JJ's gone. Half the squad is gone and TS is looking at starting again AGAIN. I wouldn't be surprised if even he is gone if we fail to win promotion next season as well. 

I recall when Bowyer took the reins and Karl Robinson was gone in an instant. We all thought rubbish had left and quality and 'true charlton' had returned. And here we are. Just been thrashed by a Robinson team clearly heading for promotion and we are 3 games from being in the relegation places to division two!!!

So lets get behind the team and show up tonight. It really may be the difference between playing in this division next season ... or something worse! COYA!  

Bit harsh on big fat Pete there. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bit harsh on big fat Pete there. 
    Bit harsh on women too. 
  • Options
    Think we nick it tonight, 7-4 Charlton. Souare Hattrick off the bench.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cafc4life said:
    Ah, those were days when defences were on top Charlton 7 Portsmouth 4 and five goals for Johnny Summers, October 1960 😉.
  • Options
    Amazed people on here are suggesting the selection of Matthews and Gilbey after their shameful performances on Saturday.

I have nothing against either of them per se but that is just rewarding bad behaviour. 
    I think it’s the lack of alternatives unfortunately.  I reckon most of us would love to say bring someone else in, but we literally only have 2 or 3 good players at a push, depending on your opinion.  I’m of the opinion Dobson is good.  I like Clare, I think he’s just had a terrible last few games.  Fraser will prove to be a very good signing.  After that I think a couple are okay, like Stockley and Aneke.  Just okay mind, not on the same level as Dobson.  Washington works hard.  Lavelle might be okay, I just don’t know.  Inniss is good but we have to manage his fitness.  Then the rest are either mediocre or crap.  Good times 
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Who do you think will score MK Dons other goal?
  • Options
    Going for a 2-2 scoreline in homage of the date: 22022022
  • Options
    If we are to get anything tonight we must score first and probably second, how we go about that I have no idea, dismal game but hopefully 1-0.
  • Options

100% this. I couldn't find the words to express just how ridiculous I think it is. 

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I can't figure out what our best formation is with the players we have... Well beyond it not being 3-5-2 (With these players). 

I'm going to suggest a 5-4-1 as we don't have two fit strikers and need to stop leaking goals. Knowing our luck our players will get in each others way in defence.

MacGillivray

*Gunter - Lavelle - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington**

Leko - Dobson - Fraser - Jaiyesimi

Burstow

Subs: Harness, Pearce, Matthews, Morgan, Lee, Campbell, Kanu 

*= Not thrilled to bring back Gunter, but Matthews is benched due to recent 'efforts' and Gilbey dropped entirely... How could he be THAT anonymous on Saturday?
    ** he's a LB that likes to get forward not a LCB or a consistent LWB. 

1-0 win, Fraser to score 
  • Options
    I reckon we will do 'em. 
    1-0, ugly game but we keep them from scoring and Burstow gets ours.